ENG New site

Advanced search
[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
General suggestions
DeathStarDate: Sunday, 05.06.2016, 20:32 | Message # 826
Pioneer
Group: Users
Croatia
Messages: 515
Status: Offline
Quote sclarinval ()
I honestly think the game itself is beautiful, but I think the interface could be much improved. I spent a while in Photoshop and Adobe Premiere to show how I think it should look. So this isn't an actual mod I made or anything, it's just a mockup.

But anyway, here is the video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlinVp7FQwo.

And here is an image:

Just some notes: I said in the video that the button in the bottom left centers the planet on the screen. I miss worded that, it should say that it goes directly to the planet (the equivalent of pressing G). Also, I changed the look of that button slightly in the screenshot compared to the video, to make it fit more it. And I also forgot to add a time control section. I think that would just be another button in the menu, as I don't think it's used enough to be immediately available, and it'd just clutter up the UI.

So I really hope that SpaceEngineer takes this into consideration, and I'd love feedback. Thanks! :)

P.S: This is also my first time posting, so don't judge if I did anything weirdly. xD


Completely agree that the UI needs a facelift. Sure, it's clean, but it just feels.... boring, if you ask me. Then again, all of this is up to personal preference. I'd very much like to use a UI such as yours(with minor modifications to things like the planet info tab, for example).
 
TheAstrobiologistDate: Monday, 06.06.2016, 02:27 | Message # 827
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Messages: 7
Status: Offline
I would love to be able to search for objects by selecting a range in the ESI biggrin




Why fear our insignificance in the Universe? Because of it we have infinite wonders to explore, and it gives us the freedom to make what we want of our lives.
 
OstariskDate: Monday, 06.06.2016, 03:13 | Message # 828
Pioneer
Group: Users
Australia
Messages: 451
Status: Offline
Quote TheAstrobiologist ()
I would love to be able to search for objects by selecting a range in the ESI

Along with that, I want to be able to search for planets by super specific parameters, such as whether the planet has rings or not, if it is tidally locked, if it has a lot of craters, if the planet is ice cold, if it is in a specific galaxy, and so on.






My mods
 
AlekDate: Monday, 06.06.2016, 22:36 | Message # 829
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 326
Status: Offline
Quote Ostarisk ()
Along with that, I want to be able to search for planets by super specific parameters, such as whether the planet has rings or not, if it is tidally locked, if it has a lot of craters, if the planet is ice cold, if it is in a specific galaxy, and so on.


--You can already search for ringed/nonringed planets
--You can already search for tidally-locked/non-tidally-locked planets
-Why craters? To find planets with lots of craters just look for selenas.
--You can already search temperature ranges
-Why is this even needed? You can just select the planet, fly outside the galaxy it's in, select the galaxy, look at the name, hit the "backspace" key, and press G to go back to the planet...All cataloged, non-modded planets are in the Milky Way and the glaxy name is part of every procedural planet name.





Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.
 
n0b0dyDate: Thursday, 16.06.2016, 10:58 | Message # 830
Explorer
Group: Users
Pirate
Messages: 297
Status: Offline
Star surface animation in universe sandbox2 :
sol:

giant stars:



just a wish rolleyes

(please Space Engineer cry )
 
FastFourierTransformDate: Friday, 17.06.2016, 09:58 | Message # 831
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Messages: 542
Status: Offline
Another suggestion for the far future :)

Following the research of Carl Rodriguez it looks like for globular clusters of around a million stars we can find between 1500 and 3000 black holes after just 10 million years. The black holes tend to sink to the core of the cluster and star a giant black hole mosh pit that can endure for quite long (scattering many black holes in the process).

They have produced a film that show the view near the core of the cluster (60 black holes in view) and how they interact. All the gravitational lensing and the beauty of the motion of stars and BH is for me mersmerizing. I hope to see this one day simulated in SpaceEngine cry

Watch the simulation here: https://videos.files.wordpress.com/eIDzkCA....dvd.mp4
 
SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 17.06.2016, 16:05 | Message # 832
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Messages: 4800
Status: Offline
OMG
Rendering of this will be difficult...





 
sinsforealDate: Friday, 17.06.2016, 17:30 | Message # 833
Space Pilot
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 129
Status: Offline
SpaceEngineer, Well you do plan to implement this eventually? Correct?




"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"
 
DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 17.06.2016, 18:18 | Message # 834
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Messages: 3600
Status: Offline
Quote sinsforeal ()
Well you do plan to implement this eventually? Correct?


Same thing applies to all these questions

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Anyway, I should note: as long as SE is a scientifically accurate Universe simulator, then one day it will implement ALL space objects and phenomenon that are known to modern astronomy (if this would be possible to implement on the personal computers). So you may not bother yourself with questions like "will SE one day have meteor rain implemented". I guarantee that it WILL.





Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB
 
sinsforealDate: Friday, 17.06.2016, 18:26 | Message # 835
Space Pilot
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 129
Status: Offline
DoctorOfSpace, YAY! yahoo yahoo




"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"
 
sclarinvalDate: Saturday, 18.06.2016, 18:22 | Message # 836
Astronaut
Group: Users
Pirate
Messages: 41
Status: Offline
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
OMG
Rendering of this will be difficult...


I'm sure it would be :(

But I'd say, a nice place to start would be to improve the interface. Just saying. wink (I posted here a while ago, how I think it should look, here: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/8-1386-65335-16-1465153963 )


Edited by sclarinval - Saturday, 18.06.2016, 21:18
 
HornblowerDate: Tuesday, 21.06.2016, 12:40 | Message # 837
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 714
Status: Offline
The default keys for Sound and Music should be swapped with the Screenshot Keys. The music player would default to F11 and Sound to CTRL-F11. The screenshot keys would be F12 and CTRL-F12. This way when you take a screenshot on steam, you also get a copy in your screenshots folder. What does everyone think? Would you all rather have two different screenshot buttons or just one for the steam version?
 
JackDoleDate: Tuesday, 21.06.2016, 13:27 | Message # 838
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
Messages: 1742
Status: Offline
Why do you not change the hotkey for screenshots in Steam Overlay to F11? You can do this at any time!

Or better, why do you not make the suggestion to Steam to change the hotkey to F11, so that it better corresponds to SpaceEngine? dry

Apart from the fact that there are people who do not play SpaceEngine on Steam and also have no intention to do it. wink

And there are people who use other programs for screenshots and video recordings.
I use MSIAfterburner, have the hotkey F11, and always make two screenshots at once, one without GUI with SpaceEngine and one with GUI with MSIAfterburner.





Don't forget to look here.

 
SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 21.06.2016, 15:09 | Message # 839
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Messages: 4800
Status: Offline
Quote Hornblower ()
This way when you take a screenshot on steam, you also get a copy in your screenshots folder. What does everyone think? Would you all rather have two different screenshot buttons or just one for the steam version?

Then steam screenshot could have a slightly visible text "Saving screenshot xxx.jpg" in the middle of the screen. The same issue as with music player.





 
sclarinvalDate: Tuesday, 21.06.2016, 17:26 | Message # 840
Astronaut
Group: Users
Pirate
Messages: 41
Status: Offline
Just an idea for gas giants: Right now they have surfaces, which is kinda strange. It would be awesome if gas giants could form as small rocky planets with insanely thick and opaque atmospheres, meaning that you cold fly inside of one and not reach a surface. I think it would be a really awesome change, and hopefully wouldn't be too hard to do. smile
 
Search: