ENG New site

Advanced search
[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
General suggestions
philociraptorDate: Sunday, 06.03.2016, 23:31 | Message # 706
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
Messages: 2
Status: Offline
Quote
This may be ambiguous. On a tidally locked planet, time of day have no sense. A planet with 90° axial tilt (like Uranus) once in a year facing the sun by by it's pole - local time have no sense in this moment. A planet with long rotational period and eccentric orbit may have moments in time when sun moved backward in the sky, sitting at the east or rising at the west (like on Mercury).


Yes, this may have to apply to the worlds that have rotation, orbit-to-rotation ratio, and the applicable tilt. Much in the same way as atmospheric pressure, for those that have an atmosphere. I don't see any discrepancy with a tidal-locked world, since the time wouldn't vary, but be proportional to lat/long.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

By the way, Vladimir, I imagined such a program as this, about 20 years ago. I played with Celestia for a bit. But, I felt that modern computers could at least allow a seamless transition from atmosphere to space, to another star, to atmosphere in the way you have done. But, you went much further than my expectation with procedural generation. It's actually incredibly awesome, what you have created.
 
PlutonianEmpireDate: Monday, 07.03.2016, 01:02 | Message # 707
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 475
Status: Offline
Since custom hues and saturations of atmospheres are now available as of RC 1, would it be possible to add a randomization parameter, that one could use for custom catalog planets? As far as I can tell, leaving out the Hue and Saturation parameters make SE default to Hue 0 and Saturation 1. Perhaps a "RandomizeColor true"? Granted the pseudo-random color would only change when the seed changes, and so forth.




Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )
 
SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 07.03.2016, 02:28 | Message # 708
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Messages: 4800
Status: Offline
Quote PlutonianEmpire ()
As far as I can tell, leaving out the Hue and Saturation parameters make SE default to Hue 0 and Saturation 1. Perhaps a "RandomizeColor true"? Granted the pseudo-random color would only change when the seed changes, and so forth.

SE indeed keeps 0 and 1 for catalog planets, to not break down Earth and Solar System planets. Why not set up some value manually for your custom planet?





 
PlutonianEmpireDate: Monday, 07.03.2016, 03:46 | Message # 709
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 475
Status: Offline
Defauting to 0 and 1 is good to begin with. I figured an optional randomization parameter might be beneficial for the creative aspects of sci fi world building. Not to mention, if one used custom compositions for atmosperes, it would tell SE to try to automatically determine the best hue/saturation levels if one already specified a specific atmosphere model.




Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )
 
jacobaaronberubeDate: Tuesday, 08.03.2016, 00:46 | Message # 710
Observer
Group: Users
Pirate
Messages: 11
Status: Offline
But I went forward towards the black hole, then it wrapped around me towards the back, then, when I got to the center, I couldnt find the exit....
 
WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 08.03.2016, 01:12 | Message # 711
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Messages: 2613
Status: Offline
jacobaaronberube, you are not inside the black hole, despite what it might look like. This is a counter-intuitive effect of relativity when you are hovering close to a black hole's event horizon.

Read about it in the discussion starting here. smile





 
jacobaaronberubeDate: Tuesday, 08.03.2016, 07:12 | Message # 712
Observer
Group: Users
Pirate
Messages: 11
Status: Offline
Oohh... dur. I feel stupid XD
 
BridgettenDate: Wednesday, 16.03.2016, 20:13 | Message # 713
Space Tourist
Group: Banned
United States
Messages: 22
Status: Offline
I have a idea What about dwarf galaxies?

Dwarf galaxy is a galaxy all galaxies smaller than Large Magellanic Cloud would called "Dwarf Galaxy" instend "Galaxy" also Small/Large Magellanic Cloud galaxy should as dwarf galaxy

Here is wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_galaxy
 
PlutonianEmpireDate: Wednesday, 16.03.2016, 22:59 | Message # 714
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 475
Status: Offline
After downloading and installing Rodrigo's updated mod for RC 1 and exploring one of my custom worlds, I got an idea. Would it be possible to have two styles of mountains, like there are for hills? One would be the standard SE ridge mountains, and the other would be the new Rodrigo/Klud mountains. It would provide a greater variety of mountain ranges to explore, and I think Earth has a similar diversity of mountains in real life as well. Some ranges are ridged like the standard SE montes, and other ranges are like the Klud/Rodrigo montes.

Also, would it be possible to combine the shaders for volcanoes and shaders for the ice crack, to create a new shader for alien night lights, either for cities and/or bioluminescence? I managed to tweak the volcano "hack" little bit and on the surface of my planet, the bright lines of light remind me of alien roadways. :)

Edit: The volcano hack I referenced is here: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3370-1 . For my planet, I upped volcano octaves to 3 and frequency from 25000 to 100000.





Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

Edited by PlutonianEmpire - Wednesday, 16.03.2016, 23:05
 
SalvoDate: Thursday, 17.03.2016, 07:21 | Message # 715
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Messages: 1400
Status: Offline
Quote PlutonianEmpire ()
for cities

It would be very nice but just as "cheat" or hidden feature, since it's very very unrealistic.

Besides the fact that we don't know how common alien cities are, if there is any, and if an alien civility needs lights, it would be very unrealistic because as soon as you fly near the surface you wouldn't see any city but just a giant yellow (I guess?) blob. sad





The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)
 
lupusDate: Thursday, 17.03.2016, 09:24 | Message # 716
Observer
Group: Users
Poland
Messages: 13
Status: Offline
Good point with those cities. To help imagining how ridiculously different can an alien civilization grow, and how humans can mistake aspects of their civilization for something else, I recommend "Fiasco" by Stanislav Lem (one of the greatest hard sci-fi novels I've ever read).

In fact, if Space Engineer wants to keep his creation 100% scientifically accurate, it is really better not to add any alien cities at all. Modeling nonsentient alien life is difficult enough with all its possibilities and our lack of further perspective.


Edited by lupus - Thursday, 17.03.2016, 09:25
 
405helDate: Friday, 18.03.2016, 17:01 | Message # 717
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
Messages: 4
Status: Offline
Can we get larger procedural asteroids? I found it weird that there's no asteroids above 200 km in diameter when our system has like a dozen of those...
 
SalvoDate: Monday, 21.03.2016, 07:41 | Message # 718
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Messages: 1400
Status: Offline
I've been three days with a person who teaches astronomy (on Schools, YouTube, and so on...) and we talked about SpaceEngine.

The first thing he told me was that the controls were not clear.
Every-time he showed SE to someone, and let him/her try it, no-one was able to do anything!
I mean: they sat on the chair and the only thing they could do, without asking, was moving around.

So I thought... What about making a tutorial?

It could show to the user what you can do with SE (and how to do it), maybe just the first time you open it.
Then, the next times, it could be selected on the menu or a button that says "Show Tutorial" could appear for a few seconds when you open the planetarium.

What do you think? Could this be added to the To-Do list?





The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)
 
SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 21.03.2016, 18:36 | Message # 719
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Messages: 4800
Status: Offline
Yes, tutorial must be implemented, probably before releasing on Steam.




 
JackDoleDate: Tuesday, 22.03.2016, 23:48 | Message # 720
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
Messages: 1742
Status: Offline
I find, SpaceEngine needs an undo function that remembers the last position, so that you can return if accidentally the position is changed by an incorrect keystroke or mouse click! wink




Don't forget to look here.

 
Search: