[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Very unusual phobia
Very unusual phobia
HuskyDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 15:54 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Poland
Hello there.

I have used SE very often, because I always loved space, the universe and every single similar thing. But there's a thing, which is highly disturbing for me. I always have something like discomfort, when I fly into a dark space, without any references. I'm a little bit scared for no reason. I don't know, why I feel like this, though I enjoy these space views a lot.

It's kind like: "What, if I'd fly accidently into a planet? Or Black Hole? Or something, which I prefer to watch from a distance...?"
I feel such of fear from Black Holes too. It's fine, when they are far away. But when I'd come closer - I guess, I would quit the game immediately. It's terryfing for me to feel lost in the space.

I know, it sounds silly, but it's a serious problem for me. Has it a name? Fear of darkness? Fear of being lost? Fear of the unknown?

Can I even fight with it? It brings me a really annoying psychical discomfort. What's the psychological reason of that? happy

DeathStarDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 15:58 | Message # 2
Pioneer
Group: Users
Croatia
You're not alone on the fear of black holes. There is an entire thread about how people have a fear of black holes. Personally, I only don't like them because once I goto one, it zooms me in a little too much so it is kind of in my face. Deep space I actually love.

I used to be frightened of black holes too. Then I just decided to try and get rid of my fear by choosing one and just doing a goto. It really isn't that eerie if you look at them from a distance. They are very cool to be honest.

Edited by DeathStar - Friday, 03.01.2014, 15:59

apenpaapDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 16:05 | Message # 3
World Builder
Antarctica
The black holes scare me too. While I like to go to them, I don't like to get too close. I'm sort of the same witht he intergalactic void; it scares me a lot when I have got the auto increase of galaxy brightness turned off. I have no problem with the galaxy brightness increase turned on though.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

RockoRocksDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 20:26 | Message # 4
World Builder
Belgium
I had such fear in the beginning. It went over actually. Although, the galactic void with no auto brightness makes me feel uncomfortable. But we can all agree that in real life, it would be lots of scarier

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

Edited by RockoRocks - Friday, 03.01.2014, 20:27

BlackeyeDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 20:41 | Message # 5
Astronaut
Germany
Yay im Not Alone ^^

DeathStarDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 20:50 | Message # 6
Pioneer
Croatia
RockoRocks, what do you mean: "With no brightness"? I actually find the intergalactic void very humbling when I look at all the galaxies around me, and I love it.

DisasterpieceDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 21:01 | Message # 7
World Builder
United States
I hate going near black holes because the pixelation around them annoys me like nothing else.

DeathStar, he was talking about the auto-increase galaxy magnitude option.

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 22:14 | Message # 8
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Disasterpiece ()
I hate going near black holes because the pixelation around them annoys me like nothing else.

Increase TRBlackHoleResolution in the main.cfg to possibly reduce this; I use 4096 personally.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

VinnyDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 22:55 | Message # 9
Explorer
United States
Hi, guys!

I'm not afraid of anything in SE at all!! Do you have any idea what star systems have black holes? I would like to fly into one of them! Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

VoekoevakaDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 22:57 | Message # 10
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
Select the Milky Way, and "go to center" (ctrl-G by default).

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 23:11 | Message # 11
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Or any galaxy or globular cluster. Or use the star browser or map to find one floating in interstellar space. There are numerous ways to find black holes.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

VinnyDate: Friday, 03.01.2014, 23:18 | Message # 12
Explorer
United States
Hi, guys!

Great! Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Vincent

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 01:39 | Message # 13
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
I have to admit to being very unnerved at flying through intergalactic space if the brightness isn't turned up. Going into galactic voids is a really eerie experience.

apenpaapDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 02:54 | Message # 14
World Builder
Antarctica
It's funny to see how common these fears are. Another thing that scares me in SE (though less so) is red giants. At least, getting very close to them is; those planets which orbit barely above their surface really unnerve me. I think it's their size and their unhealthy appearance most of all that make them creepy to me.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

VoekoevakaDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 03:09 | Message # 15
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
Before, I had a small apprehension about going far from the sun/milky way (I know the autopilot can bring me home, but I like to move without it), but after I learned how to locate these, it was gone.

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Very unusual phobia
Search: