Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Very unusual phobia
Very unusual phobia
HuskyDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 13:25 | Message # 16
Observer
Group: Newbies
Poland
I'm glad, that I'm not alone with it. I've just thought, that something's wrong with me, because these fears. But as I noticed, it's nothing really special. Maybe it's our psychological reaction for something obscure for us. Incomprehensible. I'm not sure, a real psychologist would be helpful there however.

SolarLinerDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 13:41 | Message # 17
Explorer
Group: Users
France
I had these fear when I was exploring with Celestia back, but then, I made a mistake, pushed the wrong key and accidentally crashed into Jupiter. This scared the hell out of me but that removed the fear.
Although when I'm playing Orbiter I still have sometimes these fears coming up when I approach Jupiter or Saturn.

So I'd suggest you to run into a planet or a black hole, and see what it does. Try to beat your fears smile

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

DeathStarDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 13:48 | Message # 18
Pioneer
Croatia
apenpaap, me too! Although I often go there to get some pictures, I must admit I don't like coming to a planet where the daytime sky is almost entirely a red giant.

SolarLiner, although I never had any fear of landing on the "surface" of gas giants, I certainly don't like when I crash my ship onto one and the physics start going insane. In the TODO list there is a feature called:"Improved gas giant atmospheres". I hope this means we get actual gas giant atmospheres.(without a surface lol)

Edited by DeathStar - Saturday, 04.01.2014, 13:52

PhilDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 14:19 | Message # 19
Space Tourist
United Kingdom
Not a fear or phobia, but I usually try to end a session by going back to Earth. I'll only stay in another part of the universe if I've been interrupted unexpectedly and have to log-off in the middle of doing something. I feel a little uncomfortable shutting the game down in an unknown location; it's nice to have a familiar sight when I log in, and to know where I am.

SalvoDate: Saturday, 04.01.2014, 14:36 | Message # 20
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
I had a similar thing the first times i used Celestia (that is very similar to SE), when I went too much far away (usually outside the milky way) i felt like being lost, and i was a little scared about it, maybe because in celestia the intergalactic space is much darker, in SE i never had this feeling, maybe because you can always find something, wherever you go, and because you can always easily back "home" smile

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Saturday, 04.01.2014, 14:36

BagelCollectorDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 01:21 | Message # 21
Observer
United States
I was actually JUST about to make a similar statement in the forums because I'm sure this is not atypical. What really gets me is the gas giants, you just zoom in more and more and have no idea where you're going or where you are. One time I actually jumped because there was a glitch on the screen for second (clipping through the surface) and just turned my camera around and bolted away.
I haven't encountered a Black Hole yet, but I'm guessing that I'd be just as terrified.

apenpaapDate: Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 01:38 | Message # 22
World Builder
Antarctica
Ah yeah, I had the gas giant fear too. Mainly back in Celestia when going to the inner moons of Jupiter and Saturn made me feel very uneasy already. I got over that almost entirely in SE by exploring under cloud layers of gas giants. The only time they make me uneasy now is when I go to one of their moons and the camera makes me fly right through them, which I don't enjoy with any planet really.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

Edited by apenpaap - Wednesday, 08.01.2014, 01:39

VostokTheROBOTDate: Saturday, 11.01.2014, 08:46 | Message # 23
Observer
United States
I have an innate fear of elliptical galaxies, oceanic planets, and gas giants. It's not a fear of being lost, rather it's a fear of the lack of structure in the bodies. Oceanics don't have any solid land. Gas giants don't even have liquid, it's all clouds (though in game, you can clearly see that what was meant to the upper clouds levels is just terrain hacked to simulate clouds). Ellipticals are the worst because they have no structure so it looks like a crazy 2D cutout of a giant orange mouth. This fear is also elicited by the cores of spiral galaxies, but to a lesser degree.

Pds314Date: Saturday, 11.01.2014, 11:09 | Message # 24
Space Tourist
United States
I have a very justified fear of moving through dense areas of space with lots of bright things. If I do, I sometimes crash spontaneously and lose my position. This is why I often explore galaxies by number instead of by location.

TunaOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 12.01.2014, 00:28 | Message # 25
Observer
Canada
I feel very much the opposite, and was surprised to find all these confessions. There are a number of things that make me feel very much in control (and I believe the reality of control is what defines comfort in this sort of environment). I explore with warp-capable starships, which can easily jump anywhere in the universe at will; if I want to return to Earth then I'm two clicks and ten seconds away (but Earth isn't really all that interesting to me).

I've never been afraid of suddenly running into anything. Space is enormous, and by enormous I mean even at lightspeed it'd take a few minutes to reach most planets from their local star, much less bumping into one during simple maneuvering. For me, at least, my surroundings are always well known. If I'm maneuvering into low orbit around a planet, I track my apses, relative velocity, and significant third bodies. SE will also automatically reference the nearest body for its ship movement calculations. Nothing surprises me when I can predict everything far in advance.

When I exit my starship to explore the surface in a shuttle, I leave the ship in a low-eccentricity, low altitude orbit (just above the Karman line with an apo/peri variance of a few hundred meters), and I know she'll stay there for days—weeks or months, even, if nothing else is nearby—despite her being unmanned and soaring fast over an alien landscape on simulation mode (which is very difficult to master). When I'm finished exploring I rendezvous with the starship in low orbit and transfer over, ready to warp to the next great discovery. It's a very calming experience.

As for black holes, I tried to orbit one within a hundred thousand kilometers recently (so I could actually visibly see light distortion from my ship), but the gravitation was too significant and I couldn't keep eccentricity below 1. Your relative velocity starts to pick up long before you get anywhere near a star, much less a black hole, and there are only so many places one can exist, so I'm not sure how I'd ever run into one without actually looking for it.

At the end of the day, the vast, emptiness of space is why I'm so comfortable in it; nothing surprises me. Then again, I've well-rehearsed in maneuvering and all that. Am I alone?

PS: Gas giants have solid surfaces in SE, but reaching them in a shuttle is painstakingly hilarious. Often the atmosphere gets so thick that my shuttle becomes buoyant, and turns into a dirigible, decidedly refusing to lose any further altitude. happy

Edited by TunaOfSpace - Sunday, 12.01.2014, 00:29

DinoflyDate: Tuesday, 04.03.2014, 00:42 | Message # 26
Observer
Italy
I feel different and somehow fascinating discomforts while browsing spaceengine.
I fear separation or distance from solar system, i fear the imagination od alien and disturbing worlds very far from our home.

DisasterpieceDate: Tuesday, 04.03.2014, 03:38 | Message # 27
World Builder
United States
The one place I get these fears is in a sim called spaceway. You spawn as one ship and there is only you. And if you run out of fuel, it is just you, in space, orbiting until you starve to death.

I play teh spase engien

Inspector_GadgetDate: Tuesday, 04.03.2014, 19:38 | Message # 28
Observer
Denmark
I have similar thing but that's only when I land on the night side of a planet. Whenever I accidently hit planet I usually get a shock but I quickly get over it. If I hit the night side though I feel extremely uncomfortable. I can take it if there's something else lighting up the landscape, even just a little bit. A small moon, a distant star, anything like that then I'm okay. I also freak out when I'm in a eclipse.

I don't think it's a fear of darkness or anything like that. I think we get afraid of things without structure. When we fly through the universe we get used to seeing all these rigid bodies that don't alter form or appearance. We get used to seeing planets of hard rock and stars with a smooth surface and it seems kinda nice. But then we get to something that doesn't have structure. There's nothing to stop us from falling through a gas giants surface because it doesn't have surface. There's nothing solid. Instead of something solid that stops us from moving through, we meet with gas or liquid and we're devoured by it. Slowly consumed by something pressuring from all sides yet we can't touch it. Especially if we can't see it, the effect is even more prominent.

HachoumaDate: Thursday, 06.03.2014, 21:28 | Message # 29
Space Tourist
Algeria
The only time space engine scared me was back when i didn't know much about the star browser or go-to hotkey, and went dead straight into the center of a galaxy, and i was going exactly slow enough for the black hole to pop out of nowhere and come close enough for me to glitch through the surface.

Edited by Hachouma - Thursday, 06.03.2014, 21:28

laiodDate: Friday, 04.04.2014, 03:58 | Message # 30
Space Pilot
United States
I have a phobia of being a crew member on a lost shuttle or ship in this game. Freaks me out beyond belief, being in the middle of a system with no reference whatsoever, being Gpc from Earth, knowing nothing of your location, lost forver... I can't imagine being that person.

ASUS Radeon HD 7770 2GB, Crucial Ballistix 8GB x2, AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz, 1TB 7200rpm drive

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Very unusual phobia
Search: