Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Very unusual phobia
Very unusual phobia
InariusDate: Friday, 04.04.2014, 08:24 | Message # 31
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
France
I thought I was the only one who didn't like so much going to a Black Hole !

TunaOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 01.05.2014, 03:28 | Message # 32
Observer
Group: Users
Canada
Just going to throw it out there, it's absurdly difficult to accidentally crash into a black hole. It's absurdly difficult to intentionally crash into a black hole (I've tried. A lot). If you're off by a mere degree, which you will be short of starting at zero relative velocity, the gravitational slingshot most assuredly hurls you back into deep space (and free from that dastardly anomaly's clutches). tongue

Edited by TunaOfSpace - Thursday, 01.05.2014, 03:28

schwarzwolfDate: Thursday, 01.05.2014, 14:01 | Message # 33
Astronaut
Germany
Hmm, yea i know it aswell. I feel a bit unconfortable about things looking strange or different aswell. For me thats aswell one of the allure of space games.
The fear feeling is even larger by me in ocean games where you can explore a lare deep ocean.
I hope for Space Engine, that there will be some procedural generated creatures aswell down the road. Will post my thinking in the creature thread.

Very unconfortable is the feeling by gas gigants for me. But this is most likely because of a game named Starflight i played as small child. By trying land on a planet it leaded always to a immediate game over. That gave me the thinking, gas gigants = evil.

But best way to face your fears is, by directly going into it. I have landed already on a lot of gas gigants and have flown aswell directly into a black hole already. ^^

MintyTwisterDate: Friday, 02.05.2014, 01:34 | Message # 34
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
I have a fear of all that too man, no worries.

One time I viewed a black hole because I was streaming SE to a friend, I was feeling uneasy already, then the worst thing happened, when I went to press S to move away I accidentally pressed W and made my screen smack it. I got scared senseless, felt like my rib cage just popped out of my chest with all my organs and high tailed it.

Zoomed out away from the black hole and didn't really try checking more again I believe lol.

laiodDate: Saturday, 03.05.2014, 01:14 | Message # 35
Space Pilot
United States
I have a fear of being lost in space.

ASUS Radeon HD 7770 2GB, Crucial Ballistix 8GB x2, AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz, 1TB 7200rpm drive

EnforcerDaveDate: Thursday, 26.06.2014, 15:57 | Message # 36
Observer
Canada
I remember reading somewhere about how a lot of people are really afraid of black holes. I won't go near them either, but I find I am really afraid of stars. The closer I get to a star the more fearful I get. Is it just me? Should I call for the Twinkymobile?

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 26.06.2014, 23:40 | Message # 37
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
EnforcerDave, please read the forum rules before posting. There is already a thread on that subject here, there is no need to make a new one.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

GregDate: Monday, 21.09.2015, 22:53 | Message # 38
Observer
Greece
And i thought i was the only one... It is very unnerving for me when i happen to wander too close to planets and if i must go to one i want to approach them one step at a time. If somehow the gpu rendering is slow and the planet spawns huge directly in my face it gives me the creeps. Double times that when on the night side of the planet. I also feel strange when traveling in the void... At some point the galaxies fade away and there is nothing but total darkness. I know that autopilot can get me home any time but if i wasn't relying on it i could be lost forever in the void unable to find any matter other than me again lol. About Black holes, i haven't encountered one yet. I bet it will be unpleasant going near those... Still, which are the best to go to? i googled "famous black holes" and i picked some code names for the search option but it couldn't find them for some reason.

Edited by Greg - Monday, 21.09.2015, 23:07

JackDoleDate: Monday, 21.09.2015, 23:54 | Message # 39
Star Engineer
Germany
Greg,

at the center of every galaxy is a black hole.

Don't forget to look here.

GregDate: Tuesday, 22.09.2015, 06:50 | Message # 40
Observer
Greece
I still need a name to track down. A galaxy is too huge to just aim for the center.

JackDoleDate: Tuesday, 22.09.2015, 11:17 | Message # 41
Star Engineer
Germany
Greg,

the name of the black hole in our Milky Way is RSC 8409-1177-0-0-0 S*

You can go to the center of a galaxy with Ctrl g.

If the orbits are on, you will see something like this:

Sometimes the black hole is too far away to be seen. Then select one of the orbiting stars and open with F2 the system browser. There you can select the black hole.

Attachments: 4726145.jpg (202.0 Kb) · 8296633.jpg (228.0 Kb)

Don't forget to look here.

Edited by JackDole - Tuesday, 22.09.2015, 11:18

GregDate: Tuesday, 22.09.2015, 12:15 | Message # 42
Observer
Greece
Thank you very much!

pi3fai1Date: Monday, 11.04.2016, 15:27 | Message # 43
Observer
Pirate
Honestly, the black holes just make me rather nauseous as i approach them :P

OstariskDate: Thursday, 28.04.2016, 00:13 | Message # 44
Pioneer
Australia
Normally when I'm wasting my time on Space Engine(no offence, it's supposed to be some sort of a metaphor, idk) I explore black holes, fly to the surface, examining how the orbits are distorted, and I get excited when I find a star/black hole binary system. I instantly get amazed at how the black hole's orbit itself is distorted. looks like someone is firing a laser....

Probably because of the fact that I've been watching space documentaries/space stuff/etc ever since I was a kid...

Oh and P.S: I'm having a hard time trying to give myself a fear of black holes as of right now

The only reason I'm scared of black holes is I'm just scared that an ordinar black hole will enter the solar system and ruin everything Nevrmind, don't read this if you don't wanna be scared.

My mods

Edited by Ostarisk - Thursday, 28.04.2016, 00:19

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 28.04.2016, 02:36 | Message # 45
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote Ostarisk ()
The only reason I'm scared of black holes is I'm just scared that an ordinar black hole will enter the solar system and ruin everything

Phenomenally unlikely. That is, there are many other apocalyptic cosmic events that can happen that are vastly more probable. smile

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Very unusual phobia
Search: