Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Very unusual phobia
Very unusual phobia
tracy18Date: Wednesday, 24.08.2016, 10:11 | Message # 61
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
No phobia is stupid or silly. I have fear of butterfiles which many consider to be beautiful. Being afraid of space is totally understandable since we know so little about it.

khaos526Date: Tuesday, 13.09.2016, 16:50 | Message # 62
Observer
Group: Users
United States
My fear of the Black Holes is that I'm afraid it'll crash SE. On my old computer I had issues around very bright stars and if I got too close it would freeze up and eventually crash. Now with a new fast system, I'm still lingering on to that fear it'll crash if I go into a Black Hole, though when I find one I'll try it out...

MobiyusDate: Tuesday, 13.09.2016, 21:03 | Message # 63
Observer
Canada
Interesting read. Didn't expect so much people to have such a fear, considering it's a video game and no one ever saw one for real. Personally, fear is a strong word describing how i feel toward black holes, but I sure understand why other people can be genuinely fearful of them, even virtually. I would be scared to death seeing one in real life, no doubt about that though, but in-game, meh, not really, especially not when using the camera to explore. Had much fun sinking in black holes to enjoy light distortion from up close and see the universe closing behind me. Very humbling and enjoyable experience. I don't think i could be scared when there's no jeopardy (be it real or virtual), and there is nothing at stakes when flying with the camera.

Exploring with a ship however, it's a different story. The time i used to get somewhere and maneuver in place could be wasted by a wrong decision, that is tangible jeopardy. Additionally, it may be because the immersion factor is higher when using a ship instead of the camera (for me anyway, i sorta light RP all this). Because of these factors, I had an interesting encounter that did raise my pulse and anxiety quite a bit and made me realize i do feel uneasy around stellar mass black holes when flying in ship... I wasn't expecting it.

So i found this 49km diameter black hole and tried to orbit it. I successfully reached an orbit with an eccentricity of 0.9-something-something, an Apo of a couple AU and Peri was a couple hundred kilometers... Needless to say that the final minutes before reaching Peri were quite disturbing. That thing is so small but yet so massive. Seeing the unfathomable acceleration towards a near-invisible object was nerve-racking and I was starting to wonder if there was a bug or something... It finally popped though, no bugs... Yes, popped, it did... I got very worried at that point and wondering if i was going right in it, but fortunately it didn't last. My orbit was correct and before I could think of something else, it was all over. I didn't see that black hole for more than a couple of seconds. I wasn't monitoring my velocity at that time, but moments after Peri I was going a couple thousand km/sec...

I warped away without asking for more... Interesting experience to say the least. I even learned about myself a little bit.

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 13.09.2016, 22:45 | Message # 64
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Nice write up. Stellar mass black holes are insanely compact, and it's difficult to comprehend just how intense the gravitational field and change in acceleration with distance is near them. Scary and interesting experience to be near them, indeed. smile

overtheline92Date: Friday, 07.10.2016, 13:45 | Message # 65
Observer
United Kingdom
ye i agree that this is perfectly normal, it may just be a game however it whats it represents in your mind. In real life we know that it will stretch, drag and crush you to a tiny dot...or thats the theory, we still have no idea what happens which adds to the fear for me, would i be sent somewhere i can never return from, maybe even a completely different universe where the laws are different to ours...its normal to be afraid of the unknown.

on the other hand it may be benefitial for humans to orbit one at some point, the years a human could add to their life span is fairly significant , abviously you'd be shitting yourself thinking you was going to go over the point of no return.

thats my thoughts anyway

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 07.10.2016, 23:07 | Message # 66
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote overtheline92 ()
the years a human could add to their life span is fairly significant

Well, sort of. smile You still live out the same amount of time measured on your own clock. It's just that this clock doesn't match up with everyone else's. You might come back from spending 10 years there to discover that 20 years have passed elsewhere. So you're not so much adding years to your life, as missing out on the years that pass in the rest of the universe. You're time traveling into the future, not living longer.

overtheline92Date: Saturday, 08.10.2016, 18:51 | Message # 67
Observer
United Kingdom
yes, thats what i meant i just didnt explain like you did. tin essence gravity slows you down, but you still die at the avergae "body age" of the typical human yes. i believe that..depending on the black hole, you could probably age 1 year, compared to 5 years back on earth or similar..though this is just theory...

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Very unusual phobia
Search: