Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Very unusual phobia
Very unusual phobia
JackDoleDate: Thursday, 28.04.2016, 06:31 | Message # 46
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
Quote Watsisname ()
Phenomenally unlikely.

I think as long as we do not know how many black holes are out there, no exact statement can be made.
Okay, it is less likely than an asteroid impact, because otherwise it would already have happened, and we needed to have no more fear! biggrin

Don't forget to look here.

GómezDate: Thursday, 28.04.2016, 09:22 | Message # 47
Observer
Group: Newbies
Spain
Salect a random direction, accelerate to the max and go. Probalby you´ll never hit anything.

OstariskDate: Thursday, 28.04.2016, 09:54 | Message # 48
Pioneer
Group: Users
Australia
I'm just going to point out the JackDole's banner is contradicting to my banner.....

My mods

Antza2Date: Thursday, 28.04.2016, 21:14 | Message # 49
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
I wonder if this is somehow connected to the fear of deep open water. This occurred to me when i was swimming in a deep lake and looked down. The water was very clear, so i could see fairly far down to the deep dark water and it gave me a very uncomfortable feeling. I don't personally get spooked by dark space in SE, but i can see how someone might get the same feeling from it.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 29.04.2016, 00:09 | Message # 50
Galaxy Architect
United States
Quote JackDole ()
I think as long as we do not know how many black holes are out there, no exact statement can be made.

We can make reasonable estimates from the star formation rate with initial mass function, and by surveys of x-ray binaries. smile

Don_SolarisDate: Friday, 13.05.2016, 17:01 | Message # 51
Observer
Pirate
Quote Husky ()

Can I even fight with it? It brings me a really annoying psychical discomfort. What's the psychological reason of that?
I believe none. IMO you're just thinking you're afraid. Check one thing for me - when you go to sleep and you close your eyes, you essentially see the same black void. So how come you're not afraid of it? It would be hilarious if you would be afraid - because theoretically you wouldn't be able to fall asleep. But it is the same black void. Yet you normally fall asleep. The fear was never there.

Anyway, i think you should spend as much possible time with black holes and dark voids in the SE. Until your phobia becomes boring (literally). Try it!

I was scared of holes when diving in the sea. I mean dark menacing looking holes located below you. There's a fear what if it sucks you in. But then i had a little accident with the air regulator (which got stuck right after i exhaled). Since then i no longer worry about holes, but more on the regulator getting stuck. The fear of the hole became.... boring. Literally.

Edited by Don_Solaris - Friday, 13.05.2016, 17:04

IanTheGuyDate: Saturday, 14.05.2016, 21:42 | Message # 52
Space Pilot
United States
I find all that pleseant.

Math is the "programming" language of the universe.

steeljaw354Date: Monday, 16.05.2016, 10:11 | Message # 53
World Builder
Pirate
That music called "black hole" scares me.

OstariskDate: Friday, 27.05.2016, 01:10 | Message # 54
Pioneer
Australia
Who's the artist? I'm willing to listen to the song.

My mods

WwadlolDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2016, 03:52 | Message # 55
Space Pilot
Norway
I decided to challenge myself. I have used the OR in SE a lot, but I have never thought about going to a black hole.

Sorry if the images look bad, but it looks pretty good with the OR.

I decide to go closer to it.
It's very hard to judge how large objects are in SE, Probably due to how there's no size comparison when for example, looking at a galaxy.
However, blackholes in the OR just seem to look thousands of miles in diameter despite this.

Not gonna lie, I started to regret this. As if I didn't regret seeing the black hole in the first place.
Seeing the light warp around it while flying next to it is absolutely terrifying.

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2016, 04:55 | Message # 56
Galaxy Architect
United States
That is cool! If you can, you should record a short gif or youtube video of flying near it with that split-view. smile

SalvoDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2016, 06:27 | Message # 57
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
I went to read some comments of the last Scott Manley's video about Space Engine, and I've noticed that a lot of people seems to be scared about black holes. They are not just some isolated cases, I think a good percentage of the whole users have this phobia when they start using Space Engine.

It's... incredible. This proves that you don't need to put jump-scares on something to make it terrifying, you just need to work on physiology. I'm not saying that Vladimir did that on purpose, but he created an interesting situation!

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

spacerDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2016, 13:41 | Message # 58
Star Engineer
Israel
i think its natrual that people affraid of the unknown and something that we dont fully understand

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

WwadlolDate: Wednesday, 08.06.2016, 09:22 | Message # 59
Space Pilot
Norway
Quote Salvo ()
I went to read some comments of the last Scott Manley's video about Space Engine

And as someone said in the comment section "It's the universe inside of you contemplating its eventual existence."

BananaDate: Friday, 19.08.2016, 22:03 | Message # 60
Astronaut
United States
There are many reasons why this fear occurs, including but not limited to:
1: Space is not understood. The unknown can be very frightening, especially in a place as dangerous as space.
2: Lack of control. Humans currently have almost no control over the occurrences in space.
3: Lack of navigation. Navigation in space, while possible, is very difficult. It is very, very easy to get lost in the wide expanses of the universe.
4: Space is strange, and it is considered unnatural for humans to live there. It is unlike almost everything on Earth. and if someone were to go into space unprotected, they almost certainly would not fare very well. Since SE duplicates the universe with realism, your brain may view it the same way it views really entering space.

Hello.

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Very unusual phobia
Search: