ENG New site

Advanced search
[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.7.3
SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 16.04.2015, 22:59 | Message # 1
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Messages: 4800
Status: Offline
Please post here all of your reports about bugs or crashes in SpaceEngine. Before you post any bugs, please follow these steps:

  • First of all, make sure you updated your video card drivers. This may solve 99% of all isues.
  • Read the Fixing common issues section below. It is possible that your problem can be solved there.
  • Read the List of known issues section below and make sure that your bugs are not on in it. You can use your browser's word finder to help search the list.
  • If the bug is not on the list then please post it in this thread. Attach to your message a screenshot (if possible) and a log file (it's called the se.log and is located in the SpaceEngine/system/ directory). Only the log file will help us to understand your problem and find a solution!



    Fixing videocard-specific issues

    If you do not know which videocard do you have, open the system/se.log file in the text editor and read the Vendor information in the beginning:

    INITIALIZING OPENGL
    [MT] Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.


    Then look for a solution for you:

    Nvidia: Major lag spikes


    Nvidia: Water missing on terras, clouds are below the surface


    ATI/AMD: Crash on approaching to the black hole, neutron star or white dwarf, on using ship's hyperdrive, or when enabling the Oculus Rift mode or the Fish Eye mode


    ATI/AMD: Crash on Startup on Windows 10


    Intel HD: Glitchy landscape and textures on planets


    Intel HD: Red clouds on Earth




    Fixing common issues

    1) Obsolete or incompatible drivers


    2) Weak system


    3) System with hybrid graphics (NVidia/ATI + Intel HD)


    4) Artifacts on procedural planets


    5) Frequent crashing while generating planetary surface


    6) Spaceship disappears when far from a star


    7) Blurry textures on Solar system planets


    8) Problems with very high resolution displays


    9) Problems in Windows 10 + AMD/ATI




    List of known issues

    Green items have been fixed for the next release

    Not real bugs, but effects caused by limitations in the engine:


    Real bugs:
  •  
    CinderwolfDate: Wednesday, 03.02.2016, 22:09 | Message # 376
    Observer
    Group: Newbies
    Canada
    Messages: 2
    Status: Offline
    Quote HarbingerDawn ()
    Betelgeuse is a giant star which doesn't look like normal stars (this is realistic). Go to Sol if you want to see a normal star. As for being untextured, I think you're confused by their overexposure. Low the exposure value if you want to see the surfaces of stars.


    Thank you for the clarification! smile It helped clear up my misunderstanding!

    I have one other (minor) issue. In the screenshot below, periodically I'll see a sort of "texture tearing" in space (it happens with some planets too) where it looks like the "edge of the texture" is cut/pasted next to another texture, leaving a long line through the image. I find it doesn't disappear by changing angles (for reference, that's the black hole at the center of the Andromeda galaxy) just to the right of center).

    Is it just how the texturing is or is there perhaps a setting I'm missing?

    Attachments: 3424486.jpg (478.3 Kb)
     
    HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 03.02.2016, 22:26 | Message # 377
    Cosmic Curator
    Group: Administrators
    United States
    Messages: 8717
    Status: Offline
    That's a seam in the skybox, you should only ever see it near the center of a galaxy. If I'm not mistaken that issue was fixed, you should update to at least 0.9.7.3.




    All forum users, please read this!
    My SE mods and addons
    Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM
     
    taylordonovan11Date: Thursday, 04.02.2016, 00:49 | Message # 378
    Observer
    Group: Newbies
    Pirate
    Messages: 3
    Status: Offline
    Quote HarbingerDawn ()
    taylordonovan11, terrain doesn't look spectacular everywhere you go. Like in real life, some places have amazing terrain, some places have boring terrain. The one place you showed screenshots of just happens to have boring terrain. You should explore more. Also, your computer specs make a big difference regarding the level of detail you can generate terrain at. As mentioned in the opening post, you should attach your log file so we can have more information to help you.


    Ah, alright! I see...

    Well, my hardware may be outdated, I am using a 6 year old PC, but here is the log smile

    Attachments: 5729741.log (55.0 Kb)





    :)
     
    HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 04.02.2016, 02:51 | Message # 379
    Cosmic Curator
    Group: Administrators
    United States
    Messages: 8717
    Status: Offline
    Quote taylordonovan11 ()
    here is the log

    Your specs look decent, but LOD 2 is insanely costly in terms of video memory usage. You might use up 3-4 GB worth on one scene. Read what I wrote here concerning LOD and screenshots: https://www.reddit.com/r....czmggy9





    All forum users, please read this!
    My SE mods and addons
    Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM
     
    taylordonovan11Date: Friday, 05.02.2016, 03:02 | Message # 380
    Observer
    Group: Newbies
    Pirate
    Messages: 3
    Status: Offline
    Quote HarbingerDawn ()
    Read what I wrote here concerning LOD and screenshots: https://www.reddit.com/r....czmggy9


    Ah, I see! Good idea, will have to try that!

    Thanks again!

    Added (05.02.2016, 03:02)
    ---------------------------------------------
    I have a new question. I am running version 9.7.4 build 8, and when I find a planet with more than one moon, but most of them are asteroids, the system viewer will only show satellites that are big enough and round enough to classify as moons.

    Is there a setting to change this and show all satellites? Thanks!




    :)
     
    HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 03:44 | Message # 381
    Cosmic Curator
    Group: Administrators
    United States
    Messages: 8717
    Status: Offline
    Quote taylordonovan11 ()
    Is there a setting to change this and show all satellites?

    Press the system browser settings icon, then check dwarf moons.





    All forum users, please read this!
    My SE mods and addons
    Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM
     
    AndroverseDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 07:12 | Message # 382
    Observer
    Group: Newbies
    United States
    Messages: 8
    Status: Offline
    Hey there, I downloaded Patch 8 on version 0.9.7.4 and it was fine until I went out of the Milky Way, everything disappears, it also crashed when I left the Milky Way for the first time on Patch 8. When I try to reload the game everything is still gone, not even the side menu's will work. Just a plain black screen, I have the latest drivers.

    Graphics: AMD A10 7800 R7
    8GB Ram
    Windows 10
     
    cubusmedusaDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 10:18 | Message # 383
    Observer
    Group: Newbies
    Austria
    Messages: 9
    Status: Offline
    Hi,
    maybe it is of interest for Nvidia users. I use 09.7.4 beta and I started using SE with Nvidia Driver Version 353.62 and everything was good. I updated to the latest one (361.75) and got massive Screen tearing issues - especially during faster pans. I think Nvidia screwed it up...





    Intel i7-2600K@4,6GHz, Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Asus Strix GTX 970, Corsair TX850W
     
    JackDoleDate: Friday, 05.02.2016, 10:24 | Message # 384
    Star Engineer
    Group: Local Moderators
    Germany
    Messages: 1742
    Status: Offline
    Androverse,

    if you have a file with the name 'atioglxx.dll' in the system folder of 'SpaceEngine', delete it. Otherwise post the 'se.log'. You will also find this file in the 'SpaceEngine' system directory.





    Don't forget to look here.

     
    OMGspace_engineDate: Saturday, 06.02.2016, 16:25 | Message # 385
    Observer
    Group: Users
    Brazil
    Messages: 19
    Status: Offline
    I don't know if this is the correct thread, I'm trying to made a video of Space Engine but i'm having trouble in the configuration of the codec. In all the video codecs I try to use, the result video is poor. The only way i find to the video looks good is the Uncompressed frames, but the final video archive have problems with the frames index and only VLC player can barely reproduce them. Well... what is the best codec and it's configuration to a good quality final video?
     
    HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 06.02.2016, 16:59 | Message # 386
    Cosmic Curator
    Group: Administrators
    United States
    Messages: 8717
    Status: Offline
    If you want a good result, you'll need to install a codec from the internet. Lagarith is a good codec for lossless video, but it results in large file sizes, so you'll need a lot of hard drive space if you want to make long videos. The DivX codec is good for producing good quality video at small file sizes, but it's extremely difficult to find the DivX codec pack these days.

    Also, there are threads which talk specifically about making videos in SE, this would be the best place to discuss this.





    All forum users, please read this!
    My SE mods and addons
    Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM
     
    IskanderTDDate: Sunday, 07.02.2016, 03:50 | Message # 387
    Observer
    Group: Newbies
    United States
    Messages: 2
    Status: Offline
    I got space engine and for some reason, every object (stars, planets, asteroids) are invisible.
    I am a computer idiot and can't figure out how to put the image in a post, so it is just an attachment. As you can see, the Earth is nothing but an aurora. The sun is a splotch. I updated from 0.9.2 to 0.9.3, but it didn't fix anything.

    Attachments: 6495570.jpg (224.5 Kb) · 7150922.jpg (185.0 Kb) · 6512454.log (81.8 Kb)


    Edited by IskanderTD - Sunday, 07.02.2016, 04:00
     
    HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 07.02.2016, 03:53 | Message # 388
    Cosmic Curator
    Group: Administrators
    United States
    Messages: 8717
    Status: Offline
    IskanderTD, according to your log, it looks like you don't have write permissions for the location you installed SpaceEngine to. Try running as administrator, or moving the folder to a different location (NOT Program Files).




    All forum users, please read this!
    My SE mods and addons
    Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM
     
    IskanderTDDate: Sunday, 07.02.2016, 04:05 | Message # 389
    Observer
    Group: Newbies
    United States
    Messages: 2
    Status: Offline
    HarbingerDawn, Thank you so much, it is working now. You are amazing biggrin
     
    HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 07.02.2016, 21:11 | Message # 390
    Cosmic Curator
    Group: Administrators
    United States
    Messages: 8717
    Status: Offline
    Quote htha9587 ()
    Dedicated Video Memory: 256 MB

    SpaceEngine requires 512 MB at a MINIMUM. It's amazing it even works at all with so little VRAM, never mind all the problems with AMD drivers.





    All forum users, please read this!
    My SE mods and addons
    Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM
     
    Search: