ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 8 of 8
  • «
Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Skybox and procedural planetary texture exporting
Skybox and procedural planetary texture exporting
HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 07.01.2016, 03:09 | Message # 106
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Alek ()
Well that was sure a very detailed and thorough answer :-/

What more detail could there have been? It was a yes/no question, and he already quoted a post which described why the exported skybox looks as it does. There isn't anything I can add to this discussion, other than to answer his question with the binary answer it was constructed to expect.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Tca_11aDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 00:09 | Message # 107
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Portugal
So bringing again the export resolution problem, it seems I cannot export more than 4096x4096 skybox images and 3199x1199 cylindrical maps of planet textures. I have a Nvidia gt650m and from what I can tell my graphics card doesn't support textures above 16384x16384 so why does SE crashes, the images are completely black and the graphics card driver reports a malfunction?

AlekDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 20:06 | Message # 108
Pioneer
United States
Quote Tca_11a ()
So bringing again the export resolution problem, it seems I cannot export more than 4096x4096 skybox images and 3199x1199 cylindrical maps of planet textures. I have a Nvidia gt650m and from what I can tell my graphics card doesn't support textures above 16384x16384 so why does SE crashes, the images are completely black and the graphics card driver reports a malfunction?

It's not actually crashing---there's a guide (not sure where) that tells how to keep this from happening, and it's trustworthy, as I tried it and it didn't cause any problems.

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

coldfuseDate: Friday, 23.09.2016, 14:21 | Message # 109
Observer
Group: Newbies
Poland
Okay, story time.

Since Space Engine is just generating amazing views instantly, I was always tempted to use it as skybox creator. Let's be honest, good skybox can made even worst map looking spectacular. I was so happy when I saw that Space Engine can generate skyboxes so easily, but soon came dissapointment. When I was picking my jaw from the ground after discovering that spectacular location, I saw what exporter did to my dream. Results weren't even close to perfection, especially when dealing with planet surfaces and atmosphere. Here is my tragic example.

Original view:

Exported view:

I know that using skybox exporter cuts out bloom and other post-processing, but is there any way to make those pics any closer to what we see in SE? Even exporter preview shows something different from real results (which is just as frustrating as it could be wink ). Colors are different, mood is off, even sky has a rough time. I've tried to do something in gimp, by adding glow-ish effect and changing brightness/contrast, but it still kinda sucks and fixing it this way might be beyond my capabilities, and to be completely honest – when comparing to SE view, difference was just overwhelming. Maybe there is some way to implement a script, which could take screenshots, following same axis and with 90 degrees step? Hit me with ideas, solution, whatever - any help would be highly appreciated!

Attachments: 2995278.jpg (150.3 Kb)

Edited by coldfuse - Friday, 23.09.2016, 14:23

AlekDate: Friday, 23.09.2016, 20:41 | Message # 110
Pioneer
United States
Quote coldfuse ()
Okay, story time.

Since Space Engine is just generating amazing views instantly, I was always tempted to use it as skybox creator. Let's be honest, good skybox can made even worst map looking spectacular. I was so happy when I saw that Space Engine can generate skyboxes so easily, but soon came dissapointment. When I was picking my jaw from the ground after discovering that spectacular location, I saw what exporter did to my dream. Results weren't even close to perfection, especially when dealing with planet surfaces and atmosphere. Here is my tragic example.

Original view:

Exported view:

I know that using skybox exporter cuts out bloom and other post-processing, but is there any way to make those pics any closer to what we see in SE? Even exporter preview shows something different from real results (which is just as frustrating as it could be ). Colors are different, mood is off, even sky has a rough time. I've tried to do something in gimp, by adding glow-ish effect and changing brightness/contrast, but it still kinda sucks and fixing it this way might be beyond my capabilities, and to be completely honest – when comparing to SE view, difference was just overwhelming. Maybe there is some way to implement a script, which could take screenshots, following same axis and with 90 degrees step? Hit me with ideas, solution, whatever - any help would be highly appreciated!

If you want I could try to edit the skyboxes back to looking like SE, or at least try to get it to be the same. I'd just need either a screenshot of they way you want it to look like and the skybox, or your graphics settings and the location so I can see it myself and get the skybox there too.
I think the reason the exporter cuts out bloom and lens flares and such is that when creating a spherical view, post-processing gets distorted and wouldn't look correct, so the "taking screenshots and sewing them together"-style approach wouldn't help much if any, unfortunately. The default FOV on screenshots is something like 70 degrees if I remember correctly, but each cube face i 90 degrees so there's a lot more distortion.

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

Edited by Alek - Friday, 23.09.2016, 20:46

accursedCursiveDate: Monday, 10.10.2016, 11:37 | Message # 111
Observer
New Zealand
I was wanting to use some SE planets as mockup sprites, but unfortunately I need to somehow get rather specifically top-down 4092x4092 pictures of the planet with a completely transparent background.
How could I do this.

MosfetDate: Monday, 10.10.2016, 12:12 | Message # 112
World Builder
Italy
With quite some work, I think. I'd Use "T" to target the planet, once I am at right camera altitude, I'd switch to simple auto-exposure.
Menu > Settings > Player > Screenshot format to PNG or DDS or whatever with native alpha channel.
Then from Display menu, use a custom Windowed mode size 4092x4092, and take a screenshot with F11.
I'd open the image with my favourite photo manipulation software and remove the black background.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

accursedCursiveDate: Monday, 10.10.2016, 14:18 | Message # 113
Observer
New Zealand
That works fine for planets without an atmosphere, but sadly those just so happen to also be the only ones I can't easily replicate in Blender.

RoswellDate: Friday, 21.10.2016, 02:58 | Message # 114
Pioneer
Canada
Quote coldfuse ()
Okay, story time.

Original view:

Exported view:

I know that using skybox exporter cuts out bloom and other post-processing, but is there any way to make those pics any closer to what we see in SE? Even exporter preview shows something different from real results (which is just as frustrating as it could be wink ). Colors are different, mood is off, even sky has a rough time. I've tried to do something in gimp, by adding glow-ish effect and changing brightness/contrast, but it still kinda sucks and fixing it this way might be beyond my capabilities, and to be completely honest – when comparing to SE view, difference was just overwhelming. Maybe there is some way to implement a script, which could take screenshots, following same axis and with 90 degrees step? Hit me with ideas, solution, whatever - any help would be highly appreciated!
Pièces jointes: 2995278.jpg (150Kb)

Oh my god, this export is the most beautiful landscape than original shok

Edited by Roswell - Friday, 21.10.2016, 02:58

SalvoDate: Friday, 21.10.2016, 18:09 | Message # 115
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote Roswell ()
Oh my god, this export is the most beautiful landscape than original

I'm not a big fan of bloom so yeah, I kind of agree. cool

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Friday, 21.10.2016, 18:10

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Skybox and procedural planetary texture exporting
  • Page 8 of 8
  • «
Search: