ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Skybox and procedural planetary texture exporting
Skybox and procedural planetary texture exporting
SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 24.08.2012, 19:02 | Message # 16
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Water layer in SE is a transparent sphere with a blue color (or green and red now), intersecting with the surface at a certain height. If you mean exporting color texture with oceans filled with blue, it requires additional coding.

DevonXDate: Friday, 24.08.2012, 23:49 | Message # 17
Space Pilot
Group: Users
Norway
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
If you mean exporting color texture with oceans filled with blue, it requires additional coding.

Yes. It would be cool if you could export it like a world map of the planet. smile

FiahOwlDate: Friday, 14.09.2012, 01:50 | Message # 18
Space Tourist
United States
When I export the textures, I open the surface color map in Paint.NET and get a really see-through blank canvas, I have to use the eyedrop tool to see the colors there. How do I turn it into a map of the planet ???

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 14.09.2012, 08:00 | Message # 19
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (FiahOwl)
I open the surface color map in Paint.NET and get a really see-through blank canvas, I have to use the eyedrop tool to see the colors there. How do I turn it into a map of the planet ???

You really should use a more advanced image editing program like GIMP so that you have the ability to create and manipulate layer masks. Surfaces are transparent, or partially so, so that they can carry specular reflection data in the alpha channel (i.e. the alpha channel is a specular map). The best way to use these maps would be to use GIMP and to create a layer mask for that map, and transfer the layer's alpha channel to the mask. Then you can toggle the mask as you like to see the surface, delete the mask altogether to eliminate the alpha channel, or even extract it into a new layer to save as a separate map.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

FiahOwlDate: Friday, 14.09.2012, 21:34 | Message # 20
Space Tourist
United States
Thanks so much! smile

gpaw5765Date: Tuesday, 30.10.2012, 23:38 | Message # 21
Astronaut
Spain
Are we free to use the exported textures in any way we wish, or are they subject to some sort of copyright?

Check my Space Flight Simulator for Android!

smjjamesDate: Wednesday, 31.10.2012, 03:14 | Message # 22
World Builder
United States
I doubt there's any copyright on the images, but it would be polite to credit the program.

If you're going to be selling the images in some way, you'd have to ask Space Engineer on that. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can use the images in any way you wish.

Edited by smjjames - Wednesday, 31.10.2012, 03:15

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 31.10.2012, 11:00 | Message # 23
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Images generated by SE are free for free use.

gecko1501Date: Tuesday, 13.11.2012, 01:07 | Message # 24
Observer
United States
I changed the "main" Config so ALL TGA files exported as JPG. But it still exports as TGA. Any suggestions or explanations as to what I am doing wrong? sad

SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 13.11.2012, 18:41 | Message # 25
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Planet textures are always exported as tga.

gecko1501Date: Wednesday, 14.11.2012, 00:40 | Message # 26
Observer
United States
Well crap. Anyone know a good TGA converter program that isn't Photoshop? I don't have that kind of cash to drop...

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 14.11.2012, 01:23 | Message # 27
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (gecko1501)
Well crap. Anyone know a good TGA converter program that isn't Photoshop? I don't have that kind of cash to drop...

Many programs can convert TGA. GIMP is a good example. It's like Photoshop, but free. I personally prefer it to Photoshop. Paint.NET can also work with TGA files.

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 14.11.2012, 01:37 | Message # 28
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Paint.NET can also work with TGA files.

I don't recommend this if the image is primarily Alpha based. All you will get in Paint.net is an entirely transparent image or mostly transparent with small pieces showing through.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

DisasterpieceDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 00:56 | Message # 29
World Builder
United States
I have a question regarding texture export. Can I export textures of just an area of the planet/moon/asteroid/comet like an island or a particularly pretty area?

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 01:50 | Message # 30
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Disasterpiece)
Can I export textures of just an area of the planet/moon/asteroid/comet like an island or a particularly pretty area?

No, you can only export the entire world's texture. SpaceEngineer has thought about implementing a way of exporting a small area in high res, but that would not be implemented until some time in the future.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Skybox and procedural planetary texture exporting
Search: