ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Skybox and procedural planetary texture exporting
Skybox and procedural planetary texture exporting
ExognosisDate: Friday, 28.03.2014, 04:04 | Message # 76
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Portugal
No, I don't mean colouring the elevations.

I simply mean having their geographic texture (which exists in _bump and _norm files) exist in the _diff files, as these are flat.

http://exognosis.tumblr.com - Space travel logs by Captain Mirowe aboard the S. E. Exognosis.

Edited by Exognosis - Friday, 28.03.2014, 04:05

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 28.03.2014, 09:33 | Message # 77
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Exognosis ()
I simply mean having their geographic texture (which exists in _bump and _norm files) exist in the _diff files, as these are flat.

So you mean creating a shaded surface map, something like this? http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img839/8196/mqsh.jpg

If so then that's easy. In GIMP, open your diff map and bump map (as two layers in the same canvas). If you didn't export the spec map with the diff and bump, then you'll have to remove the specular mask from the diff map's alpha channel. For that, select the layer, then right-click, add layer mask, transfer layer's alpha channel, then right click and delete layer mask.

After you've got your diff map ready, select its layer and go to Filters > Map > Bump map. Then in the drop-down menu where you select which map you want to use for the bump, select your bump map (should be right next to the diff map since you opened them at the same time). Then play with the settings until you have something you like.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

ExognosisDate: Friday, 28.03.2014, 19:11 | Message # 78
Space Tourist
Portugal
I asked about Photoshop, actually, but that actually helped me find a way to do it in it. XD

Thanks. smile

http://exognosis.tumblr.com - Space travel logs by Captain Mirowe aboard the S. E. Exognosis.

NevokronDate: Sunday, 24.08.2014, 11:25 | Message # 79
Space Tourist
Austria
It would be nice to have both the options 'cubemap' and 'cylindrical' when exporting the sky too...

Edited by Nevokron - Sunday, 24.08.2014, 11:25

SolarLinerDate: Sunday, 24.08.2014, 12:06 | Message # 80
Explorer
France
Quote Nevokron ()
It would be nice to have both the options 'cubemap' and 'cylindrical' when exporting the sky too...

I second this. For now I make a conversion using Blender (since this is the only way I found working), but having a cylindrical projection for skybox export would remove that step.

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

Thomas988Date: Tuesday, 26.08.2014, 14:19 | Message # 81
Space Pilot
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
You really should use a more advanced image editing program like GIMP so that you have the ability to create and manipulate layer masks. Surfaces are transparent, or partially so, so that they can carry specular reflection data in the alpha channel (i.e. the alpha channel is a specular map). The best way to use these maps would be to use GIMP and to create a layer mask for that map, and transfer the layer's alpha channel to the mask. Then you can toggle the mask as you like to see the surface, delete the mask altogether to eliminate the alpha channel, or even extract it into a new layer to save as a separate map.

I'd kill to have a video tutorial on that. Is that too much to ask for, though?

All you need in life are space games and typhlosions.

Edited by Thomas988 - Tuesday, 26.08.2014, 14:39

XxdenterxX19Date: Saturday, 08.11.2014, 15:28 | Message # 82
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
HELLLLPPPPPPPP MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 08.11.2014, 16:28 | Message # 83
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote XxdenterxX19 ()
HELLLLPPPPPPPP MEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...it might be to your benefit if you say what exactly you need help with. Posts like this are a waste of time, both yours and everyone else's, and are against forum rules.

And you already mentioned a problem in another thread a few months ago, and I responded to you there, and you did not reply. If this is about the same problem, you should follow the instructions I already gave you previously, since I can't help you any further until you do.

My SE mods and addons

coral422Date: Sunday, 23.11.2014, 14:17 | Message # 84
Observer
Pirate
I'm trying to create a Skybox from the surface of a planet and it looks kinda.... ugly

Result of Skybox export

F11 screenshot result in comparison

Is the skybox disabling all the extra rendering SE is doing? I tried setting LOD to 2 to no avail sad

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 23.11.2014, 15:55 | Message # 85
Cosmic Curator
United States
The only thing obviously missing is bloom, bloom isn't applied when exporting skyboxes.

My SE mods and addons

coral422Date: Sunday, 23.11.2014, 16:22 | Message # 86
Observer
Pirate
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
The only thing obviously missing is bloom, bloom isn't applied when exporting skyboxes.

So no chance of making it better? I'd do anything to make it at least 70% close

SolarLinerDate: Sunday, 23.11.2014, 17:50 | Message # 87
Explorer
France
Few things that I notice differs from the skybox to the screenshot:
- No bloom
- No atmospheric perspective (horizon haze, if that's how it's called?)
- Terrain gets back in LOD -2 details, which TBH defeats the meaning of exporting the skybox
- No detailled textures

I've never exported skyboxed from up close, so I actually never noticed that ...

custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 23.11.2014, 23:02 | Message # 88
Cosmic Curator
United States
Come to think of it now I remember that skybox export does have issues with planetary LOD, it is pretty frustrating... keep in mind though that he probably designed the skybox exporter to export space scenes rather than surface scenes, so more work is probably needed to make it work well on planets.

My SE mods and addons

Tca_11aDate: Thursday, 30.04.2015, 19:26 | Message # 89
Space Tourist
Portugal
What are the glow maps for? And when I use the cloud textures with transparency channel it doesn't filter it very well..

eatthepathDate: Thursday, 14.05.2015, 19:41 | Message # 90
Observer
Pirate
I'm using SpaceEngine to produce skyboxes for a mod, and I've run into a bit of a snag. In some cases the best views involve some exposure adjustments, but the exported skybox don't respect my exposure settings. I can use an image editor to aproximate it, but that produces noticeable artifacts that are pretty unsightly. Is there any way around this, or prospect of the situation changing in future versions?

The other thing that'd be nice is if I could turn galaxies off without also disabling the rendering of nebulae at the same time.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Skybox and procedural planetary texture exporting
Search: