[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Now that we've seen "No man's sky"
Now that we've seen "No man's sky"
fergon1Date: Thursday, 18.06.2015, 22:13 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
Hi everyone.
I suppose that many of you have been following E3 and seen the recently shown gameplay of No mans sky. As a procedurally generated universe, in terms of realism or scale, is no match with SE. But the detail of that game at planetary biosphere level is really outstanding. And I mean animated creatures, plants and biome diversity and other effects. I just wonder if something "similar" could be implemented in SE despite engine limitations. Of course I understand that SE is focused more in macroscale detail and physics and orbit simulation, which alredy makes it enough complex and resource demanding.

Thanks (btw I'm new in the forum but used SE since years ago)

PS. If somebody didn't see the demo heres a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGy8HIYBwV0

Edited by fergon1 - Thursday, 18.06.2015, 22:25

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 18.06.2015, 22:31 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
More detail is planned, check the todo list
http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/21-11-1

SpaceEngine is coded by one person, No Man's Sky is coded by many. No Man's Sky is not very realistic, nor does it appear to be unbounded like SE, plus planets in it are a lot smaller than they should be.

I wouldn't compare the two, just like I wouldn't compare Elite Dangerous with SE, these are all very different games with different goals.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

VladVoivodeDate: Friday, 19.06.2015, 01:14 | Message # 3
Astronaut
Group: Users
Netherlands
As has been mentioned, SE and NMS are really not comparable. SE is superb and IF Hello Games really delivers the goods, then we are the better for it as we have to exemplary universes to play around in. What I find attractive about NMS is the component that is similar to SE, namely, exploration. From everything I've read thus far,there WILL be an option for exploration only. I am excited about this as NMS could very well become what Spore didn't thanks to the greed of EA.

n0b0dyDate: Friday, 19.06.2015, 08:36 | Message # 4
Explorer
Pirate
So from what I understand NMS is something like spore, but only bigger in scale but not as big and not with correct scale compared to Space Engine. And it only features one galaxy ..?

So Space Engine is bigger, more realistic and better.

InariusDate: Friday, 19.06.2015, 09:21 | Message # 5
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
France
Better in term of some fields.
Anyway, for me, the main difference today is that NMS is a "real" game (even if gameplay is still not very clear for me) and SE is not yet a game, it's more a simulator.
And the second difference is that SE is far from finished, where NMSis more close to its release.

fergon1Date: Friday, 19.06.2015, 11:53 | Message # 6
Observer
Group: Newbies
Pirate
I alredy stated that SE is much bigger in scale and realism. NMS can't be taken as a realistic simulator. The purpose of my thread is how detailed the planetary surfaces in SE can get. NMS features modeled vegetation, living creatures and other details like rocks. I wonder if modeled little rocks with actual geometry could be in the surfaces to enhance the perspective of scale en SE.

by the way I looked the TODO list... wow it's been long since I don't check it, but looks really promising

Edited by fergon1 - Friday, 19.06.2015, 12:02

SalvoDate: Friday, 19.06.2015, 14:15 | Message # 7
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
More or less is what i've expected, it's an awesome game but very far from being realistic. That's not a problem for 99% of players, but for some of us it might be tongue (For scales, and for life appearence, it's too much earth-like... but for that, i'm not even, since I've never been on an exoplanet)

I'll probably buy it, just because I love exploration in games happy

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

sent808Date: Sunday, 21.06.2015, 10:18 | Message # 8
Astronaut
Pirate
Quote Inarius ()
Better in term of some fields.
Anyway, for me, the main difference today is that NMS is a "real" game (even if gameplay is still not very clear for me) and SE is not yet a game, it's more a simulator.
And the second difference is that SE is far from finished, where NMSis more close to its release.

You are kidding right? Close to release? xDDD There is not even a date for the god beta ....

Quote n0b0dy ()
So from what I understand NMS is something like spore, but only bigger in scale but not as big and not with correct scale compared to Space Engine. And it only features one galaxy ..?

So Space Engine is bigger, more realistic and better.

what is correct scale? SE is big thanks to the procedual objets. Thanks to them is big. Look how many ``real stars´´ we know in lets say Magallanes clouds... xd The closest galaxy and full of procedual stars.

rdskns4evaDate: Wednesday, 22.07.2015, 16:34 | Message # 9
Astronaut
United States
Space Engine is a Science Game
No Man's Sky is a Science fiction game.

Core 17 3770k (3.5 GHz) - GTX 680 4GB (SLI), 256 GB SSD - 2 TB HDD - 16GB Corsair RAM

VladVoivodeDate: Monday, 02.05.2016, 23:15 | Message # 10
Astronaut
Netherlands
No Man's Sky releases on 21 June. I thought it would be useful to comment on that and correct some misinformation.

1. The planets in NMS ARE planet sized.
2. It was stated in an earlier post that NMS is being coded by many. It is actually being coded by eight people out of a staff of twelve. This is not meant in any way to diminish Space Engineers Herculean effort.

BOTH NMS and SE appeal to the explorer in us and I for one am glad to have TWO universes to explore.

See you out there. wink

VladVoivodeDate: Tuesday, 03.05.2016, 18:03 | Message # 11
Astronaut
Netherlands
Quote n0b0dy ()

It is only superficially like Spore in that both take place in space. NMS features many galaxies. That said, we don't know what its scale though it does take place in more than one galaxy.

Anyhow as I wrote before, I love SE and I know I'll love NMS; I'll have two universes to romp in.

What is really cool however are the many mentions of Space Engine in NMS videos and articles. So NMS seems to be pretty good advertising for Space Engine. smile

HornblowerDate: Tuesday, 03.05.2016, 18:51 | Message # 12
World Builder
United States
I pre-ordered NMS on steam, so don't get me wrong; I am very exited for it. However, there's something that bugs me about it. Almost everyone who has heard of the game, and even the creator himself, believes this is the first game to use procedural generation in this sort of scale. Truth be told, Space Engine wasn't the first either. It's like NMS has gotten much more attention that SE, and that we should find away to avert some of that anticipation towards SE and grow the community a bit.
Also, quick question; I've heard that NMS has 18 quintillion planets. How many planets does SE have? I mean-SE isn't infinite either. It has its own limits.

Edited by Hornblower - Tuesday, 03.05.2016, 18:54

Bells_TheoremDate: Wednesday, 04.05.2016, 00:50 | Message # 13
Explorer
United States
Apples and oranges. I'll be playing the hell out of NMS, ED and exploring the universe in SE.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 04.05.2016, 01:02 | Message # 14
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Hornblower ()
I've heard that NMS has 18 quintillion planets. How many planets does SE have?

A hell of a lot more than that. The total number of objects in SE is something like 1022 or 1024. Several orders of magnitude more than exist in NMS.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

werdnaforeverDate: Wednesday, 04.05.2016, 02:14 | Message # 15
World Builder
Pirate
Quote rdskns4eva ()
Space Engine is a Science Game
No Man's Sky is a Science fiction game.

SE is hard science fiction. NMS is science fantasy.

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Now that we've seen "No man's sky"
Search: