Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Now that we've seen "No man's sky"
Now that we've seen "No man's sky"
MosfetDate: Thursday, 08.09.2016, 21:48 | Message # 46
World Builder
Group: Users
Italy
NMS need some time to settle, SpaceEngine to grow, eventually those inevitable comparisons will fade a bit.
Before it was Celestia, or Universe Sandbox, or Elite Dangerous...

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 08.09.2016, 21:55 | Message # 47
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
The biggest difference between NMS and SE is SE hasn't lied about what it can do.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Bells_TheoremDate: Thursday, 08.09.2016, 23:39 | Message # 48
Explorer
United States
I'm glad I didn't follow the NMS hype train. I'm enjoying it for what it is with no regrets.

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 03:30 | Message # 49
Galaxy Architect
United States
The NMS hype train is interesting because I feel it was less fan-based speculation than promises and expectations from the developer through interviews and demos. Which is more false advertising than hype, and I'm glad I didn't buy into it either.

I think one of the big eye openers for me was when I read

"When he desired the possibility of green skies, the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength."

to which my reaction was "Exactly how gullible do you think I am? I am absolutely certain that you do not have that level of physics in your game and trying to impress me like that is insulting."

NMS hyped itself with the complexity of its physics, the depth of its gameplay, and its sheer scale. It ended up delivering on only one of those.

There was another boast Murray made which was pretty much complete ignorance of the existence of Kerbal Space Program. Or Space Engine for that matter, though SE isn't really a game at the moment.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 03:55 | Message # 50
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote Watsisname ()
"When he desired the possibility of green skies, the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength."

That article is so full of lies

“Whatever is around you,” Murray mused, “it actually doesn't matter whether it exists or not, because even the things you don’t see are still going about their business. Creatures on a distant planet that nobody has ever visited are drinking from a watering hole or falling asleep because they’re following a formula that determines where they go and what they do; we just don’t run the formula for a place until we get there.”

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

YourHomicidalApeDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 04:30 | Message # 51
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
“Whatever is around you,” Murray mused, “it actually doesn't matter whether it exists or not, because even the things you don’t see are still going about their business. Creatures on a distant planet that nobody has ever visited are drinking from a watering hole or falling asleep because they’re following a formula that determines where they go and what they do; we just don’t run the formula for a place until we get there.”

Couldn't this work? Calculate the time elapsed since you last visited, and just use that to calculate certain things. For instance, you can get the distance they've moved with some formula, then just use some random walk algorithm to calculate their position. Same goes for drinking. Just calculate if they're "drinking" by seeing if the time is a multiple of some number and if they're next to a watering hole.

Granted it seems completely unnecessary and a useless waste of processing power, but I mean COULDN'T it work?

SalvoDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 07:00 | Message # 52
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
I think I'll buy this game when it will cost less money.
I'm still interested in it, even if 90% of people is telling that it's pure thrash. Why are they doing that? Because a lot of them probably pre-ordered it and they was disappointed because:

• The game is not half as good, technically, as it was announced.
  • That is not a game for everyone, and they didn't know.
  • They spent 60€/$ in that "thrash".

Their biggest mistake they've done with the game is collaborating with Sony. I mean, it wasn't a mistake for them because they've gained way more money that they would normally (even if a lot of people asked and obtained a refund), and, if they will make NMS 2, they'll be able to make it a lot better.

Unfortunately the game itself did not benefit, because Sony was giving pressure to them to finish the development as soon as possible, also the price is much higher than it should (this game does not worth more than 20$), and, last but not least, it gained so much hype that people though it was the game of the era.

I would have preferred if it was a niche game, with a few players but that actually are interested in it.

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Friday, 09.09.2016, 07:02
  •  
    DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 07:23 | Message # 53
    Galaxy Architect
    Pirate
    NMS isn't a bad game, it is a half decent game that has bad press and is overpriced.

When the price drops I definitely recommend picking it up, especially with the modding community it has.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

MobiyusDate: Friday, 09.09.2016, 22:03 | Message # 54
    Observer
    Canada
    I agree with the last couple of posts above (didn't read the whole thread)

Personally I'm glad I didn't buy it and got SE instead! NMS is an average survival game that should have been sold 20$... But greedy Sony happened... It's not a bad game per se, just unreasonably overpriced. I'm very curious how modders will improve the experience over time.

It's still on my ''to-buy'' list but will likely remain on it for a long while. I'll pick it up in a year or so in discount, but for 79.99$ CAD, they're just trying to steal from us angry

davidfp2001Date: Monday, 12.09.2016, 18:41 | Message # 55
    Observer
    Pirate
    Hi there, new to SE and I'm really very glad to find it. I had played NMS and other 'space sims' or 'games' before but was always disappointed to find a total or almost complete lack of any real science. SE looks amazing and I'm excited to see how much science is involved. Looking forward to getting to grips with the manual smile Many thanks to the creator of SE.

WindWpnDate: Tuesday, 13.09.2016, 15:49 | Message # 56
    Observer
    United States
    The mods available for NMS also given it new life. Definitely recommend against console buy, and purchase NMS for PC only. Then with mods, it becomes something worthwhile.

Specs: Win7, i7950, 10GB ram, GTX970 (368.22), 500GB SSD

khaos526Date: Tuesday, 13.09.2016, 16:37 | Message # 57
    Observer
    United States
    No Man's Sky just seems very cartoonish compared to SE. Right now the for price of it, no way am I going to spend the money for it. I'll just wait for a Steam sale over winter and hopes it goes down a lot...

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 13.09.2016, 17:10 | Message # 58
    Galaxy Architect
    Pirate
    Quote khaos526 ()
    hopes it goes down a lot.

At best you will be looking at a 50% discount most likely. Give it a year and a worth while discount will happen, although for $30 it might be worth it especially with mods.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

sinsforealDate: Tuesday, 13.09.2016, 19:18 | Message # 59
    Space Pilot
    United States
    khaos526, I would never spend more than five dollars on no man's sky. I recommend other means for acquiring this game

"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"

khaos526Date: Wednesday, 14.09.2016, 19:48 | Message # 60
    Observer
    United States
    Ha, well Steam sales sometimes have really good discounts. But yes I'll wait for awhile for it to be updated and have a lot more stable mods before getting it (even if it is more than $5, but doubt I'll want to pay more than $25 or $30). Will see around Christmas with the sale and see if it's worth it or not...

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Now that we've seen "No man's sky"
    Search: