ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
Antza2Date: Wednesday, 16.01.2013, 17:12 | Message # 1
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Here you can post your suggestion.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

VoekoevakaDate: Wednesday, 16.01.2013, 20:57 | Message # 2
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
Quote (Antza2)
Here you can post your suggestion.

Did you mean : "Here you can post your suggestions that aren't already on the TODO list" ?

One idea I have, but I don't mind if it will not be implemented is flying islands on Pandora...

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

Antza2Date: Wednesday, 16.01.2013, 21:22 | Message # 3
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Quote (Voekoevaka)
Did you mean : "Here you can post your suggestions that aren't already on the TODO list" ?

Of course.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

CryoburnerDate: Thursday, 17.01.2013, 18:27 | Message # 4
Observer
Group: Newbies
Antarctica
It would be nice if metadata were saved in image files created by Space Engine, which could include information like the coordinates and in-game time a photo was taken at. This would allow for a loader within Space Engine to load a screenshot file, taking the user to the exact position in the universe where the shot was originally taken. Optionally, other settings like exposure, field of view and so on could be loaded from the data as well, and a version number could notify of any potential incompatibilities. An in-game thumbnail gallery might help with loading images, though even just auto-loading an image opened with Space Engine could work well enough.

For the metadata format, something like XMP might work, as it supports multiple formats including Jpeg and Png. A number of image editors support XMP as well, so an image could even be edited with a compatible program without losing the embedded data.

It would just be a nice feature that could allow players to more easily visit locations found in images posted by others, or to return to the site of a previous screenshot.

midtskogenDate: Thursday, 17.01.2013, 20:03 | Message # 5
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Norway
That's a pretty neat idea.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 17.01.2013, 20:50 | Message # 6
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Hello Cryoburner, and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to read the forum rules.

A general suggestion thread already exists here.

A similar idea to this has been suggested before, and yes it is a good one.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

KvikiDate: Friday, 18.01.2013, 02:56 | Message # 7
Explorer
Croatia
Dithering to reduce gradient bands would be nice.

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 18.01.2013, 04:18 | Message # 8
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Kviki)
Dithering to reduce gradient bands would be nice.

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/21-881-14654-16-1352451919

My SE mods and addons

VoekoevakaDate: Friday, 18.01.2013, 12:56 | Message # 9
World Builder
France
In my opinion, photon noise could be graphically a good addition to SE. What guys do you think ?

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

midtskogenDate: Friday, 18.01.2013, 13:36 | Message # 10
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote (Voekoevaka)
In my opinion, photon noise could be graphically a good addition to SE. What guys do you think ?

I disagree. SE recreates imperfectnesses like lens flare, but that also mimics similar effects in the eye and creates an illusion of a higher dynamic range otherwise impossible. I find harder to defend noise.

I'm not saying that nobody else would want it. It's a highly subjective matter. Kind of like what people expect to see at the cinema. They expect to see grainy, blurry video and will protest if they get something better. Like The Hobbit in 48 fps. It's not supposed to look like that. But I'm sure people also said "movies are supposed to be black and white", or before "movies aren't meant to have audio", etc. People get used to technical limitations, and begin to expect them.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

CryoburnerDate: Friday, 18.01.2013, 15:53 | Message # 11
Observer
Group: Newbies
Antarctica
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
A general suggestion thread already exists here.

Yes, a general suggestion thread made a day prior that had no suggestions in it until my post was moved there. I assumed this thread was just describing what the forum section was intended to be used for. I don't actually see much benefit in dumping all new suggestions into one thread, when there's an entire forum section set aside for that purpose. It will just make it harder to continue discussions about previously suggested ideas, or to locate them in the future. So, my next suggestion would be to not bury all suggestions in an unnavigable megathread. ; )

It does appear there was a similar suggestion made several months back though. It didn't come up when I did a search, since the poster didn't use the terms I was looking for, and no replies were made to their post. They suggested the specific EXIF and IPTC formats though, which are older and less flexible, and not supported by PNG. I suppose the data could be mirrored in multiple formats when available though, since more image editors likely support EXIF information than XMP.

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 18.01.2013, 16:22 | Message # 12
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Cryoburner)
I assumed this thread was just describing what the forum section was intended to be used for.

The forum section itself already has such a description.

Quote (Cryoburner)
I don't actually see much benefit in dumping all new suggestions into one thread, when there's an entire forum section set aside for that purpose.

Because if every single suggestion gets its own thread, then the forum will be overwhelmed with an innumerable number of tiny threads (this has already happened to a large extent) and then no one will be able to find anything. It is easier to keep track of and find things if they are in a smaller number of threads (or even a single thread).

Quote (Cryoburner)
It will just make it harder to continue discussions about previously suggested ideas, or to locate them in the future.

Any particular topic which becomes popular enough to warrant its own thread can of course be split in the future.

My SE mods and addons

KvikiDate: Saturday, 19.01.2013, 23:22 | Message # 13
Explorer
Croatia
Quote (Kviki)
http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/21-881-14654-16-1352451919

That's not exactly it. I meant dithering for overall gradient bands on the screen. You can see them on lens flares too.
And in the atmosphere, when you look up the sky from the surface of a planet.

SpyroDate: Wednesday, 23.01.2013, 22:20 | Message # 14
Explorer
United States
I was thinking that planets could have procedurally generated Atmospheric (and Liquid, if present) Composition, like Earth's Makeup would be this:

And for a Procedurally Generated Gas Giant:

It doesn't have to be meters, it could be the Text Style that is already in the "Info" Bar.

Attachments: 0198416.png (11.7 Kb) · 8183318.png (10.7 Kb)

I'm back, but am I here to stay? Hopefully!

Edited by Spyro - Wednesday, 23.01.2013, 22:21

KvikiDate: Friday, 25.01.2013, 12:05 | Message # 15
Explorer
Croatia
What about space dust? You've seen those in many space games. The 'white lines' that fly by your ship. Are those realistic enough to have them implemented?

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Search: