ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
midtskogenDate: Friday, 25.01.2013, 13:01 | Message # 16
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Norway
Quote (Kviki)
What about space dust? You've seen those in many space games. The 'white lines' that fly by your ship. Are those realistic enough to have them implemented?

Space is pretty empty. Very empty. And if you can see something fly by your ship, travelling perhaps at speeds of several km per second, I don't think "dust" would be the right term. Rather "rocks" or "boulders".

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 25.01.2013, 14:48 | Message # 17
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Kviki)
What about space dust? You've seen those in many space games. The 'white lines' that fly by your ship. Are those realistic enough to have them implemented?

Um, no... There's an unending amount of real video footage from actual spaceflight that exists, you can use that as a reference.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

VoekoevakaDate: Saturday, 26.01.2013, 19:09 | Message # 18
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
Antza2, I think it could be a good idea to edit your first post and summuarize the ideas posted here. Thus, they would not be forgotten. For example :

Cryoburner : Metadata in screenshots to save position and other options.
Kwiki : Dithering for all gradients.
Spyro : Athmosphere composition.
Voekoevaka : Photon noise.

Quote (Cryoburner)
I don't actually see much benefit in dumping all new suggestions into one thread, when there's an entire forum section set aside for that purpose. It will just make it harder to continue discussions about previously suggested ideas, or to locate them in the future. So, my next suggestion would be to not bury all suggestions in an unnavigable megathread.

As he said, some ideas could be lost. Listing these at the front page (with the correspounding links) should avoid this.

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

DwardenDate: Monday, 28.01.2013, 01:39 | Message # 19
Astronaut
Czech Republic
i would prefer the future SpaceEngine update to include SMAA method of ppAA

examples, source available at http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/

why I mention it is because FXAA lose too much texture fidelity, detail and blurs UI (bad for my eyes)

also SMAA has quite lot of additional bonuses even for GLSL
thus it allows some more of performance / fidelity tinkering than FXAA
(shall please heart of any coder) ...

Ideas are like ocean w/o borders! https://twitter.com/FoltynD

Edited by Dwarden - Monday, 28.01.2013, 01:56

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 28.01.2013, 01:58 | Message # 20
Cosmic Curator
United States
Dwarden, there was already a sticky thread for general suggestions, you should have posted here.

Quote (Dwarden)
i would prefer the future update to include SMAA , FXAA lose too much texture fidelity

Better yet, support for true edge antialiasing like with MSAA

Quote (Dwarden)
detail and blurs UI (bad for my eyes)

Not in SE it doesn't... it will only do this if forced in the drivers, which is unnecessary since 0.9.6.2 implemented FXAA in the engine, so the UI is not affected.

My SE mods and addons

DwardenDate: Monday, 28.01.2013, 02:18 | Message # 21
Astronaut
Czech Republic
note the UI it blurs was meant to the info-text over stars/nebulas/galaxies etc. elements

and then the texture fidelity loss and blur by FXAA still remains ...

SMAA compared to MSAA has way lower performance impact and it also can be combined with it (same as FXAA)

(our games looks great while rendered on 200% (SSAA alike, downscaled afterward) then MSAA and SMAA combined wink

ofcourse it might be possible that Space Engine in future supports custom post-process AA which would allow more experiments than just FXAA/SMAA

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 28.01.2013, 03:07 | Message # 22
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Dwarden)
note the UI it blurs was meant to the info-text over stars/nebulas/galaxies etc. elements

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean. Can you give examples or screenshots?

Quote (Dwarden)
and then the texture fidelity loss and blur by FXAA still remains

This is very true. Personally I do not like FXAA and I never use it except with SE, and that's because it will not work with any other form of AA sad

In general OpenGL programs have more compatibility restrictions concerning AA methods than D3D programs. Hopefully in the future that will change.

I'll be glad when SE finally supports good AA methods, I've been clamoring for that almost as long as I've been on the forum smile

My SE mods and addons

DwardenDate: Monday, 28.01.2013, 03:20 | Message # 23
Astronaut
Czech Republic
what I mean is the names / distances you enable over stars / planets / nebulas / galaxies ...

but maybe the excluded from the blur effect too (tho I would say there is some dim effect)

anyway SMAA has GLSL support same as FXAA hence why I propose it (it's not D3D exclusive)

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 28.01.2013, 03:49 | Message # 24
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Dwarden)
what I mean is the names / distances you enable over stars / planets / nebulas / galaxies ...

Oh you mean the labels. I never noticed since I don't ever use them.

Quote (Dwarden)
anyway SMAA has GLSL support same as FXAA hence why I propose it (it's not D3D exclusive)

Right. I still prefer something like MSAA, but anything would be better than FXAA. One of the only things that's not always OGL compatible is SSAA, which would generally be overkill for SE anyway (just imagine those framerates...).

My SE mods and addons

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 28.01.2013, 10:14 | Message # 25
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Dwarden)
i would prefer the future SpaceEngine update to include SMAA method of ppAA

SMAA requires a z-buffer of the entire frame, which SE does not have. This is a big problem for implementing a wide set of algorithms - deferred shading, shadows, etc. SE uses its own z-buffer for each planet rendered, because using the single z-buffer is simply impossible - it lacks precision on the space scales.

DreycruxDate: Wednesday, 30.01.2013, 19:56 | Message # 26
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
I believe you will have more registered users if you get rid of the uID registration process and make the registration integrated with the forum. No one likes going to a strange third party site to register for a forum. Also uID tries to get you to sign up for some kind of control panel that looks like it has nothing to do with the forum.

Please get rid of uID and I guarantee you will have more registered users. smile I found the process frustrating and irritating and almost gave up on registering. That's when I figured most people would probably not go to the trouble at all.

Edited by Dreycrux - Wednesday, 30.01.2013, 19:57

Antza2Date: Wednesday, 30.01.2013, 21:08 | Message # 27
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Quote (Dreycrux)
I believe you will have more registered users if you get rid of the uID registration process and make the registration integrated with the forum. No one likes going to a strange third party site to register for a forum. Also uID tries to get you to sign up for some kind of control panel that looks like it has nothing to do with the forum.

Please get rid of uID and I guarantee you will have more registered users. I found the process frustrating and irritating and almost gave up on registering. That's when I figured most people would probably not go to the trouble at all.

It is not currently possible, since this site is an ucoz site, which means that registration must be made through uNet.
(this didn't need its own thread so i moved it here)

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

DreycruxDate: Wednesday, 30.01.2013, 21:51 | Message # 28
Observer
Group: Newbies
Canada
Quote (Antza2)
It is not currently possible, since this site is an ucoz site, which means that registration must be made through uNet.

ucoz, uNet, uID...lol

okay well maybe at a later date this site will become it's own, but the registration process as of now is quite ridiculous.

DenebStarFTWDate: Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 22:38 | Message # 29
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Chile
So here I am, watching the sky on a distant planet.
I read a thread long ago about the option to create constellations. Celestia has one, but it works only on earth's perspective.
You select a star and, in a hypothetical option called "Make star for constellation", the star will shine more. You do the same with another one and it shines too, creating a line from the first star to the other one. You get a couple of stars and there you have it, a constellation.
I edited screenshots in photoshop too get an idea:

Not sure if this is in the todo-list, but it might be another fun thing to do in a far distant planet
(Note: I wasn't even in the milky way)

- S T A Y -

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 23:20 | Message # 30
Cosmic Curator
United States
DenebStarFTW, you could have posted your suggestion here.

There are a lot of other things that need to be added first, and constellations in general go against the overall feel of SE. It is not impossible that something like this MIGHT be implemented someday, but it would not be anytime soon.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Search: