ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Video game thread (Do you guys play any?)
Video game thread
Antza2Date: Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 21:54 | Message # 1
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
What video games you guys play? (if any.)

I myself have been recently playing Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim.
I have also had a feeling that i should get back to playing EVE Online recently.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

DevonXDate: Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 22:08 | Message # 2
Space Pilot
Group: Users
Norway
Tribes ascend. An awesome free to play fps. Need peoples to play with. Link https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=455204 (yes its an referral link ._.)

Edited by DevonX - Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 22:09

Antza2Date: Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 22:18 | Message # 3
World Builder
Finland
Quote (DevonX)
Tribes ascend. An awesome free to play fps. Need peoples to play with. Link

I had a look at it a while back. I'm really not into FPS games.

Quote (DevonX)
Need peoples to play with.

Eve Online has the same problem. If someone is interested, i can send a free 21-day trial code.

Edited by Antza2 - Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 22:18

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 22:41 | Message # 4
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
I just got done playing Portal 2. I'm also a huge Mass Effect fan, though I didn't like the third game as much. Aside from that, most of the games I like to play are old ones. Starcraft is one of my all time favorites, I just wish that you could still play it over battle.net without insurmountable latency issues.

In the spaceflight combat sim category, I enjoy TIE Fighter and Freespace. They may be old, but they're still great.

And of course there's Kerbal Space Program happy

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

TalynDate: Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 22:48 | Message # 5
Explorer
Portugal
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
TIE Fighter and Freespace

Ever Played Tachyon: The Fringe?

Also an Oldie, but for me is still The best Space Combat sim ever smile

PC: Intel Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.00 GHz & 4GB DDR3 @ 1333 - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with 640 MB VRAM
Laptop: Intel Core2Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz & 4 GB DDR @ 1066 - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Antza2Date: Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 22:48 | Message # 6
World Builder
Finland
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I just got done playing Portal 2.

That's one awesome game! Never got to try the coop though, since none of my friends play it. sad

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
though I didn't like the third game as much.

I used to feel the same way until they released the Extended cut and Leviathan, which together make it much better. smile

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Starcraft is one of my all time favorites

I like that one too, but I must say that Age of Empires II: The Conquerors is the best RTS game ever made.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
And of course there's Kerbal Space Program

That there is. smile
The amount of fail i have endured in that game is insane.
Oh the Kerbality!

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 22:57 | Message # 7
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Antza2)
That's one awesome game! Never got to try the coop though, since none of my friends play it.

I'll play coop smile I'll send you a message about it at some point, if you still have the game that is

Quote (Antza2)
I used to feel the same way until they released the Extended cut and Leviathan, which together make it much better.

The Extended Cut made it bearable, but not good*. I haven't seen Leviathan, so I'll be sure to check it out. But there are just so many little things about the game that made it not as special as the first two. You could tell that development had been rushed.

*that's not to say that I think ME3 isn't a good game; it is a very good game. It's just not as good as the first two IMO

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 22:59

Antza2Date: Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 23:10 | Message # 8
World Builder
Finland
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I'll play coop I'll send you a message about it at some point, if you still have the game that is

Cool! cool

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
The Extended Cut made it bearable, but not good*. I haven't seen Leviathan, so I'll be sure to check it out. But there are just so many little things about the game that made it not as special as the first two. You could tell that development had been rushed.

ME3 does have a rushed vibe to it. I really see no other reason for not including the Extended cut in the original release. Also the fact that they had to cram multiplayer mode in could have something to do with it.

Leviathan i can understand as a DLC, but even it was a bit short. I haven't tested the changed ending yet though.

And do we even need to mention the abomination that should have stayed in ashes.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 23:19 | Message # 9
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Antza2)
And do we even need to mention the abomination that should have stayed in ashes.

I didn't really mind the From Ashes DLC. I disagree with the Day-One DLC concept that they employed for it, but I got the collectors edition so it didn't affect me.

For me, the two big things that kept me from playing ME3 initially were the ending (I actually cried tears of pain) and the inability to import faces from characters that you started in ME1. I cannot understand how that was not caught in playtesting, it's an obvious thing to test for, I can't imagine that none of them tried to import one of their ME1-created Shepards into ME3. There is no way that they did not know about that issue before launch. Also, the game had a much more linear quality than the previous titles, the character animations were shoddy, at least in the opening, and your ability to meaningfully interact with your squad was drastically reduced from ME2 (the high level of character interaction was, I think, the single greatest feature of ME2).

And there were a bunch of other problems too. It was certainly a good game, but it was not what it should have been. That's what happens when a wonderful developer like BioWare sells its soul to a corporate devil like EA. It never ends well.

Alright, I'm tired, off to bed smile

My SE mods and addons

Antza2Date: Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 23:35 | Message # 10
World Builder
Finland
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
(I actually cried tears of pain)

Same here.
My reactions went pretty much like this after seeing the child AI :
Ok kid, get out of the way, i want to speak to Harbiner.
You're still talking...
Wait... This isn't the actual END is it??
Oh. Now you want me to choose a path.
Guess I'll take the blue path.
*end cinematic*
That's it....?
This doesn't explain anything!
What about all my war assets! Why did i bother collecting them again?
*plays all possible endings*
Seriously... 3 endings. I was promised a vastly variable ending.
*actually plays every game in the series again in vain hope of the ending changing*
*Finds out they didn't*
FUUUUUUUU!!!

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Alright, I'm tired, off to bed

Me too. It's 1:30am here.

Edited by Antza2 - Wednesday, 29.08.2012, 23:37

anonymousgamerDate: Thursday, 30.08.2012, 00:19 | Message # 11
World Builder
United States
I am a Valve fanatic and play on Steam a lot. My username is the same as on here, so feel free to add me.

Anyways, the genres I like to play are Racing (both arcade and sim), First and Third person shooters (Half Life, TF2, BF3, etc), and the occasional Strategy and RPGs (World in Conflict, Skyrim).

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 30.08.2012, 05:16 | Message # 12
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (anonymousgamer)
I am a Valve fanatic and play on Steam a lot.

grrrrrr I hate Steam lol I never use it unless I have to

And my name is also the same as on here, so feel free to add me as well, even though I'm rarely on.

My SE mods and addons

pebbleDate: Thursday, 30.08.2012, 05:51 | Message # 13
Astronaut
United States
Lately I've been playing a TON of Kerbal Space Program, it pushes all my buttons, just as Orbiter did, but without the huge time investment requirements.

I really enjoy Lunar Flight.

Skyrim is pretty great.

I'm a fan of racing games, both on consoles (Forza 4, Gran Turismo (playing Gran Turismo actually saved my real-world life!)) and PC (Dirt 3, Grid, etc.).

Harbinger, I also loved the X-Wing games and most especially TIE Fighter, it's one of my all-time favorite games. I never played Freespace until FS2 came out on Good Old Games, but I haven't had time to dive into it.

I enjoy flight simulators as well, such as FSX, IL2, Take On Helicopters. I used to play a lot of combat sims, but lately my appetite for modern military games has evaporated these last few years.

Antza2Date: Thursday, 30.08.2012, 06:20 | Message # 14
World Builder
Finland
Quote (anonymousgamer)
My username is the same as on here, so feel free to add me.

There are too many anonymousgamers out there. Could you add me? I have the same username as here.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
And my name is also the same as on here, so feel free to add me as well, even though I'm rarely on.

Added. smile

Quote (pebble)
(playing Gran Turismo actually saved my real-world life!)

I'd like to hear that story. smile

Quote (pebble)
IL2

I used to love that game!
Haven't been playing it for a few years though.
We could have a match online if you'd like. cool

I also remember liking Luftwaffe Commander when i was a kid. The controls were awful.
Because we did't have a joystick, i had to fly using the keyboard. biggrin

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
grrrrrr I hate Steam lol I never use it unless I have to

Why? IMO it's the best platform to buy games on, even though it can get glitchy at time.

Edited by Antza2 - Thursday, 30.08.2012, 06:33

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 30.08.2012, 06:49 | Message # 15
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Antza2)
even though it can get glitchy at time.

If by "at times" you mean all the time, then yes. There are a lot of things I dislike about Steam. There are many elements of poor or inefficient design in its interface, it behaves erratically far too often, it will never give you accurate data and estimates about your download speeds and times, at least not if you have a very slow connection, and just the concept of buying a game and then having to use client software to run it really irks me. For being such a widespread and successful service, you would think that most of those issues would not exist. Either I'm incredibly unlucky in my Steam experience, or they just don't care about fixing these issues (knowing my life however it's probably the former dry ) As we speak I'm trying to check my messages on Steam, and it just keeps loading a blank white page. It took a solid minute just to load. If you don't have very fast internet, it is impossible to enjoy Steam.

Quote (pebble)
TIE Fighter, it's one of my all-time favorite games.

Same here. Definitely the greatest game ever made in its genre.

Since we're on the subject, here's my list of favorite games of all time:

• TIE Fighter (1994)
  • Starcraft (1998)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
  • Halo (2001)
  • Mass Effect (2007)

In the case of Mass Effect I love the whole series, though the second one was my favorite. In the case of Halo, I liked the series, though I think it got progressively worse as it went along from a single-player standpoint. The first one was my favorite, one of the greatest games ever made IMO.

My SE mods and addons
  •  
    Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Video game thread (Do you guys play any?)
    Search: