[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Dreams you've had
Dreams you've had
Crashman1390Date: Monday, 24.06.2013, 21:03 | Message # 16
Explorer
Group: Users
Canada
Quote (anonymousgamer)
Do you actually 'die', or just get in a situation where you're about to die but wake up first?

I actually die. I see it from different perspectives too. Like my subconscious is trying to spite me or something...

[b]I was wrong, this forum still has a horrible community.[/b]

VoekoevakaDate: Tuesday, 25.06.2013, 13:05 | Message # 17
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
Very strange dream I made one nignt, recently.

I was blind, so the only perceptions I have from the outer world was by the sounds I hear and the things I touch. I felt I was crawling on the grass, and I could feel the dew. It was very very cold, and it went like that for around half an hour. Suddenly I became aware of what's happening, and the dream became lucid. But at this time, I thought that is was not a dream, because it was too realistic and I couldn't wake up. So I ask myself "how did I found myself here ?". I started to worry and to feel lost, then I noticed that there was two fields around me, so I thought "I'm on a path, so if I go straight, I'll find someone who can help me. Then I notice there was a rubber string under the grass, and when I touched it I could feel electricity, so it was a wire. I started to follow it, but it became colder and colder. My strength was dwindling, and the cold enters me, and after one hour, I fell down and pass out. Then I saw myself laid down on the grass with the wire in a flash. There was a second flash where I saw myself in the same position, but in a room with a wooden floor, and people shouting "help him"...

And... I woke up (finally).

Since I was a kid, I often make sleep paralysis, and now I can provoke them, during a lucid dream, or when I become avare of my sleed, without dreaming. I remember that some of them were like nightmares, where I felt all my veins exploding, or when someone enters my bedroom with a knife and attacked me. But now, I know that the most important rule is not to be afraid, then the nightmare become a sweet dream, very relaxing. Since one year, I use to have out of body experiences (it started when I tried lucid dreaming), and some nights, I can stay hours alternating between lucid dreams, out of body experiences and sleep paralysis.

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

DisasterpieceDate: Wednesday, 26.06.2013, 03:25 | Message # 18
World Builder
United States
I've had some crazy dreams before. Sometimes, I actually feel what is happening in my dream. I got stabbed in a dream and I felt like my chest was burning, but once I woke up the pain disappeared. Is this common?

I play teh spase engien

WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 26.06.2013, 05:41 | Message # 19
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Yep, tactile sensations in dreams is not uncommon, even up to incredible pain.

One of the ways I trigger lucid dreams is to randomly ask myself if I'm dreaming and pinch my nostrils shut, then trying to inhale through the nose. In reality, it obviously doesn't work. In a dream, however, it does, and you feel both the sensation of your nose being shut, and the sensation of air going through it. It's a very strange juxtaposition and works very well for making the leap to realizing that you're not actually awake. smile

midtskogenDate: Wednesday, 26.06.2013, 07:31 | Message # 20
Star Engineer
Norway
One of the slightly annoying dreams that I've had, was that I was in bed and received a phonecall from someone at around 03:00 and I pulled out my arm to answer. When I woke up in the morning, however, I began thinking that it was more than a vivid dream, that it probably was a real phonecall, possibly for my flatmate, and couldn't help begin wondering whether the person calling was able to communicate with me at all. This was before phones with call logs were common.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

neutronium76Date: Thursday, 27.06.2013, 10:34 | Message # 21
World Builder
Greece
A few days ago I had a dream that SE 0.9.7.1 was released. I woke up, logged into the forums and sad ...

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

Edited by neutronium76 - Thursday, 27.06.2013, 10:36

DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 27.06.2013, 17:58 | Message # 22
World Builder
United States
I had a dream where every screen said 11:14 and when I woke up, it was 11:14.

I play teh spase engien

werdnaforeverDate: Friday, 28.06.2013, 04:03 | Message # 23
World Builder
Pirate
I 've never had a lucid dream. How do you do it??????? What's the easiest way?

Quote (Billy_Mayes)
In it, I see a black tree in the middle of white nothingess. The branches of it are shaking and I have to very carefully steady them. If they shake too much, I hear this ear-shattering sound and see a big red circle, and for some reason it's extremely terrifying to me.

Then I have another recurring dream, like the other.

In it, I again see and empty, white void. I see a complicated road system, and I walk on the road. At every turn I see a post, like a traffic light. At every turn I have to say yes, or no. If I choose the wrong answer, the post kindly corrects me.
If I say the wrong answer multiple times, I appear in a black void, with a giant person standing on a pile of red and black stuff, saying that he's going to conquer the world. I somehow have to stop him, but I never can't. Again this is all horribly scary for me.

This sounds frightening. I can picture it all from your description, and the black, red, and white colors used in the way you describe them sound terrifying and visually jarring! The kind of surreal dream where there's an inexplicable terror you can't describe or understand.

VoekoevakaDate: Friday, 28.06.2013, 10:57 | Message # 24
World Builder
Group: SE team
France
Quote (werdnaforever)

Put an alarm in your mobile, ~5 times per day, named "reality test". Each time the alarm rings, ask you "am I in reality, or in a dream ?". Then, anfer a certain time, you will dream about this alarm, and you will notice you're in a dream.

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

TimDate: Friday, 28.06.2013, 14:40 | Message # 25
Explorer
Belgium
That actually sounds disturbingly plausible.

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 28.06.2013, 17:10 | Message # 26
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
What is with this fascination with lucid dreaming? I've become conscious that I was dreaming on a few occasions, and it always either made the dream less enjoyable or made it very unpleasant. Consciousness is better off separated from dreaming IMO.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

WatsisnameDate: Friday, 28.06.2013, 22:55 | Message # 27
Galaxy Architect
United States
Really? I'm sad to hear that. For me it is just the opposite -- being lucid has always been amazing and euphoric. I'm fascinated by what the mind is capable of creating, by how rich and complex the dreamworld can be. I find that being conscious gives me greater awareness, and also gives more options for exploration. I can even choose to craft my own dreams from scratch if I so desire, go anywhere, see anything, be anything. Even the laws of physics need not apply.

I never had a lucid dream (at least that I can remember) until I started practicing for it a few years ago. When I finally had one it was the most profound experience of my life.

Quote (werdnaforever)

Well, for some it comes easy, but for others it takes a lot of practice and effort. I seem to fall in the second group, myself. :/

The first thing you'll want to ask yourself is how good is your dream recall (how often do you remember your dreams after waking up, on average)? Perfect recall would be about 4 or 5 dreams a night, but most people get one or two a week. I'm very lucky if I get 5 a week.

If you don't remember many then you'll want to improve your recall. (What good is having a lucid dream if you don't remember it?) Googling 'how to improve dream recall' should give some tips. Keeping a dream journal is very helpful here as well, even if your recall is already good.

As for how to actually cause lucidity, there's many ways to do it. Sometimes simply the desire to have a lucid dream will trigger one at some point. But to have them regularly, you should have a habit of questioning reality. Seriously. If you never ask yourself if you're dreaming while you're awake, what are the chances you'll ask yourself the same question when you're asleep? And if you don't ask yourself if you're dreaming when you're asleep, how are you going to realize you're dreaming other than by luck?

So my advice is to get in a habit of doing reality checks. Ask yourself throughout the day if you're dreaming, and then check. How do you check? Pinch yourself? Don't, it actually isn't reliable. (You can feel pinches in dreams!) Here are a few ways:

-Look at a digital clock/watch, note the time, and then look again. If it changes impossibly, you're definitely dreaming.
-If there is text anywhere, try reading it. In a dream, text will often be jibberish, or even change as you read it.
-Flick a light switch. Often they don't work in dreams.
-Recall everything that you did that lead up to where you are right now. (The movie Inception plays this right, with the scene where Ariadne is in her first dream with Cobb and he asks her how they got there.)
-My personal favorite because it has not failed me yet: Pinch your nostrils shut, while breathing through them. In a dream, you can still breathe, and it feels really strange.
-What Voekoevaka recommended; it's a good one. smile

There's several other techniques you can try, even going as far as entering a lucid dream from a waking state (WILD).

So if you're serious about it, try a number of things and see what works for you. Everybody is different so it's hard to answer with just "try this one". Good luck!

anonymousgamerDate: Saturday, 29.06.2013, 03:18 | Message # 28
World Builder
United States
I can't do any of those because I don't have that level of consiousness in my dreams. The one time I ever realized I was dreaming, I woke up.

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 29.06.2013, 05:12 | Message # 29
Galaxy Architect
United States
Very few people do. smile The idea is to train your mind to do reality checks, so that eventually you end up doing it while you're dreaming, too. With a little luck this will cause you to realize that you're dreaming and you become more consciously aware.

Waking up upon becoming lucid is also fairly common, and it happened to me the first time (and still does on occasion). You can prevent it by doing something that involves strong visual or tactile feedback, thus anchoring you within the dream. Spinning around tends to work well, weirdly enough. Others recommend rubbing your hands together.

Billy_MayesDate: Saturday, 20.07.2013, 02:35 | Message # 30
Pioneer
Finland
I just had a really wierd dream.

In it, I'm in my living room. Suddenly, my neighbor starts shouting from his yard, that my car is making too much noise.

I don't respond. He walks to my door, rips the door out of it's frame, and gets in the living room.
He starts yelling at me, and ripping bags of potato chips open.

I scream: "You can get in jail for that"! I call the police, but the call is really surreal.
I keep hearing this noise, like an ocean waving.

At this point, I get really scared, and I run outside. The neighbor is chasing me,
and somehow turning into a big monster with a gigantic mouth, and when I say gigantic I mean it.

I somehow run all the way to poland, where there's an ice hockey match going on.
I run inside the stadium.

Even though there are lots of people there, no one seems to notice the monster.

The monster catches me in the center of the ice rink. He throws me in it's mouth, legs first.
I can feel my legs being teared apart by his teeth, until I finally die and wake up.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz Quad-Core - AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB VRAM - 4GB RAM - 1680x1050 75 Hz Samsung screen

Edited by Billy_Mayes - Saturday, 20.07.2013, 02:36

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Dreams you've had
Search: