ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Raw Spacecraft Image Derivations (Share any work you've created from raw space mission images)
Raw Spacecraft Image Derivations
HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 06.08.2012, 08:38 | Message # 1
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
With the landing of the Curiosity rover on Mars, there will be large amounts of raw imagery available to the public from that mission. But it is hardly the first mission to provide this service. The Mars Exploration Rovers, the Cassini orbiter at Saturn, and other missions have also provided raw image data to the public.

Some people can take these images and turn them into beautiful works, and can release professional-quality images that would otherwise have never been made, greatly increasing the value of the mission data.

I am not one of those people. However, in the past I have enjoyed occasionally taking raw imagery and making something nice from it. Maybe some of you have done the same, or would like to! If you have created any works from raw space mission imagery, post them here :)

Here are some links to raw imagery archives/databases:
Viking 2 approach images: http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/vo/mars_vo2_approach.zip (adjusted by the woman mentioned in the next link so as to be easier to work with)
The work that led me to the above images: http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2008/1620.html
Cassini images: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/
MER-A "Spirit" images: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit.html
MER-B "Opportunity" images: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/opportunity.html
Phoenix images: http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/imageCategories_lander.php
MSL "Curiosity" images: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/
Other raw images can be searched here: http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/search/search.html

I created this image from 3 raw frames from the Cassini mission taken with red, green, and blue filters. I failed to adjust the position of Rhea in each frame, so Rhea appears to be in different places in each color channel. Ultimately I liked the effect and decided to leave it as-is.

This image was created from 3 adjusted raw frames from the Viking 2 orbiter during its approach to Mars in 1976. The images were taken using red, green, and violet filters. Some of the calibration dots have been removed. I did my best to approximate true color.

This image was created from an Apollo 8 color film frame, around the December solstice 1968. It has been color corrected and level adjusted, and blemishes have been removed. The planet has been cropped out and the background has been replaced with black.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Thursday, 09.06.2016, 11:43

SolarisDate: Monday, 06.08.2012, 14:53 | Message # 2
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
France
blink This is great..
Do you have a link for some raw image database ?

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 06.08.2012, 17:09 | Message # 3
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Solaris)
Do you have a link for some raw image database ?

Yes! I meant to add links when I posted this, but I forgot. I will edit the OP to include links.

Update: Links added!

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Monday, 06.08.2012, 17:59

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 06.08.2012, 22:07 | Message # 4
Cosmic Curator
United States
I've created some new Titan images from raw Cassini shots. For each I've also linked the specific raw frames that I used to create it.

This is a near-true color image of Titan from 25 July 2012, created from red, green, and blue filter images. I had to adjust the brightness of each channel since the exposures seem to have been different, hence the departure from true color. I also had to move the red channel to match the others. There is still a small offset because Titan is different sizes in each frame, but I didn't care enough to correct it.

This is a true color image of Titan from 24 July 2012, created from red, green, and blue filter images. I adjusted each frame so that the background would be black, I moved the blue image so that it would align properly, then I cloned out the hot pixels and defects from the final composite.

This image was extremely easy to do. If anyone wants to try this for themselves, I recommend doing this image. The only thing that needs to be done is to compose an RGB image from the red, green, and blue color frames. And that's all. No alignment necessary, no color adjustments necessary, no level or contrast adjustments necessary.
In my image I have cloned out a few hot pixels and increased the saturation, but those are very minor changes.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Tuesday, 14.05.2013, 16:15

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 06.08.2012, 22:18 | Message # 5
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
What is it - a cloud-like spot on the right dark side on the first image? Looks like explosion smile

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 06.08.2012, 22:21 | Message # 6
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
What is it - a cloud-like spot on the right dark side on the first image?

I think it is a cloud formation or storm near Titan's north pole. I rotated the image, so north is to the right smile

Correction: It could be the south pole instead... it may the the south polar vortex: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120724.html

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Monday, 06.08.2012, 22:26

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 06.08.2012, 22:49 | Message # 7
Cosmic Curator
United States
Oh, and one more I forgot. I'm not sure if it's a raw image, but it certainly needed improvement, so I worked on it. A few minor edits of this image taken by the Philae lander attached to ESA's Rosetta spacecraft yielded this:

It looks almost as if you're looking out the window of a spacecraft arriving at Mars!

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Tuesday, 14.05.2013, 16:16

SolarisDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 05:05 | Message # 8
World Builder
France
A big thanks to HarbingerDawn, I just love learning new stuff :

Titan's atmosphere

Iapetus

Prometheus

Saturn

Saturn & Rhea

Titan & mimas (?) / Rhea (?)

Janus

Rhea

Dione

Data source

Edited by Solaris - Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 15:02

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 05:47 | Message # 9
Cosmic Curator
United States
These are great composites Solaris surprised
I knew that if I made this thread someone would post images that put mine to shame smile

Quote (Solaris)
Titan & mimas (?)

That's not Mimas; it looks like Rhea, though I'm not sure.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 06:11

Donatelo200Date: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 07:21 | Message # 10
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
I think its Mimas as it has that large crater on the top left of the sphere.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 07:44 | Message # 11
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Donatelo200)
I think its Mimas as it has that large crater on the top left of the sphere.

That is not Herschel crater; Herschel is much bigger relative to the moon, and located differently. Several of Saturn's moons have similar craters. Mimas has a much rougher and more cratered surface than that, and is also smaller and not colored like that.

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 07:50 | Message # 12
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
These all look fantastic. Don't have to means, tools, or time to do this myself though so keep the awesome pictures coming. I require more images for my space images folder.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 07:55 | Message # 13
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
I require more images for my space images folder.

My Space folder has almost 50 gigabytes smile

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 08:02 | Message # 14
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
My Space folder has almost 50 gigabytes

I have an old IDE hard drive I put in an external shell, 100GBs. I got a backup drive thats 500GBs so I didn't need the 100 anymore so I just had a download of high resolution NASA images go to it. I pretty much filled it up but I still have a couple GBs left. Uncompressed NASA images are really really large, couple images are over 300MB(not of other planets the very large images are of Earth and the moon).

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 08:05

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 08:23 | Message # 15
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Uncompressed NASA images are really really large, couple images are over 300MB(not of other planets the very large images are of Earth and the moon).

Images that I use for texture maps and the like I keep in a separate folder, so I didn't count that in mine. They're in a subfolder of my Textures directory, a holdover from my 3D modeling days smile

I would also have downloaded lots more images from NASA's servers, like collections of full frames from ISS timelapses, full-res HiRISE swaths, etc. but my bandwidth limitations force me to prioritize, and giving up every day internet use to download stuff like that just isn't worth it sad

Maybe we should make an off-topic discussion so everyone can compare their respective Space collections? smile

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 08:25

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Raw Spacecraft Image Derivations (Share any work you've created from raw space mission images)
Search: