ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Raw Spacecraft Image Derivations (Share any work you've created from raw space mission images)
Raw Spacecraft Image Derivations
DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 08:33 | Message # 16
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
like collections of full frames from ISS timelapses, full-res HiRISE swaths,

I don't have much of those. Some of the stitched together images are so large I don't even have the bandwidth to download them.

If I ever switch ISPs to someone who doesn't destroy my net for torrenting and gives my good speeds I may put up a torrent of some of those images.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

SolarisDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 14:44 | Message # 17
World Builder
France
Thanks guys,
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I knew that if I made this thread someone would post images that put mine to shame
Hey I don't want to put anything to shame ! If I had worked with your data, I'm sure I will not have done better than what you did.
It's a pain to supperpose all the colors, most of the time the result look like :
But once all the textures are well superposed, the moment when you press the magic buton and you saw all the colors appears is just awsome, great feeling.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Maybe we should make an off-topic discussion so everyone can compare their respective Space collections?
While looking for RGB pics I found lots of nice "unknown" pics smile I was'n sure how to share them until now, a off topic thread sound good.

Attachments: 0985303.jpg (112.7 Kb)

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 19:43 | Message # 18
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Solaris)
But once all the textures are well superposed, the moment when you press the magic buton and you saw all the colors appears is just awsome, great feeling.

Yes, it does feel great happy

Quote (Solaris)
Hey I don't want to put anything to shame

I was just using it as an expression, I mean that your work was better than I could have done. Most of the Cassini images that I've tried to do I've failed miserably at, it's usually only images of Titan that work (maybe I'm just not looking in the right places for the optimal raw images, I rarely find red green and blue filtered images of Saturn).

I'm still happy with my own work, and I think that yours is really great! It proves what I said in the OP, that having this data available to the public allows for great images like these to be made when they otherwise would have sat ignored in a server.

Quote (Solaris)
While looking for RGB pics I found lots of nice "unknown" pics smile I was'n sure how to share them until now, a off topic thread sound good.

Okay, I will split some of the posts from this thread and get it started smile

And I would love to see what images you could produce from the Viking orbiter approach images! You should download those and try them out (link in OP). They're more difficult than the Cassini images, but much more satisfying when you get it to work.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SolarisDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 20:18 | Message # 19
World Builder
France
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I was just using it as an expression, I mean that your work was better than I could have done. Most of the Cassini images that I've tried to do I've failed miserably at, it's usually only images of Titan that work (maybe I'm just not looking in the right places for the optimal raw images, I rarely find red green and blue filtered images of Saturn).
Good !
I failed at most of the image I tried to do too.. principaly due to orbits movements which are reaaally hard to "correct".. Also I don't know what to do with pics who have violet(magenta) chanels instead of blue.. So i stick to the RGB..
But when I found this section in psd website it was like christmas smile

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
You should download those and try them out (link in OP). They're more difficult than the Cassini images, but much more satisfying when you get it to work.
Already downloaded, I haven't opened it yet but I will for sure ! smile btw your pic of the Philae lander attached to ESA's Rosetta spacecraft is just tremendous, just like if you look out a airplane window, over mars !
About viking : I've failed to found any rawdata base from the first viking , do they exist?

Edited by Solaris - Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 20:21

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 20:34 | Message # 20
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Solaris)
Also I don't know what to do with pics who have violet(magenta) chanels instead of blue..

You could try to just use the violet image as the blue channel (this is necessary with the Viking images), but this will not produce the most realistic colors. But you can still make false color images that look very nice!

Quote (Solaris)
I've failed to found any rawdata base from the first viking , do they exist?

I have heard that they exist, but no one seems to be able to find the approach imagery from Viking 1 (you can read about that in the article I linked). I can show you where you can find raw Viking images, but almost everything will be surface imagery, and the database is nearly impossible to navigate in my opinion.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 20:37

SolarisDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 20:51 | Message # 21
World Builder
France
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
(you can read about that in the article I linked)
Yep that's why I start looking for more viking 1 approach pics

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
and the database is nearly impossible to navigate in my opinion.
They all are IMO! biggrin but I guess with more astronomics knowledge it's not that hard.. but it's not my case, yet !

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 08.08.2012, 20:57 | Message # 22
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Solaris)
They all are IMO

Well the archives for the rovers and Cassini images are simple, you can navigate through all images in order of when they came back to Earth, or you can look for images of a particular object or taken with a particular camera, etc. With the Viking ones, there's all kinds of odd technical parameters you need to specify, none of which I really understand.

My SE mods and addons

SolarisDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 02:38 | Message # 23
World Builder
France
I tried to compose pics from the Viking approach, but well, it's quite a fail, awful colors and artifacts dry :

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 02:41 | Message # 24
Cosmic Curator
United States
Yes, it is quite difficult, isn't it? But I think yours turned out quite well, especially that top one with Marineris and Galle crater.

My SE mods and addons

SolarisDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 02:49 | Message # 25
World Builder
France
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Yes, it is quite difficult, isn't it?
Yes it is ! A lot more harder.. I'll try again and edit the color with GIMP to see the difference instead of my old photoimpact but i'm really not sure to get a better result..
You did a really fine job with yours (the 2nd pics you posted) !
I go back to RGB happy

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 02:57 | Message # 26
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Solaris)
You did a really fine job with yours (the 2nd pics you posted)

Thank you. If I recall correctly, I spent a lot of time trying to get any of the images to look good, and all of them turned out much worse. That was the only one that looked good. So I decided to quit while I was ahead and not try any others smile

My SE mods and addons

SolarisDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 03:19 | Message # 27
World Builder
France
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
So I decided to quit while I was ahead and not try any others
Hehe, good call.
It's too bad that it's hard, pics can be merged together , the first thing I tried to do :

the same "panoramic" with your pics and the 1rst mine could look really good..!

Are you sure you don't want to try to do it? wink

Attachments: 5864329.jpg (48.4 Kb) · 3197301.jpg (66.7 Kb)

Edited by Solaris - Thursday, 09.08.2012, 03:21

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 03:46 | Message # 28
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Solaris)
the same "panoramic" with your pics and the 1rst mine could look really good

I am not good at merging pictures, but you're right the final mosaics could look very good.

Let's collaborate. If you can merge each of the channels from the final set of pictures (f219d63 - d219d70) so that there are just 3 images, I will try to composite them to get the right colors.

My SE mods and addons

SolarisDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 03:52 | Message # 29
World Builder
France
Ok, I already tried without succes on the two other, but I'll give it another look and try harder.

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 09.08.2012, 03:56 | Message # 30
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Solaris)
It's too bad that it's hard, pics can be merged together , the first thing I tried to do

That one looks good... if you can do it like that and merge the red, green, and violet of the final set, then that would be wonderful.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Raw Spacecraft Image Derivations (Share any work you've created from raw space mission images)
Search: