ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Official Addons (Textures, catalogs, models)
Official Addons
SovereignTripodDate: Saturday, 07.07.2012, 00:49 | Message # 31
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Hey I'm trying to install the Mars bump addon, but keep getting this error message:

! C:\Games\SpaceEngine\SpaceEngine 0.96\mods\Mars-bump.zip: Write error in the file Mars\Bump\neg_z\2_2_3.png. Probably the disk is full
There is not enough space on the disk.
! C:\Games\SpaceEngine\SpaceEngine 0.96\mods\Mars-bump.zip: Write error in the file Mars\Bump\neg_z\2_2_3.png. Probably the disk is full
There is not enough space on the disk.

My C disk has 648GB free, so that disk isn't full, and I've got 12GB RAM so that's not a problem (if it ever would be in this kind of situation). Whats going on, and what can I do to fix it?

Intel i7 2600k. 2x Radeon HD 6950 video card, 12 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM, Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z MOBO, H80 CPU cooler, Corsair 750M PSU, Asus VW246H 24 inch full HD monitor

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 07.07.2012, 03:03 | Message # 32
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
The HarbingerDawn's Mercury texture now added to official addons: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-496-1
Plese download and share the torrent.

CaelDate: Sunday, 08.07.2012, 13:38 | Message # 33
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Denmark
I might be a noob here, but to me some of these add ons look "less real" close up than the generated ones. A bit further away they do look nice though.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 08.07.2012, 14:08 | Message # 34
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Cael)
I might be a noob here, but to me some of these add ons look "less real" close up than the generated ones. A bit further away they do look nice though.

These addons for the Solar system planets are made using real maps for the textures. In reality we have maps only to a limited amount of detail, and also in many of these cases we don't have topographic information on the planets so the surface texture will be projected onto a flat sphere. The procedurally generated textures have extremely high resolution up to 10m/pixel, with detail textures that give an even more fine appearance. The procedurally generated surfaces will always give much more detail than the catalog textures for that reason. But the procedural generation creates worlds that are not real, and so are useless for texturing worlds that have been mapped by humans. Hence the addons, which give the best possible representation of worlds that have been closely mapped by spacecraft.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

CaelDate: Sunday, 08.07.2012, 14:12 | Message # 35
Space Tourist
Denmark
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
These addons for the Solar system planets are made using real maps for the textures. In reality we have maps only to a limited amount of detail, and also in many of these cases we don't have topographic information on the planets so the surface texture will be projected onto a flat sphere. The procedurally generated textures have extremely high resolution up to 10m/pixel, with detail textures that give an even more fine appearance. The procedurally generated surfaces will always give much more detail than the catalog textures for that reason. But the procedural generation creates worlds that are not real, and so are useless for texturing worlds that have been mapped by humans. Hence the addons, which give the best possible representation of worlds that have been closely mapped by spacecraft.

That was my take on it as well, really. Was just curious as to whether I was doing something wrong.

On a slightly related note, I have been looking and searching for a thread in regards to editing shaders, config files and so on for improved graphics, experience and so on, but have not been able to find one - apart from the memorysize/false/false edits. Anything else I ought to know or edit?

EDIT: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/10-526-1#4371 has quite a detailed view, and even with LOD 2 (which runs pretty smoothly) I don't achieve the same level of detail.

Edited by Cael - Sunday, 08.07.2012, 14:17

apenpaapDate: Sunday, 08.07.2012, 14:14 | Message # 36
World Builder
Antarctica
That's right, the generated ones are more detailed, precisely because they are generated on the spot. We know what the planets of our solar system look like, though, and so instead textures are used; but these textures can't be as precise, since they are already made and saved on the disk; and most people don't have the petabytes that would be required to save maps to the same level of detail as the procedural maps can be generated on. The Earth map is already 3.5 Gb; if you wanted twice as deep detail, it would be 14 Gb. And if you wanted twice as much detail as that, it would be 56 Gb, and still not even near the procedural details. There's also the problem that the data for such high levels of detail just don't exist for most of the solar system planets.

EDIT: Ahh, ninjad XD

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

Edited by apenpaap - Sunday, 08.07.2012, 14:15

CaelDate: Sunday, 08.07.2012, 14:30 | Message # 37
Space Tourist
Denmark
Not sure what I did there, but seems it has been "fixed" or become better somehow.

LiaraDate: Monday, 09.07.2012, 12:26 | Message # 38
Observer
Group: Newbies
Finland
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but it's about this mod.

I downloaded Earth Bump, Surface and Clouds and replaced the default Bump, Cloud and Surface folders inside \data\textures\planets\Earth
Before installing / After installing
I also tried leaving the default files with the mod files, but then it only loads up the default files.

What am I doing wrong? sad

Edited by Liara - Monday, 09.07.2012, 12:27

ConquestiDate: Monday, 29.10.2012, 14:29 | Message # 39
Astronaut
Spain
I have added new textures in the Earth and Mars but i don´t have ground map.

I erased ancient textures .jpg and installed the new .png

Help! Thanks

Attachments: 6632003.png (212.9 Kb) · 3835506.png (340.2 Kb)

Edited by Conquesti - Monday, 29.10.2012, 14:33

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 29.10.2012, 14:34 | Message # 40
Cosmic Curator
United States
Conquesti, post your se.log file, and also your solarsys.sc file (in data/catalogs/planets)

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Monday, 29.10.2012, 14:39

ConquestiDate: Monday, 29.10.2012, 14:45 | Message # 41
Astronaut
Spain
the files:
Attachments: 5905949.log (44.9 Kb) · SolarSys.sc (34.5 Kb)

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 29.10.2012, 14:50 | Message # 42
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Conquesti)
I erased ancient textures .jpg and installed the new .png

Did you install the textures in the same folders you deleted the old ones from? If so, you need to go into SolarSys.sc and change Mars/Surface-nonshaded back to Mars/Surface. Or you can rename the Surface folder in Mars to Surface-nonshaded. The map was supposed to be installed into a folder called Surface-nonshaded, not into the same folders as the original.

My SE mods and addons

ConquestiDate: Monday, 29.10.2012, 20:09 | Message # 43
Astronaut
Spain
I have it

Surface
{
DiffMap "Mars/Surface-nonshaded"
//DiffMap "Mars/Surface"
DiffTileSize 514
DiffTileBorder 1
DiffMapAlpha "None"
BumpMap "Mars/Bump"
BumpTileSize 514
BumpTileBorder 1
BumpHeight 29.457 // 21249 + 8208
BumpOffset 8.208
Exposure 3.5

And I have the folders:

Bumb
Surface
Surface_noshade

And in the Earth why can´t I see the continents?

The ground map looks like this (I removed clouds)

Attachments: 3723259.png (343.2 Kb)

Edited by Conquesti - Monday, 29.10.2012, 20:35

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 29.10.2012, 20:42 | Message # 44
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Conquesti)
And in the Earth why can´t I see the continents?

The ground map looks like this (I removed clouds)

It looks like the water bug, just turn off water when looking at Earth and see if that helps.

And you didn't answer my question from before: did you copy the files into the same folders as the old ones, or did you keep them in the nonshaded folder?

My SE mods and addons

ConquestiDate: Monday, 29.10.2012, 21:11 | Message # 45
Astronaut
Spain
I deleted the old folders of the Earth: Surface, Bumb and clouds deleted and i copied the new ones.

off water it work! Is that usual bug?

I deleted the old folder "bump" of the mars planet and copied the new one.

Folder "surface" it´s keep and copied "Surface_noshade" folder

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Official Addons (Textures, catalogs, models)
Search: