ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Space Engine ship editor (Prototype spacecraft builder/editor for SE)
Space Engine ship editor
HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 02:26 | Message # 16
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (curiousepic)
love the designs by SHW and others, but they really don't suit my vision of Space Engine; they're almost like a gritty dust speck in a beautiful eye

At the risk of stereotyping, I would like to point out that they are Russian designs, and the Russian aerospace design ethos has historically led to a theme that often looks unrefined, minimalistic, and unappealing to Americans, but which stems from a desire to build the most functional machine possible without unnecessarily complicating the design. This contrasts with the American design ethos which usually dictates that things must have sleek curves and flashy technology (which in the real world often leads to machines that have 10% better performance and 200% higher cost). So I submit that this difference of opinion can be put down to cultural differences, at least in part.

I myself tend to prefer geometric designs over organic ones, but I agree that a greater diversity of designs would be welcome. If I had any skill with modeling/texturing then I would attempt to contribute myself.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Donatelo200Date: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 02:35 | Message # 17
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
I know i'm missing something in the post as I can't seem to find the texture pack for this. wacko

Edit: I found them on the Russian forum. It seems the link didn't copy with the rest of the post.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

Edited by Donatelo200 - Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 02:40

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 04:10 | Message # 18
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Donatelo200)
I can't seem to find the texture pack for this

Oops, sorry! Fixed now.

My SE mods and addons

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 12:17 | Message # 19
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)

I myself tend to prefer geometric designs over organic ones, but I agree that a greater diversity of designs would be welcome. If I had any skill with modeling/texturing then I would attempt to contribute myself.

I hope it can be updated to support part plugins with a custom texture folder if they use a different texture. Especially with .97 coming out soon with multi texture support. cool

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Monday, 11.03.2013, 00:40

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 14:47 | Message # 20
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
and the Russian aerospace design ethos has historically led to a theme that often looks unrefined, minimalistic, and unappealing to Americans, but which stems from a desire to build the most functional machine possible without unnecessarily complicating the design. This contrasts with the American design ethos which usually dictates that things must have sleek curves and flashy technology (which in the real world often leads to machines that have 10% better performance and 200% higher cost).

Sleek designs are sometimes useful (airplanes and shuttles). The way I see it, in Space Engine we have an unlimited budget, so we can make machines 1000% more functional at 10^60 % the cost.

--------------------------------
EDIT:
Also, the shuttles should be rounded at the front, not pointy. I believe the Russians know what I'm talking about..................... ("cough cough", pointy warheads burning up in the atmosphere during early tests, "cough cough").............oh, excuse me, I just had to cough a few times. Anyway, back to what I was saying about the pointy shuttles, ...................................................... remember what the Space Shuttle (and Buran..... "cough cough" no doubt an improvement but still copied from another spacecraft I think I can remember off the tip of my tongue..... "cough cough" oh goodness, I really need a cough drop or something) looked like?.

---------------------
EDIT 2: Almost forgot to say how beautiful the editor is.
Here's mathematical proof of all this:
0.97 = 0.9HEAVEN

Edited by werdnaforever - Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 15:07

SalvoDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 15:56 | Message # 21
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
1. A good idea for modders is to create the main part of model with that program, and then edit it with 3ds max or any 3d desing program...

2. I know that it's not made by Space Engineer but could it be implemented into the engine?

3. If in the future there will be the interiors into the spaceships, a good idea might be that every cockpit and living module has it own interior, as space engineer done with the two cars, with just a fixed or moving camera inside

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Blu3smanDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 16:06 | Message # 22
Space Tourist
Ukraine
werdnaforever, Oh, those stupid brits, you should warn them that it ain't rite! dry

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 17:29 | Message # 23
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
Sleek designs are sometimes useful (airplanes and shuttles)

Useful for atmospheric flight. Most of the vessels we're talking about in SE are space-only. Aerodynamics are a non-factor. They can look as ungainly as you want and be just fine as long as the loads are balanced and such.

My SE mods and addons

matty406Date: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 20:29 | Message # 24
Astronaut
United Kingdom
Incredible, This is a really awesome tool! Would be good to have an option to turn off new parts making trusses with them, though.

I'll never get any work done as long as this app stays on my computer :P

Edited by matty406 - Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 20:29

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 20:45 | Message # 25
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (matty406)
Would be good to have an option to turn off new parts making trusses with them, though.

I totally agree!

My SE mods and addons

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 11.12.2012, 22:35 | Message # 26
World Builder
Pirate
I take back all I said about rounded shuttles- these are anyways... and I downloaded it.... and I love it so much. English (or Russian) can't express how much I'm enjoying this program.

curiousepicDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 02:55 | Message # 27
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
United States
My preference isn't culturally influenced any more than other people who grew up on the internet and exposure to art from all countries. I like many different styles for different things, and as I've stated before, I love this kind of full-on functional aesthetic. But it is near-future.

The visual design I have in my head is not influenced just by aesthetics or the mood of the game, but also by realism and the consequences of technological advancement. My brain won't let this kind of design and nanotech fabricators exist in the same universe. Fabricators will not spit out anything that we've seen before, not anything that resembles currently real-life macro-scale girders and modules. The organic look would be a side-effect of the fabrication process, architecture evolved to optimize for transferring load and minimization of mass, and integration of function into the very fabric of the ship.

My ideal preferences for visual design of the mothership and technology in SE
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:06 | Message # 28
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (curiousepic)
The visual design I have in my head is not influenced just by aesthetics or the mood of the game, but also by realism and the consequences of technological advancement.

I understand. I hope that we do see some designs like that in SE at some point, it would be nice to see.

My SE mods and addons

matty406Date: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:58 | Message # 29
Astronaut
United Kingdom
Quote (werdnaforever)
EDIT: Wait, how do I determine the exact size of the ship I created (for the script)? Did I miss something?

Well, the grid goes up and down the length of the ship in 10-meter steps according to the OP. I guess you'd just have to manually count or work out how many layers the ship takes up and do the math.

Edited by matty406 - Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:58

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 03:59 | Message # 30
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (werdnaforever)
Wait, how do I determine the exact size of the ship I created (for the script)? Did I miss something?

Put any size, as long as you use the script in the OP as your basis it will automatically determine the proper size when it loads it in the engine. So specify any size you want.

The only parameter you need for it to calculate that is Unit 1.0. As long as you have a length specified and Unit 1.0 in there as well, then the length will be calculated and rewritten for you upon the loading of the ship.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Wednesday, 12.12.2012, 04:01

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Space Engine ship editor (Prototype spacecraft builder/editor for SE)
Search: