Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Gameplay Concept
Gameplay Concept
CintuDate: Friday, 15.05.2015, 18:56 | Message # 76
Observer
Group: Newbies
Italy
Hi everybody I'm new here and I've recently installed SE, I've got to say that it's amazing!

I'd like to propose an idea for the future developements in the game.. I know you had already told that there will be little to no space battles due to the difficulty in implement the mechanics in the gameplay because of the weapons that would be involved and the distance of engagement. Would it be easier using sworms of AI guided drones, like probes/little battleships, with high approaching speed instead of direct weapons? In this way the battles would be fought in short range and this removes the problems with the high-difficulty calculations, and the player's ships would have low powered lasers to destroy the drones... Maybe it's just a stupid idea but I think this would work

Sorry for bad english tongue

RobertRoddDate: Monday, 25.05.2015, 05:52 | Message # 77
Observer
United States
Please, not another question about combat... Space Engine is an exploration oriented engine based on realistic models and data. It is not intended to be a another merely violent game. Space Engineer, please keep up the great work and don't let your admirable vision fail just to provide a quick and shallow satisfaction to some. I believe that people who can appreciate this software for what it is, are the same people who can actually understand that looking beyond the stars, and hopefully someday being able to closely witness all that infinite beauty, requires that we all join and abandon the viciousness of mankind as we know it.

parameciumkidDate: Monday, 25.05.2015, 06:23 | Message # 78
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
^ I feel you, but it's a known fact that combat attracts players. I like Space Engine the way it is, but I believe that the "finished" version would be better with combat capability than without it, all other things equal.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

BlueDracheDate: Monday, 25.05.2015, 15:21 | Message # 79
Space Pilot
United States
Quote parameciumkid ()
^ I feel you, but it's a known fact that combat attracts players. I like Space Engine the way it is, but I believe that the "finished" version would be better with combat capability than without it, all other things equal.

But it is well assumed that any new species encountered, first contact will most likely be violent due to inherent xenophobia in one or both races. Fear of the unknown and fear of what's different as basic survival instincts are hard to overcome as they're buried deep within the programming of the lizard brain.

This is wonderfully illustrated by Gordon R. Dickson's short story "On Messenger Mountain", as well as Larry Niven's "Man Kazin Wars" opening story in book one about the first contact.

RobertRoddDate: Monday, 25.05.2015, 17:43 | Message # 80
Observer
United States
well, I hope that at least there could be two versions of the simulator. One on which various players can have all the action they are looking for, and a second version which may be experienced individually. In other words, online multi-player and local single player mode.
I am very concerned about the final outcome of the Space Engine for two reason. The first and most important is that just like everyone here, I love the universe. Secondly, as an architect, I can't wait to explore the stars in search of the most exotic locations. Then, plan and execute vast constructions that can have more than breathtaking views, but also can be an example of how we, humans, may take our art, architecture, and also why not, sculpture, to give shape to those distant regions of space. Based on what the Space Engineer said, I would be taking data to find the needed resourses, and managing the transport to the selected sites. It would be perfect to have the option to import my own 3dsMax futuristic building models, and add support for ships landing, energy consumption, telecommunications, water supply systems, waste management, and oxygen treatment.
That for me will be a great simulator, but I will add something else as a conciliatory act with my "pro-combat" peers, the posibility of my buildings' fatal explosion if everything goes wrong.

parameciumkidDate: Monday, 25.05.2015, 21:37 | Message # 81
Explorer
United States
The good news is that this place IS big enough for all of us. The vision I see of its final iteration is one where players are "big" and powerful enough that they can interact with each other and get into fights in the "central" areas (I predict these will be the neighborhoods of the Local Group, RG 0-0-0-0, and RG 0-0-0-1), but players who choose to spawn or voyage to remote regions would easily be able to avoid one another or maybe set up peaceful federations with their buddies.

RobertRoddDate: Tuesday, 26.05.2015, 00:46 | Message # 82
Observer
United States
Sounds really good,.. I'm donating some dollars to Space Engineer on my next paycheck.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 26.05.2015, 00:52 | Message # 83
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Non-combat zones would solve many problems, perhaps even implementing something like GTAV's passive mode as well.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

MixaDate: Saturday, 06.06.2015, 18:06 | Message # 84
Space Tourist
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Question of combat in space engine could either be solved with another "Combat" mode, or with "Battle Arenas" that can be found in "Battle" catalog.

Either way, combat should be implemented later, after all other features are polished.

kostuekDate: Saturday, 13.06.2015, 19:43 | Message # 85
Observer
Germany
There is nothing to fight about. There is a whole universe full of resources, just fly in any direction and you will be alone soon.

SkyPharaohDate: Thursday, 03.09.2015, 04:26 | Message # 86
Observer
United States
Hey guys. I'm new to SE but I'm already in love. I think the best part about it so far is how unique every planet is. In reality, I mean, we really know very little about planets except that the few in our own system are very unique. Recently, before discovering SE I took up Planetology as sort-of an educational hobby. I love learning about how it rains sulfur and snows metal on Venus, and how Uranus probably has diamond oceans with floating "diamond-bergs", and other things like that.

My favorite part about SE, and I doubt I'm alone on this, is that every planet is totally unique. The landscapes, color combinations, rings, moons, where the sun or suns rise and set, etc. I say take this a bit further. To the extreme.

I think every procedurally generated planet should consist of atmospheric and mineral compositions. And different compositions could result in even more unique features. Take this huge list of inorganic minerals and their various chemical compositions:
http://nature.berkeley.edu/classes/eps2/wisc/mineral.html

I think that based on whatever randomly generated compositions a planet has should also occasionally, by some form of generation algorithm, spawn various minerals like the ones listed. For example, looking at the list, Cavasite consists of Calcium, Vanadium, Hydrogen, Silicon, and Oxygen. So a planet consisting of those elements could possibly, under the right circumstances, spawn some Cavasite on its surface. Have you seen Cavasite? It's beautiful.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavansite

Imagine someone posting on the forums that they just found a planet with "Cavansite cliffs" and it's just an awesome picture on a cold Selena moon with a ringed gas giant in the background, and it's just the most awesome you can possibly pack into a photo.

Anyway, this sort of unique feel, I believe, is something that could be added even now in the game's current setup. Something like this could make planets so unique and so awesome that nobody would ever get bored exploring. And later on, this could be implemented as a gameplay element where you can harvest the cavansite and build with it, or sell it, or whatever.

Once inorganic materials are mastered, then organic ones can be added. Most simply, grass and/or trees. Maybe insects.

In summary I think emphasis should be placed on more and more random possibilities and therefore more and more unique systems, effectively maximizing the wow factor. I mean, seriously, imagine if EVERY mineral on that list were implemented graphically, some rarer than others and some impossibly rare? Mind. Blown.

On an unrelated note, I think there should be a central database for naming galaxies, stars, systems, planets, etc. Then if someone really does find a planet with diamond crested mountains or something, they get to name it and essentially "claim" it. Yet another way to implement multiplayer features without it being an MMO just yet.

dalekkhan00Date: Thursday, 11.02.2016, 16:23 | Message # 87
Observer
Pirate
that would be awesome to add in futre versions but add it where it might become a fp game maybe?

Bells_TheoremDate: Tuesday, 26.04.2016, 00:54 | Message # 88
Explorer
United States
I would love to see this evolve into a space colonization sim.

Start on a random planet with a store of minimal resources to get you started. Mine, farm, build and expand your outpost. Build new outposts elsewhere on the planet and set up trade. Expand to nearby moons and to other planets in the system as you progress. Then onto the stars with warp drive.

Each random system you start in would be a whole new challenge.

Edited by Bells_Theorem - Tuesday, 26.04.2016, 00:56

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 26.04.2016, 01:34 | Message # 89
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Bells_Theorem, perhaps one of the future games built off of the engine could be like that. SE already has the perfect foundations for an excellent 4x game.

Quote Bells_Theorem ()
Each random system you start in would be a whole new challenge.

I wouldn't envy those people who start in a single planet system with limited resources.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

parameciumkidDate: Wednesday, 27.04.2016, 00:36 | Message # 90
Explorer
United States
^ Seconded.

My vision for SE (on which I could elaborate later, but just haven't bothered so far) is a lot more of a real-time strategy game than a single-ship sort of game like Eve or Spore. People would play not as a person or a ship, but as a civilization able to launch and control potentially unlimited numbers of ships, spreading from system to system to expand their capabilities. The most advanced players would end up controlling entire galaxies or even clusters (but of course not literally visiting or claiming every planet or system).

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Gameplay Concept
Search: