[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Gameplay Concept
Gameplay Concept
VladVoivodeDate: Saturday, 29.12.2012, 12:46 | Message # 16
Astronaut
Group: Users
Netherlands
(HarbingerDawn)
A lot of people talk about combat, ask about combat, make suggestions about combat, and beg for combat. But SpaceEngineer's gameplay comments have stated repeatedly that the (first) SE-based game he plans to work on will be exploration focused, with little to no combat. If he is able, he - or an independent developer - could make a space combat sim in the engine. But that is not the primary focus.

And as I said, I am completely happy with that. I think we are not communicating clearly. My comments about combat were based upon a comment made about combat. Heaven knows there are plenty of space combat games - in fact 2013 looks like a big year for the genre; there is even one on Kickstarter with an "infinite" procedurally generated universe. That said, I am having a blast with SE and if combat is never implemented in the game I will still love it. If people really want combat, Elite: Dangerous still has 6 days to go for funding.

skeptikaDate: Tuesday, 01.01.2013, 05:50 | Message # 17
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
This doesn't sound like a game, it sounds like a real-life simulation. While cool in it's own way, that's really a shame. There's so much gameplay potential here that is lost with the emphasis being realism. You will make a very small group of hard-core fans happy with realism, but the masses will never get to see this amazing tech you've created if you follow this route.

Please consider dropping "realism" as your guide towards what a "game" with Space Engine tech could be. No doubt that simulation is a subcategory of games, but it's a rather restrictive one. As you've already commented, it makes combat boring, trading boring, and damn near everything boring. Most people play games to escape realism, not be reminded of how boring reality can actually be smile Just my 2 cents.

For an extended discussion on how effing boring space combat would be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOYmp5DrFU&t

Edited by skeptika - Tuesday, 01.01.2013, 05:58

Antza2Date: Tuesday, 01.01.2013, 20:11 | Message # 18
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
(skeptika)
Please consider dropping "realism" as your guide towards what a "game" with Space Engine tech could be.

The whole point of SE is to be as realistic as possible. Even if that means a smaller playerbase.

(skeptika)
it makes combat boring,

SE won't probably feature any sort of combat, since simulating it would be really difficult. The point of SE is discovery and exploration.

(skeptika)
trading boring, and damn near everything boring.

These are your personal opinions. They don't apply to everyone. Many could find an ultra-realistic space simulator very appealing.

(skeptika)
Most people play games to escape realism, not be reminded of how boring reality can actually be

There are games that make up interesting worlds, and then there are programs like SE, which show you the greatness of our own universe and release you from restrictions, letting you explore the magnificent place that our own universe is.

You seem to think that a game has to involve killing other people in order to be entertaining. I find this rather disgusting. Why kill people when you can discover other worlds and build, rather than destroy?

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 01.01.2013, 20:37 | Message # 19
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
(Antza2)
You seem to think that a game has to involve killing other people in order to be entertaining.

Those kind of views are what made many Star Trek games not that great. Rather than emphasizing exploration and cooperation they put in conflict and wars as the primary focus.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Tuesday, 01.01.2013, 20:38

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 01.01.2013, 22:47 | Message # 20
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
I would like to add, skeptika, that SE is an engine, and can be adapted to many different games. The exploration type game that has often been discussed is just the first game that SpaceEngineer plans to make from SpaceEngine. Other things might come later, such as a space combat game developed by him, or the release of an SDK allowing other developers to construct their own games from the engine (or both). This exploration game is not the end for SpaceEngine, just the beginning.

Also, I would like to point out that combat games are everywhere, while exploration-focused games are nearly non-existent. So while players looking for that type of game occupy a much smaller portion of the market share than those looking for combat, that type of game would draw a much greater portion of that market share due to a relative lack of competition.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DisasterpieceDate: Wednesday, 02.01.2013, 23:03 | Message # 21
World Builder
United States
Now if there was 3D vegetation I would be in a blissful state of ignorance to everything around. The only way to end my game would be to stab me in the back and burn me alive.

I play teh spase engien

TimDate: Thursday, 03.01.2013, 08:43 | Message # 22
Explorer
Belgium
In what order exactly? :P

DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 03.01.2013, 20:53 | Message # 23
World Builder
United States
Stab first otherwise you would need heavy machinery to move me from my spot.

Added (03.01.2013, 23:53)
---------------------------------------------
Space combat shouldn't be ship to ship, rather destroying cities or space stations covertly so no one finds you and kills you before you can get your target.

I play teh spase engien

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 03.01.2013, 21:08 | Message # 24
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
(Disasterpiece)
Space combat shouldn't be ship to ship, rather destroying cities or space stations covertly so no one finds you and kills you before you can get your target.

Destroying cities and stations would be incredibly easy in an open universe and getting away would be even easier considering how much space there is.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 03.01.2013, 21:23 | Message # 25
World Builder
United States
(DoctorOfSpace)
Destroying cities and stations would be incredibly easy in an open universe and getting away would be even easier considering how much space there is.

I meant destroying players' cities, which would make it a little harder and there could be an AI police force that follows you until you destroy every city in the system.

I play teh spase engien

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 03.01.2013, 21:32 | Message # 26
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
(Disasterpiece)
I meant destroying players' cities, which would make it a little harder and there could be an AI police force that follows you until you destroy every city in the system.

If this were an RTS or a 2 dimensional grid game I could see that working. But just finding a ship in the void of space is damn near impossible. Even if every ship has sensors, laser cannons, and a bunch of other tech it would still be really annoying to be chasing someone while they continually make FTL jumps around the area. That kind of gameplay just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me in SE.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

DisasterpieceDate: Thursday, 03.01.2013, 21:38 | Message # 27
World Builder
United States
Fair enough, but how would I get in trouble then? I love getting in virtual trouble and fighting it off without cheating or finding loopholes out of it.

I play teh spase engien

TimDate: Thursday, 03.01.2013, 23:43 | Message # 28
Explorer
Belgium
Actually I would rather not see any combat in-space. Perhaps between nations on the planets themselves would be nice, but not in-space. Also it should be more about research, exploration, colonization, building and roleplaying than combat. I always thought games lacked too much of that. Also the vast amount of unique planets and asteroids would make for infinite exploring

Edited by Tim - Friday, 04.01.2013, 12:13

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 04.01.2013, 01:08 | Message # 29
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
(Disasterpiece)
Fair enough, but how would I get in trouble then?

Go out and find another game that will let you start all the trouble you want. The SE exploration game cannot be tailored to suit everyone, and causing mayhem is definitely not what the game is all about.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 04.01.2013, 18:36 | Message # 30
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
(Tim)
and roleplaying

Roleplaying always makes me hate games. People get so caught up in it they get incredibly angry over simple things. Plus it always seems so silly.

(HarbingerDawn)
Go out and find another game that will let you start all the trouble you want.

Thats nearly every half free roam RPG in existence tongue

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Gameplay Concept
Search: