• »
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Gameplay Concept
Gameplay Concept
SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 14.01.2012, 19:20 | Message # 1
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Spaceflights
Use real physics for interplanetary flights - computing orbits, acceleration/deceleration burns, landing on planets and taking off, docking with mothership or space station. All can be done using autopilot or manual controls.

Exploring
Using telescopes, radars, spectrometers, etc. to obtain data about stars and planets from distance. Mapping a planet's surface by orbital survey: landscape model, mineral distribution, atmosphere composition and properties. Launching automatic probes to quickly mp all planets in the system. Deploying landing probes, taking ground/water/air samples. Driving remote controlled rovers. Landing on a planet in an aerospace shuttle, flying under the ocean surface with aircraft-like controls, walking in a space-suit, driving in a rover, and using ground buildings.

Harvesting
Collecting hydrogen from gas giant upper atmosphere for ship's engines with magnetic ram-scoop. Collecting minerals from asteroids/planets with harvester ships and transporting them to building sites.

Building
Constructing modules for the mothership or an entire ship on orbit using minerals from harvesters and nanoassemblers (nano-robots) or "3D printer". Constructing/upgrading mothership with dockable modules. Constructing utility ships or small modules in onboard nano factories. Constructing ground buildings with nanoassemblers using local materials. Self-repairing of constructions using smart nanomaterials or nanorobots. Manual repairing in some difficult cases.

Colonization
Building bases, domes, cities on planets or building space stations. Building passenger ships and transporting NPC citizens to new colonies. Building orbital fuel stations, a fleet of harvesters, orbital factories, etc. Probably: terraforming.

Development
Importing new models and scripts, with moderation on the main site. Development of scripts for autopilot, defense systems, and warships. In-game exchange and trading of created content between players.

Player-To-Player interaction
Exploring, harvesting, building, colonization in cooperation. Help with repair and evacuation. Server database will save the name of the pioneer of a system/planet and names that he/she gives to them. Trading with ships, colonies, resources, new models and scripts, and programs. Player-vs-player fights in space or on a planet using realistic physics (very hard and expensive).

Details

The player starting with a big starship with a certain degree of autonomy. The ship can make interstellar flights to nearby stars (or rather, to the stars whose relative speed is not greater than 50 km/s - more on that below), carries a bunch of probes and 1-2 shuttles to land on the planets, and has a small onboard plant for the production of equipment and modules. During the game, the ship can be upgraded, but up to a certain limit. When a player accumulates enough money, he can buy a better ship, with a greater degree of autonomy and "range" of flight. Some ships have a modular design, i.e. theoretically can be completely reconstructed, some do not allow upgrading (e.g., atmospheric shuttles). A player can have a lot of ships and manage them remotely from the ship or station, where he is today (like in strategy games). Communications are instant regardless of distance.

The center line of the gameplay is research. The ship is equipped with multiple scientific instruments - telescopes, radars, spectrometers, descend probes, etc. To explore the planet, you have to launch several probes into its orbit, and wait a few days of real time while probes will make a lot of turns around the planet and will map the entire surface of it. The longer probed the planet, the more detailed information you will get (eg, elevation map and distribution of minerals). To get detailed information about the surface conditions - temperature, pressure, etc., you must launch several landers, including remotely controlled rovers, or land yourself using the shuttle (if the environment is not too extreme). Probes can be destroyed by high pressure and temperature, acid clouds, etc. The accuracy of the data depends on the equipment available to the probe. It is possible to take samples, including biological, and bring them to the main ship's onboard laboratory for more detailed investigation, or move to the other players or to a planet with NPC scientists.

The main worth are unusual and new discoveries - the planet with extreme conditions, planet with life, planet suitable for colonization, double black holes, etc. The player can give names to stars, planets, geographic features he have discovered, and type descriptions for them. This information is stored on the server and displayed to other players when they come into the system. Through the server, you can search the planets and other objects by any set of parameters, i.e. the ranges of size, weight, distance to the star, etc, like in the Star browser in the current SE version. But in the game, the search will perform only in a database of objects which was studied by players. The player may decide not to add his discovery to the open database system, ie make his discovery private, but then the rights to name the planets will be given to another player if he accidentally discover this system independently.

In addition to research abilities, the ship will have ability to manufacture various stuff using 3D printing and nanoassembly. In particular, good plants can produce the parts of a new plants or a new ship, which then can be assembled by robots. A bunch of various resources are necessary for production - different chemical elements that can be extracted from asteroids, comets and planets using bots or harvesters. The plant can also be built on the planet. In addition to the plant, it is possible to construct various buildings, ranging from the climate station and ending with a full-fledged colony or city. Construction time depends on the amount of work and on the speed of delivery of the resources. For example, a small probe can be made on the ship within 10 minutes, but a colony on the planet is built for many months or years (of real time). Stopping of delivering of some resource suspend the construction.

Colonies are populated by NPC people and can bring certain benefits to the player. For example, cheap or very fast refueling, repair and construction; set crew for expeditions (affects the speed and quality of operation in laboratories and factories). Transportation NPC's to populate the colony from another planet on a passenger ship (including automatic ones) also makes a profit. The quantity and quality of suitable NPC crew members depends on the population of the colony. In dependence on natural conditions and level of development of the civilization on the planet, it may have a small base with two robots or a thousands of cities with a 10 billion population. The most populated planets in the beginning of the game are the Earth and 10-20 its first stellar colonies.

Physics of the spaceflight is the realistic as possible: Newtonian mechanics, gravity, aerodynamics. Main engines are jet, antigravity will not be used in SE universe. The realistic physics yields to the concepts of the specific impulse, the propellant expense rate, orbital maneurs, etc. Therefore, the complexity of any research or resource extraction will be determined by the delta-V quantity - the total changing of the ship's the speed needed to complete the mission. For example, to exit from the Earth's low orbit to the interplanetary flight, you need 3 km/s of the delta-V. For take-off from the surface of Mars to its orbit you need 3.5 km/s (orbital speed) and additional 2 km/s to lift up and exit the atmosphere. To harvest ammonia from that comet, you need 18 km/s and 6 months of time, but to harvest ammonia from this icy moon, you need 45 km/s and just 2 days - the choice is yours. Nearby stars are moving at a speed of 20-30 km/s relative to each other, but there are stars as fast as 100 km/s in solar vicinity. Stars on the other side of the galaxy in general are moving at a speed of 500 km/s relative to the Sun. The hyperdrive allows the fast (several minutes long) flights between stars, but it will save the physical speed of the ship. Therefore, if the maximum delta-V of the ship is just 50 km/s, these fast or distant stars can not be reached (more precisely, you will have not enough fuel to brake your ship near their planets without using air-braking). The amount delta-V is determined by the fuel tanks volume, by the specific impulse of the engines, and by the vehicle's weight (so thin framework constructions are more benefit than heavy shielded hull).

Controls over the ship can vary from hardcore fully manual (in reality it is almost impossible and very risky to control the spacecraft manually) to fully automatic - the player simply selects the target, ask the computer to calculatу the most evvective or most fast course, and launches the autopilot. It also will be an "intermediate" solution - semi-automatic mode, where player will make some actions manually, but with prompt from the computer (like in Orbiter). In some cases, manual control is more convenient (for example, an overview flight over the terrain in the shuttle). During the long automatic flight, player can switch to control another ship factory, colony, take analysis over the data collected by the probes, communicate with another players, etc.

In addition to resources for construction, you need a working body (propellant) for ship's engines. Normally this is a hydrogen, which may be produced or collected in different ways. The easiest way is purchase it at a orbital fuel station near Earth or any advanced colony. But rather good ships can collect it themselves - extract hydrogen from ice of a comets or icy moons using harvesters, or collect from atmospheres of a gas giants with a magnetic air intake. Different methods and different models of the ships could do it at different speed and efficiency. The fastest way is to replace an empty propellant tank with a full one at a fuel station (5 minutes), the longest way is to collect hydrogen from atmosphere of a gas giant (many days). At some point, the player could build their own fuel station with a fleet of automatic harvesters running between the station and gas giant or icy moon, and take profit from other players by allow them to refuel on his station. But in the long expeditions in an unexplored system, you have to carefully monitor the propellant expense rate, to prevent finding yourself with empty tanks without the possibility to return to the civilization.

In such case, you can switch to another ship and bring it to the one which is stuck without fuel, and refuel it. Or you can call the other player to help you. The ship can be damaged or even destroyed, if you pilot it careless. Ship can perform minor repairs by itself, but serious damage may require the assistance of other ships or players (for example, if the ship can not move due to destruction of the engines). If the player's character was in the ship when it was destroyed (for example, by an unsuccessful landing or docking) he dies, and his property (ships, stations, bases) goes "inheritance." This mean what player can create a new character with new name, which will inherit the property of the died one. Also, ships and space station, bases and colonies on the planets can be damaged and destroyed by natural disasters, such as meteor shower or volcano eruption.

InfecteDDate: Sunday, 15.01.2012, 20:20 | Message # 2
Observer
Group: Newbies
Norway
*drool* That is all.

matty406Date: Friday, 20.01.2012, 16:08 | Message # 3
Astronaut
Group: Users
United Kingdom
That all sounds brilliant and wonderfully ambitious, I love infrastructure in games. I also like the sound of the (correct me if I'm wrong) business, micromanagement, exploration and progression aspects. Those MMO bits sound delicious.
Finally, alongside these gameplay elements, will the original free-form exploration that we have now still be available?

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 20.01.2012, 22:46 | Message # 4
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (matty406)
Finally, alongside these gameplay elements, will the original free-form exploration that we have now still be available?

The final game will have a "Planetarium mode" in main menu, where you can fly freely, like it is now.

AaronDate: Thursday, 02.02.2012, 05:54 | Message # 5
Space Tourist
United States
These are just some thoughts I have after reading a lot of forum posts (the russian forum and english one) about gameplay and aspirations for what to do eventually with this great universe engine. They are not well sorted, because I think and interact better when there's someone else to talk about it, but here they are.

I'd like to think that spaceengine would be like standing in an open field with some of your mates. There are no restrictions, or structure to what you can do. Unless some sort of ruleset is created, it's pretty boring to stand in a large field. However, as soon as you draw lines or give someone a "thing" to desire (like a ball!) you have a game.

Based on the sections I read in post #1 here, I think there is a LOT of mechanic, possibly too much, to realize in a single pass. I would narrow the goals to more specific gameplay mechanics. In most cases you can take gameplay mechanics and reduce them to elemental compositions.

Many of the items in the first post also could be considered "mini games" in the sense that they are puzzles or game mechanics that are fundamentally a riff of another mechanic.

For example,"Self-repairing of constructions using smart nanomaterials or nanorobots. Manual repairing in some difficult cases." This could be realized as a game mechanic that is essentially like tetris. Fitting the pieces into the "broken bits" is simply assembling parts within a short period of time.

Think about the mini puzzles on a game such as mass effect or deus ex: hr when hacking. Other game mechanics would simply be "spacey" versions of a dungeon crawl, looking for and collecting mineral resources and trading for newer better shiny things. Colonization is a type of gameplay like sim city.

I could keep going but I think you've got the idea at this point.

Taking these thoughts into consideration, you need to ask what really makes this unique in the world of game style engines. Currently, it's the vast improbably huge selection of plants and places to see that are unique and repeatable.

I think you will need to leverage the actions of other humans in order to keep gameplay fresh and interesting. However, it will be very difficult to keep game balance correct, because people are very smart and can subvert gameplay mechanics.

Ultimately you will need to constrain in some way how people can interact with the universe, and give incentives to "gain more" by discovery of random things within the universe, or interaction with other players to gain an advantage.

Example: search for planetary system that has unusual amounts of the "unobtainium" required to power your spaceship. Keep it a secret from other players, but maybe you have to form a team with a few others in order to make it to that destination because none of you individually have the resources. Once they are pooled together you can make a one way trip to that destination, with the knowledge that if you can get there you can get enough fuel to sell and get back easily.

The difficult part is that someone will have to rig the mechanics of the ships, limitations of the universe, and probably a whole host of variables in order to make it fair and fun. Otherwise it will be difficult or impossible to complete and compete with others.

By far and large the most important part of any game mechanic planning is to really chart out in a very deliberate fashion what you intend to accomplish. Ad-hoc planning may work but at some point it's important to really think out what you think will be the best.

It's late here and I need to go home, but I'd like to add that I work in the game business, and I've seen my fair part of successful and failed attempts at marketable games. I have seen games that should have success fail, and ones that appear to be failures or a poor game succeed.

I am not saying that you will fail at a successful game mechanic, but I think if there was one priority message that I could say right now is keeping the scope of the gameplay elements close, tight, and deliberate like you have done so far with the engine.

Most of all, stay on top of the project organization and try to track closely your ideas that you may have, while always thinking of the larger picture.

I'd love to discuss this topic more in depth, if any of you are interested still after all this typing of mine.

kujahnDate: Wednesday, 15.08.2012, 20:46 | Message # 6
Observer
Denmark
This is mindboggling, jawdropping!
A proper space sim in the making? This could be the spiritual succesor of Elite!

to quote from the guestbook:
77. Sideromelane (11.07.2012 04:44)
Okay, now just add in some pirates, the Eagle MKII and some Thargoids, and you will have made an entire generation of gamers very VERY happy.

And this post just makes it even better :-D

SpinfxDate: Wednesday, 19.09.2012, 04:43 | Message # 7
Observer
Australia
Hi Galakt and everyone else,

I've been playing space sims since the 80's . My first being lunar lander for the ZX-80 (1KB ram) than Elite on C64 (64KB Ram). After reading the above GP notes, I'm impressed. I've been looking for a game like this since Elite. Most sims were too simple with a focus on combat and Eve was mostly a space economy sim and still didn't get that immersive feeling that I've been looking for. It looks like SE is going to be more a actual space sim than a space shooter sim, which I'm more than happy with. Well done on the concept and SE. Its a right first step.

Like others, can I offer up some hopes/wishes for this game: (My apologies in advance, if they have already been considered.)

Time
I'm hoping that this sim allows for trips to take a bit of time and that you can't zip around to destinations in a matter of seconds. Small ships with light speed engines(1LY = 2.5 minute ?), Medium ships (1LY = 1 minute ) etc. I would prefer a 4LY trip to Alpha centauris in my small freighter take about 10 min but thats just me. Its leaves me time to look at trading/star map data or even look at possible equipment upgrades that I could get or make a coffee.

Immersiveness: It's been very rare to get that immersive feeling with any space sims. Some were close. The two ingredients I feel is one that playing from within the craft and being able to move around inside it, is essential. It looks like you have that covered. Silent hunter 5 had the ability to move around inside the sub, which I found very immersive.

The second ingredient is using freelook within the cockpit/ship. Something like TrackIR should be supported. I fly the DCS A10 and FSx and TrackiR immersivness jumps 1000% when used.

Ship Control/complexity
As a DCS A-10 pilot, one aspect of flying this sim is the learning the complexities of the individual systems like avionics, weapons and sensors. This makes the sim even more realistic that if it were just a ARMA2 type flight/avionics model. I'm not suggesting that this game goes to that level, but make the systems a little more complex to use that just jumping in and taking off for the stars. It would great to have a startup procedure that does take 10 minutes or so. Sensors that need a certain level of brain power to use. Individual bridge stations that have certain tasks assigned to it. So you need to be sitting there to use them. Science/sensors , engineering, Weapons(incorporated with fligh controls?) etc. Make individual sciense/sensor/engineering equipment different in operating procedure. So when you upgrade, you have to re-learn how to use the new system, with may have similarities with previous system. Power re-distribution system is another element to the sim. i.e. more power to the electro/magnetic shield when around a jupiter like planet or you get irradiated. Hopefully your sensors would have told you about the strength of the ER field smile

Smaller ships
The mothership idea is cool, but it would good if players could start off small, with say a small freighter that has only interplanetary capabilities. They earn money to get the bigger ships for star travel.

Multiplayer Ship/Station sharing
As an idea, I'm hoping that with Multiplayer, these ships allow for more than one player inside them, so the idea would be, that a friend and I move around inside and operate within the same ship. that goes for more than one player inside mining/planet/space stations. i.e. You build a base and you want to invite friends over to show it off. Build a base to store fuel/items etc for friends to use. Also another idea, one being pilot and the other operates the turrent gun/mining laser.

As a suggestion, have some ships that can only operated when you have more than one player, i.e. one player the pilot, another on sensors. Maybe this kind of ship has benefits that other ships operated by single players don't. Time to do things gets cut down. i.e. mining, surveying. This encourages a team effort. Check out Artemis for this idea, it did very well. http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

Ships docking
Ships can dock together and players can transfer between the docking ports.

Sensors
Sensors should have a limited range being short to medium and depending on the quality and power supply of the equipment used. With optical sensors having a much longer range but only really for detecting large mass objects like stars/planets.
The reason I think this is important, is that if I build a base, I don't necessarily want other players to find it or my ship for that matter. in addition, powering down ship systems completely except life support should be a option for evading any hostile players/AI sensors. Having both passive and active sensors etc should be there I imagine. Active requiring more power which leads to the power management system I mention below.

One scenario, I decide to fly to a new planetary system, I survey it, find that there mineral deposits to exploit. I decide to setup a small mining base on one of the asteroids/planets and proceed to mine and make trips back to a "trading post" or refinery in anothther star system to sell my ore. I wouldn't want other players flying into my "home/base star system " and destroying or stealinge quipment very easily. So to reduce this from happening, sensors would have to restricted by power, quality of components and environmental barriers. i.e. Being in a hollow asteroid, makes it hard for you to be detected even if your base/ship was fully powered up and all systems functioning and if powered down, next to impossible.

Like in the Dayz post-apoloclyptic zombie mod for ARMA2, for me it was more a single player experience, but with a little bit of multiplayer interaction thrown in, but not the emphasis, if you wanted to play it that way. I'm hoping this game will be the same.

Gravity
I could be wrong, but In SE, I didnt feel gravity was there. I didn't get sucked into a black hole (although time dilation effect will be interesting if programmed in) or have my course change as I flew by a gas giant. I'm hoping its there in the future release. It could have been me and I just didnt notice it. Setting up a correct orbit or slingshot approaches is going to fun I think.

Surveying ** edited **
This should take a while (maybe hours ?) and may not even be complete for a whole planetary system considering planets like Saturn has about 62 moons and with a 9 planet system, it should take some time. You can choose exploit or sell this survey data on the market or give it to someone. A possible full and complete survey could take a week or about 25 hours or so. I imagine most players wouldn't do a full survey and possibly stop surveying when they've found something to exploit. The reason why I like surveying taking so long, is that to again reduce the chance that your base may get discovered. On a side note, just because you have survey data, it doesn't mean the next player has it. Star/planetary system maps with resource data would be a popular commodity on the trading system I would think.

I can't wait for this game to be completed, I feel its going to be very cool sim. If funds are a problem try crowd sourcing like they have done with project cars. I would pay now if only to get access to the Alpha.

Anyways, looking forward to playing this game.

Spinfx.

Edited by Spinfx - Wednesday, 19.09.2012, 05:36

VladVoivodeDate: Monday, 12.11.2012, 16:16 | Message # 8
Astronaut
Netherlands
If I may add a ruble here: Combat could be interesting as well. While I would concede that it shouldn't be a primary focus and perhaps it could be a devellopment added after release, there have really been no starship simulations of this magnitude ever in terms of the playing field. In fact, when one considers space games in general, only the venerable Elite and Frontier First Encounters even had a clue what a galaxy really means let alone a Universe! We have a game developer who actually knows the difference between interstellar and intergalactic. Star Trek and Babylon 5 have masterfully combined exploration with a sense of danger. Obviously the scope of this game to be is infinitely larger than ST or B5 and I understand that given the odds, players may never actually meet an enemy empire. But, if economic and colonization models will be built in, could there not be a n option for possible hostile contact in one quandrant of one galaxy? If it is not included it is not a game breaker at all for me. You have my soul and my money when the full game is released as SE has already given me more than I could ever hope for in a space sim. So take my post as a mere suggestion please?

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 12.11.2012, 16:51 | Message # 9
Cosmic Curator
United States
VladVoivode, as SpaceEngineer said here:

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Space combat will be nearly impossible due to realism. When you fly at a speed ~1000 km/s relative to enemy, it would be impossible to manually control the weapons. The player must use a telescope to see the enemy ship, because at that speed a ship would fly millions of kilometers in 20 minutes! Only a computer can control weapons and ship maneuvers when you approach enemy at fire distance. Any combat between two ships would be done in several seconds!

The most destructive weapon will be kinetic. Imagine an iron ingot that hits your ship at a velocity of 10000 km/s. If its mass is 100kg, it will have kinetic energy of 500 terajoules, that is eqiuvalent to 1 MT nuclear explosion smile There would be no defence against that, except for maneuvering the ship away from it. All weapons (except homing rockets) have a limited range, due to lag in data receiving - remember that light has finite speed (300000 km/s). Lasers would be limited to several millions kilometers, due to lag and divergence of the beam. With kinetic shells, some several thousand kilometers due to the target maneuvering. So a battle will take one second. Lasers are a preventive weapon. They are not effective, but can slightly hurt the enemy from a huge distance (at about million kilometers). So if you have no lasers or anti-laser defence, you would lose the battle.

All ships must be as lightweight as possible. because they use jet propulsion engines. Remember the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation. So you cannot use massive shields. Military ships may have no shields at all, because no shield can defend against a kinetic weapon. They have only anti-laser reflecting shields. All military ships may be disposable, because their probability of survival in battle is nearly zero. So think of them as "smart missiles." No man-controlled ships, because a real pilot is a huge limit of ship capabilities (less acceleration, additional mass for life support system and radiation shield, etc). I only accept remote control of combat ships by player from a mother-ship, that are far away from the battle zone.

Here is a very interesting website about realistic spaceships and space combat : http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spacegunconvent.php - These articles should be read before continuing the discussions about gameplay physics that include combat. smile

So combat would be difficult to reconcile with the realism and general theme of the game, and would likely be hard to implement.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

heathestusDate: Thursday, 27.12.2012, 05:40 | Message # 10
Observer
United States
Hi, i'm new here, so i'll keep this short.

I have been reading around on the forums, and have not come across something like this yet. As we all know, this game calls for a real-time multiplayer experience, fighting and exploring with each other. Well, what happens when your offline? I have yet to find any posts about defending your colony. If you are offline, does this mean if a player finds your base, can they destroy it? Another question, can you raid enemy colonies for resources, slaves, ect? Also, will there be some kind of economy that develops over time?

Question 2: Races.

Will there be alien-like races other than humans to play as with their own perks and technologies? If so, I think it would be awesome to have admins/mods to have a super-powerful race that can act as gods, to interject in conflicts, to end wars or start them as they see fit, and perhaps award the most-needing or most-deserving. Anyways, another question I have is, will there be a way to walk/drive around your colony? Also, will there be a way to speed up colonization? As a thread stated before, colonization to reach a large population would take over 100 years. If this game is hyper-realistic, then I don't see much going on in it. I can only picture tiny tribes dotting the universe.

Question 3: AI

Will there be AI pirates? If so, will they be dynamic? If so, a troop-making system would be nice. Having a ship with heavy armor and many guns to defend your world or solar system would be helpful in a real-time environment. Will there be AI cities/empires? Mainly to be used as pawns by the players, ofc.

Question 4: When?
When is multiplayer coming out? What time do you think you can get it done by, really.

SolarisDate: Thursday, 27.12.2012, 05:49 | Message # 11
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
France
Hello heathestus, welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to read the forum rules.
(heathestus)
I have been reading around on the forums, and have not come across something like this yet.
By using the search feature of the site you would have find this thread. You should have some answers in the OP, also, you can see this post and don't forget to read the Todo list if you haven't already.

TimDate: Friday, 28.12.2012, 19:48 | Message # 12
Explorer
Belgium
That looks very promising! I'll definetely buy the final game!
I do have a question on those surface maps, will you be able to make a map like this of any planet's surface?

And if that's correct, I still have a suggestion, you could make heat maps etc... For example, the backside of a tidally locked planet is way colder than the front side, so one of the two would be more suitable for a mine.

VladVoivodeDate: Friday, 28.12.2012, 20:54 | Message # 13
Astronaut
Netherlands
Hi Harbinger Dawn,

Thanks for the physics lesson. But perhaps I am a bit confused: from reading a number of posts on here I was under the impression that a subset of SE would be an Elite-type game. That is what I was addressing. As it is I am happy with SE and if it remains this wonderful journey focused on exploration then that is great. But in this very thread are discussions about combat, so, my comments were based on that. So, either I am misunderstanding what people mean by combat, or they are assuming that there will be a space combat game based upon SE.

Best,
Vlad

Edited by VladVoivode - Friday, 28.12.2012, 20:57

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 28.12.2012, 21:05 | Message # 14
Cosmic Curator
United States
(Tim)
I do have a question on those surface maps, will you be able to make a map like this of any planet's surface?

You can already do that in this version of SE, in cube map or cylindrical projection.

My SE mods and addons

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 28.12.2012, 21:10 | Message # 15
Cosmic Curator
United States
(VladVoivode)
But in this very thread are discussions about combat, so, my comments were based on that. So, either I am misunderstanding what people mean by combat, or they are assuming that there will be a space combat game based upon SE.

A lot of people talk about combat, ask about combat, make suggestions about combat, and beg for combat. But SpaceEngineer's gameplay comments have stated repeatedly that the (first) SE-based game he plans to work on will be exploration focused, with little to no combat. If he is able, he - or an independent developer - could make a space combat sim in the engine. But that is not the primary focus.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Gameplay Concept
  • Page 1 of 7
  • »
Search: