ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Hello - From New Members (New to the community? Then say hello in this thread)
Hello - From New Members
SpaceEngineerDate: Tuesday, 13.11.2012, 00:21 | Message # 31
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote (Frostbreath)
I am Frostbreath, from the Netherlands and I am very enthusiastic about Space Engine and the universe in it's whole. At home, I have my own telescope, a Celestron C8. A year ago, I found this software through someone's video and I was immediatly sold. In May of this year I used this software to educate the kids at my intern about space. They were very, very excited about this software and the project about space became a huge success. In the near future, I will become a teacher at the primary school and integrate astronomy into the education program.

That's great! I'll improve the educational abilities of SE the best I can!

nain33Date: Thursday, 15.11.2012, 08:30 | Message # 32
Observer
Group: Newbies
New Zealand
Hey I just recently found out about Space Engine and I've been playing around it with for a bit and the scale of it is crazy. Makes you truly appreciate the wonders of the universe. Thanks for making this. Now to go back to it and learn how to use it properly haha

ZachoDate: Thursday, 20.12.2012, 13:40 | Message # 33
Observer
United States
Just wanted to saw how awesome this program is. Thank you for all your hard work!

TengaDate: Wednesday, 09.01.2013, 05:30 | Message # 34
Observer
United States
Man, I remember using Celestia before I found spaceengine. While it is a good simulator, SE blew it out of the water.
This simulator is an absolute masterpiece, and is just getting better and better. Words cannot describe my appreciation for the creation of this, something that lets me explore places, and see views that at one time I could only create in my mind; or maybe see in a picture.
Thank you.

IndagatrixDate: Monday, 14.01.2013, 02:47 | Message # 35
Observer
Antarctica
Hello,

Hi, I am Indagatrix. I think that Space Engine is outstanding, and I found it from Celestia. I was looking for a planet on Celestia, HD 40307 g, and it was not there. So I Googled it, and an image of the planet lead me here. I was going to ask what program was used to get that photo, and then I hit the home button, and now it is downloading.

I am interested in Space because I am interested in exploration. But, sadly, I am alive at a point after the Age of Exploration, but before Space Exploration. Because there is almost nothing left on Earth to explore, I now concentrate on the stars. I eagerly anticipate this download.

-Idagatrix

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke

VladVoivodeDate: Monday, 14.01.2013, 03:31 | Message # 36
Astronaut
Group: Users
Netherlands
Hi Idagatrix,

I wouldn't say that there is nothing left to explore on Earth; Jacques Cousteau always felt an affinity with astronauts and cosmonauts because he felt that he and they were exploring great unknowns. That said, SE is really the first program that has utterly captivated me.

This is a great community and the creator of this amazing program is very attentive to the community. If you are excited now, just wait until 0.97 is released!

JokermanDate: Monday, 28.01.2013, 22:09 | Message # 37
Observer
Austria
Hi,

Found this pretty amazing resource when browsing for Space Sims .....

Still reading and learning of course and have loads of questions, most of which I am finding answers to on my own so far.

This is universe is based on the real deal is big news for me ....

Congratulations and thanks

VladVoivodeDate: Monday, 28.01.2013, 23:47 | Message # 38
Astronaut
Netherlands
Hi Jokerman,

Welcome to the community. I remember when I found this space sim. I misread the description and thought it was more like Celestia - which in its time was a great sim. But I thought that since it's always fun to mess around with space sims, I would give SE a go. I simply wasn't prepared for how amazing this sim really is. This is a great community and it's developer, known as Space Engineer, created this "universe" and has been great in communicating with the community.

JokermanDate: Tuesday, 29.01.2013, 12:54 | Message # 39
Observer
Austria
Thanks for the welcome,

I spent hours yesterday bouncing around the universe ... my log reports completely random tracks all over the place. Save for the "find earth" function, I had no idea where I was.

There is so much to explore as it is .... I can only imagine what the next many release updates will add.

From a personal point of view, the simulation experience in gaming is what attracts me. Actually, I'm not a gamer at all, I'm a simmer and I look for immersion in the activity I am simming ..... driving, flying, sailing or now space exploration.

If there is a "single characteristic" that is attractive about SE ..... for me it's the fact that real world data is used to position, model and present the known universe.

The procedurally generated star systems are less attractive initially but also not a problem and I understand that it's necessary when considering the larger concept of what SE aspires to become. [ Being realism sim orientated, I accept a measure of procedurally generated being necessary .... but have this hangup about it becoming too much. ]

The present day fantasy of mining an asteroid and engaging with a space based industrial economy is just as viable with real star system data as it is a Proc-Gen universes. This is known of course. Whilst I see the need for Proc-Gen to fill out empty [unknown] space today, I have yet to understand what happens to the Proc-Gen areas of space in SE when better real data becomes available. I'd rather not be stuck with the Proc-Gen just because it was there from the start and has become integral now.

I say the above out of ignorance and fear mostly. I've not made enough research of SE in total yet but already I am developing a sense that safe guarding the real data based universe within SE and strictly only using Proc-Gen in a 'supportive' role will prove critical to the longevity and relevance of SE going forward.

As I learn and read more, it will be clearer for me whether the above is in keeping with the roadmap and design principles of the developer.

Huge respect and thanks to Vladimir for pouring his skills into this and for making it available to little 'ole me and everyone else.

P.S. forgive the brain dump, I just got typing cool

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 29.01.2013, 14:06 | Message # 40
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Jokerman)
I'd rather not be stuck with the Proc-Gen just because it was there from the start and has become integral now.

Don't worry, real data will ALWAYS trump procedural generation. The Proc-Gen exists solely to fill in the gaps. That said, the gaps will always be nearly all of the universe cool

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

LiNGeNDate: Saturday, 02.02.2013, 15:53 | Message # 41
Observer
Sweden
Hello!

I've been registered on this forum for three months now, but only started posting since a week back. I guess it's never too late to say hello, right?

I'm simply a person very interested in astronomy, cosmos, space and science in general and living in the northern hemisphere. I like to observe natural phenomena and hope to one day visit the southern hemisphere and see the magellanic clouds with my own eyes.

A huge applaud for SpaceEngineer and anyone else who have contributed to the development of this amazing and always improving software!

2000gmodDate: Saturday, 02.02.2013, 20:45 | Message # 42
Observer
Chile
Hi Everyone! My first Post!

Well i joined today the forums.

I like So much Space engine.

Hey HarbingerDawn, Hi! smile biggrin

MistroDate: Thursday, 07.02.2013, 22:38 | Message # 43
Observer
United States
First off, Hello community, and congrats on this great program! Much gratitude to the author.

May I please suggest a more obvious registration button? It took me very long to figure out how to get in here. It was like searching for an exoplanet biggrin

Anyway, looking forward to deep exploration here. cool

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 07.02.2013, 23:29 | Message # 44
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (2000gmod)
Hey HarbingerDawn, Hi!

Hello, do I know you from somewhere?

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

TimDate: Friday, 08.02.2013, 18:08 | Message # 45
Explorer
Belgium
I believe he is just trying to please the moderator :P
Either welcome all.

Edited by Tim - Friday, 08.02.2013, 18:08

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Hello - From New Members (New to the community? Then say hello in this thread)
Search: