|
Video game thread
|
|
| HarbingerDawn | Date: Friday, 07.03.2014, 15:05 | Message # 586 |
 Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Messages: 8717
Status: Offline
| Quote DoctorOfSpace (  ) I might have to get the game because of this Something tells me that's why they're doing this. I had the impression that this wasn't the direction they were planning to go, but I don't think it was as popular as they hoped. Maybe this is an attempt to boost its popularity. In any case, it's exciting, and could be a lot of fun - if it's done right. I have some doubts about the likelihood of that last bit given its history so far, but I hope to be proven wrong.
All forum users, please read this! My SE mods and addons Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM
|
| |
| |
| DoctorOfSpace | Date: Friday, 14.03.2014, 15:46 | Message # 587 |
 Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Messages: 3600
Status: Offline
| Just some Star Trek Online screens
My ship isn't cut out for Borg. Borg probes I can handle and a sphere if it is by itself but not this...
They destroyed me when I tried to jump to sector space
Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB
|
| |
| |
| HarbingerDawn | Date: Friday, 14.03.2014, 23:50 | Message # 588 |
 Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Messages: 8717
Status: Offline
| It's ok, nobody can handle the borg.
All forum users, please read this! My SE mods and addons Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM
|
| |
| |
| pebble | Date: Sunday, 16.03.2014, 13:50 | Message # 589 |
 Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 76
Status: Offline
| I've been playing a lot of Assetto Corsa on the PC lately. One thing I love about realistic racing simulators is the tracks are usually based on real world tracks, so time spent in one sim carries over to others.
Also, the physics modeling in these games has gotten worlds better. Assetto Corsa's physics feel great, especially when coupled with the sound, force-feedback in the controller, and the car's movement independent of the driver's camera.
They just added work-in-progress AI opponents to the game, who are pretty stupid, but a nice change from solitary hotlaps. I expect the AI will get better.
I did an apples-to-apples comparison between Assetto Corsa and Forza 4, using the Lotus Elise on the Mugello Circuit. The car performance (acceleration, handling) was very similar. Perhaps Forza's handling felt a bit floatier and less 'real', but it was like a 5% difference. Forza's track textures are better, but I really don't like the smooth specular highlight it renders on the tracks at low sun angles.
One big plus for Assetto Corsa is the extremely clean, functional interface and fast load times. Unlike Forza or Gran Turismo's endless UI layers, AC has a clean, fast interface that gets you into the game with as little as 1-4 clicks. Want to restart a race? Takes about 10 seconds, as opposed to waiting 30 seconds on a console. (PC master race!)
Anyway, I'm a big fan of racing sims and Assetto Corsa is the most fun I've had in a long time. However, if you're more into arcade racing, you might not like it. (PS I love arcade racing too, I'm not elitist about my driving games.)
The game works great with my Xbox360 controller, too. No way I'm spending hundreds of dollars on a wheel and pedals. Thankfully the control inputs can be finely tuned in the game's config screen.
Here's a recent race I recorded:
Edited by pebble - Sunday, 16.03.2014, 14:02 |
| |
| |
| anonymousgamer | Date: Sunday, 16.03.2014, 16:59 | Message # 590 |
 World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Messages: 1011
Status: Offline
| Quote pebble (  ) work-in-progress AI opponents to the game, who are pretty stupid
Clearly you never played Gran Turismo, where the only priority of the A.I. is to stick to the racing line, regardless of where you or other racer are. At least, that was my experience with GT PSP and most of GT 5. From what I see, these "dumb as rocks" A.I. are much better than what GT had offered.
Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen
|
| |
| |
| SolarLiner | Date: Sunday, 16.03.2014, 17:54 | Message # 591 |
 Explorer
Group: Users
France
Messages: 267
Status: Offline
| AI in GT6 seems to be "less dumb", they try to overtake you or each other, they even try to be agressive towards each other sometimes (which leads almost everytime to a crash ^^), but they're too slow. I mean, I race 16 others cars on a circuit, with the most difficult level, and at the 2 lap I'm in first with a 5 seconds lead. And I'm not an "ultra-expert racing nerd" or something close. Just a causal player who likes a race from time to time.
custom landing page to share: http://bit.ly/spaceengine
|
| |
| |
| pebble | Date: Monday, 17.03.2014, 00:01 | Message # 592 |
 Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 76
Status: Offline
| Quote anonymousgamer (  ) Clearly you never played Gran Turismo, where the only priority of the A.I. is to stick to the racing line, regardless of where you or other racer are. At least, that was my experience with GT PSP and most of GT 5. From what I see, these "dumb as rocks" A.I. are much better than what GT had offered.
Actually, I played the hell out of Gran Turismo. Back in 2000 it actually saved my life, because I was able to avoid a possibly fatal accident by instinctively using skills I learned from GT on the PS1. But you're right, the AI in GT is pretty bad.
In defense of the Assetto Corsa AI, I must say that when they're not crashing into me or each other, they actually feel quite organic. I see them maneuvering and recovering from blunders, and it's pretty convincing. I just wish they didn't hit me so often. Hahaha.
|
| |
| |
| anonymousgamer | Date: Monday, 17.03.2014, 00:24 | Message # 593 |
 World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Messages: 1011
Status: Offline
|
Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen
|
| |
| |
| pebble | Date: Monday, 17.03.2014, 06:49 | Message # 594 |
 Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 76
Status: Offline
| hahaha anonymousgamer, I'm dying. Yeah that's pretty ridiculous.
|
| |
| |
| DoctorOfSpace | Date: Tuesday, 18.03.2014, 01:09 | Message # 595 |
 Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Messages: 3600
Status: Offline
| Just some more Star Trek Online, been binge playing it quite a bit.
Finally got myself a Galaxy class that can go up against the Borg sector encounters
I would recommend playing STO if you are a Trek fan. The space combat is really great, the only downside is the hours of grinding you have to do.
Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB
|
| |
| |
| HarbingerDawn | Date: Tuesday, 18.03.2014, 02:39 | Message # 596 |
 Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Messages: 8717
Status: Offline
| Quote DoctorOfSpace (  ) I would recommend playing STO if you are a Trek fan. I played it non-stop for about a week one time, then got tired of it and never played it again.
All forum users, please read this! My SE mods and addons Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM
|
| |
| |
| pebble | Date: Tuesday, 18.03.2014, 02:53 | Message # 597 |
 Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 76
Status: Offline
| Quote DoctorOfSpace (  ) I would recommend playing STO if you are a Trek fan. The space combat is really great, the only downside is the hours of grinding you have to do.
I tried it when they went Free To Play. First sign of trouble was when I discovered the obligatory first-level rat-grinding was....fighting Borg? Are you kidding me? The Borg are the ultimate badasses. Who's the high level boss then, giant tribbles? My second sign of trouble was the vendors in the starbase. Vendors charging money for stuff. Never mind replicators and the post-scarcity abandonment of money in the canon. That's when my "this is not Trek" muscle clenched and I pulled the EJECT handle.
Which is sad, because I was SO in the mood to play in the Trek universe. I'd been watching their development blog with bated breath. Then, when the developers announced they weren't going to include the promised multi-crew starship play, it was a big blow to me. It's why I waited until they went F2P to try the game.
That said, I'm not saying the game isn't fun or that it's bad. If people enjoy it, more power to them. It just didn't promise the Trek experience I'd been hoping for.
Edited by pebble - Tuesday, 18.03.2014, 03:00 |
| |
| |
| DoctorOfSpace | Date: Tuesday, 18.03.2014, 03:38 | Message # 598 |
 Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Messages: 3600
Status: Offline
| Quote pebble (  ) the obligatory first-level rat-grinding was....fighting Borg?
Star Trek and an MMO with a story. The Borg in the sector parts really are some of the hardest enemies.
Quote pebble (  ) Who's the high level boss then, giant tribbles?
I am sure there are others, but the hardest I have faced was the Crystalline Entity. Back when the game came out the Crystalline entity used to roam around sector space but they removed that apparently a long time ago. Haven't found where it is now but I plan to try to eventually.
Quote pebble (  ) Vendors charging money for stuff. Never mind replicators and the post-scarcity abandonment of money in the canon
Actually that isn't against Trek lore. Plenty of species have currency and the Federation as a whole has currency for dealing with worlds who aren't part of the Federation. The game is an MMO, which means it needs an economy, so you can't just let everyone have access to things for free, you need to level and "earn" those things.
You do have access to a replicator to make things you might need, haven't touched it though so wouldn't know what can be done with it entirely.
Quote pebble (  ) It just didn't promise the Trek experience I'd been hoping for.
A real Trek experience would be impossibly hard to do right for an MMO. The best game I have seen for a Trek ship experience was Bridge Commander but other than that there haven't really been many good ones. The Trek universe isn't about combat and fighting but that is what most people play games for. The exploration, scientific, and political parts of STO are really badly done.
A proper Trek game could probably be built off of SpaceEngine in the future if an SDK is ever released. I highly doubt you could do it right in multiplayer though.
Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB
|
| |
| |
| HarbingerDawn | Date: Tuesday, 18.03.2014, 04:16 | Message # 599 |
 Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Messages: 8717
Status: Offline
| Quote pebble (  ) That's when my "this is not Trek" muscle clenched and I pulled the EJECT handle. I don't think that anything "officially" Star Trek has been truly great since DS9. Voyager, Enterprise, JJ Trek, STO, none of it lives up to what Trek used to be.
All forum users, please read this! My SE mods and addons Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM
|
| |
| |
| desertsoldier22 | Date: Tuesday, 18.03.2014, 04:59 | Message # 600 |
|
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
Messages: 51
Status: Offline
| Quote HarbingerDawn (  ) I don't think that anything "officially" Star Trek has been truly great since DS9. Voyager, Enterprise, JJ Trek, STO, none of it lives up to what Trek used to be.
I am secretly hoping they bring back Enterprise on Netflix though....I so want to see the Romulan War. Plus the show got really good at the end.
|
| |
| |