ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Unusual weather (Let's talk about the weather)
Unusual weather
DisasterpieceDate: Monday, 17.02.2014, 00:21 | Message # 16
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Well, we just got another large snow storm yesterday. Excuse me, gotta go shovel now...

How bad was it in Boston (that is where you are, right?). In Jersey it was about three inches or snow.

I play teh spase engien

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 17.02.2014, 01:07 | Message # 17
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote Disasterpiece ()
In Jersey it was about three inches or snow

Probably about 8 or so here, maybe a little more.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

apenpaapDate: Monday, 17.02.2014, 19:21 | Message # 18
World Builder
Antarctica
I didn't mean that as bragging. In fact, I find the early start of spring and lack of winter rather annoying and would greatly prefer a week or two of snow to suddenly come falling from the sky.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

Chris94Date: Monday, 17.02.2014, 19:24 | Message # 19
Space Pilot
Norway
It's the middle of February now, and still no snow here in Northern Norway. This is the 2nd month now without snow, and the winter-months is soon over. It were also little snow in middle December 2013.

Edited by Chris94 - Monday, 17.02.2014, 19:25

HarbingerDawnDate: Monday, 17.02.2014, 20:26 | Message # 20
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote apenpaap ()
I didn't mean that as bragging

I didn't take it as bragging, and I quite agree with you that lack of winter and early spring is not fun at all.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Antza2Date: Monday, 17.02.2014, 20:27 | Message # 21
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Chris94, We have snow here in Finland. Must be the ocean currents messing with your temperatures.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

Chris94Date: Monday, 17.02.2014, 20:28 | Message # 22
Space Pilot
Norway
Quote Antza2 ()
Chris94, We have snow here in Finland. Must be the ocean currents messing with your temperatures.

Also the jet stream is messing with out weather. The weather is warmer than usual. It is only Southern Norway who has snow, but not we in Northern Norway sad

midtskogenDate: Monday, 17.02.2014, 21:06 | Message # 23
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote Chris94 ()
It is only Southern Norway who has snow, but not we in Northern Norway

Some places in the forests outside Oslo in the higher elevations (600-700 masl) now have 150-200 cm of snow and hacee got 200-250 mm precipitation over the last month despite February usually being fairly dry. Depths like that are only seen some years apart and then usually in March or early April. It's all connect to the floods in the UK, the cold spell in the US and the warmth in the Atlantic Arctic. While such configurations are not unusual, but it's very unusual that it lasts for weeks and weeks.

There seems to be a change on the way. Today was perfectly sunny and I can see Orion through the window right now! Perfect timing since this week is a school holiday and I'm on vacation.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Destructor1701Date: Tuesday, 18.02.2014, 00:58 | Message # 24
Pioneer
Ireland
In Ireland, we've been having unprecedented storm after unprecedented storm for more than a month now.

One just bleeds into the other.

The radio internet device mast was snapped off the chimney by one of the storms, with winds averaging close to 100kph here where I live (an exposed hilltop near a mountain). I built a wooden flower-arch for my Mum about six months ago, it is no longer in one piece.

Neighbours have had heavy-duty fences and gates shattered, farm sheds have been skeletonised, walls collapsed, scores of trees uprooted, and the RAIN!

In a country famed for its rainfall, we've never seen anything like this. It has literally been raining nearly non-stop for a month. The ground is so saturated that the water-table has risen to a couple of centimetres above the surface... which has the nice side-effect of flooding our septic tank... which the dic - ahem! Which the clever gentlemen who built our house placed up-hill of us.

The ground around the tank is about a metre and a half higher than the floor level of the ground floor of our house.

"Luckily", there is a sewage-inspection manhole between the tank and the house. The water pressure from the ground-saturation-flooded tank popped the hatch on the manhole, and the excess water is flowing out there.

Of course, that means that, for the last three weeks, there's been a stream of (heavily diluted) sewer water flowing around my house from the hatch, and running down the driveway to the river that the road outside has become... but that's preferable to the toilets and drains of the house backing up - though that does occasionally happen in a heavy rainstorm where the manhole proves too constricted to relieve all the pressure.

One night, we had the dog sleep upstairs for fear that the rain - which was insanely heavy - would back up and flood the ground floor. I remind you that we are on a hilltop!

So yeah - we're rationing toilet flushes, and showers have been a once-a-week affair for about the last three.

And the rain... keeps... falling...

Though, actually, it's the first very clear night here tonight in ages. I, too, can see Orion. Up til now, there were a handful of gaps that would last for maybe 30 minutes, then cloud up and continue raining, but hopefully tonight remains clear.

The weather service are predicting that drainage of saturated land like ours could take months...

Edited by Destructor1701 - Tuesday, 18.02.2014, 01:11

DisasterpieceDate: Tuesday, 18.02.2014, 02:39 | Message # 25
World Builder
United States
I just drove with my mom to a Chinese (American-Chinese, not authentic) place we go to sometimes. They had a flat roof. We had about 40 inches of snow. They now have no roof. No, we do not live in Alaska.

I play teh spase engien

Edited by Disasterpiece - Tuesday, 18.02.2014, 02:39

midtskogenDate: Monday, 03.03.2014, 19:09 | Message # 26
Star Engineer
Norway
So, it's 3rd March and so far this year my weather station has recorded a total of 19 hours and 5 minutes of sunshine, and still nothing in the forecast for the next week. I think I'm going to need D vitamin supplements... And now the nights are rapidly shrinking, so this is becoming a terrible season astronomy wise.

The weather station in Oslo with the longest history, not moved since 1876, got a new precipitation record for February, 242 mm, and a new record for the winter (DJF), 605 mm.

Average RH for DJF has been 93%.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Monday, 03.03.2014, 19:30

Fireinthehole-Date: Monday, 03.03.2014, 21:12 | Message # 27
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
Quote midtskogen ()
So, it's 3rd March and so far this year my weather station has recorded a total of 19 hours and 5 minutes of sunshine, and still nothing in the forecast for the next week. I think I'm going to need D vitamin supplements... And now the nights are rapidly shrinking, so this is becoming a terrible season astronomy wise.

The weather station in Oslo with the longest history, not moved since 1876, got a new precipitation record for February, 242 mm, and a new record for the winter (DJF), 605 mm.

Average RH for DJF has been 93%.

Same in Sweden. 2014 is the year with the least time of sunshine I have ever experienced.

Love Space Engine!

midtskogenDate: Sunday, 09.03.2014, 21:14 | Message # 28
Star Engineer
Norway
We finally have some good weather. Warm and sunny. After three months of extreme precipitation the snow accumulation a bit uphill is tremendous over here, which usually is the dry side of the mountains. I can't remember this much snow, at least not this early in the season. Some pictures I shot today, about 800 m.a.s.l. about 70 km from Oslo:

Attachments: 0476450.jpg (182.7 Kb) · 3982485.jpg (558.7 Kb) · 8627496.jpg (487.2 Kb) · 9656515.jpg (147.9 Kb)

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Sunday, 09.03.2014, 21:14

SolarisDate: Tuesday, 11.03.2014, 01:22 | Message # 29
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
France
This is pretty darn impressive midtskogen. It's great you finaly get chance to see blue skies and even stars smile

desertsoldier22Date: Tuesday, 18.03.2014, 05:07 | Message # 30
Astronaut
United States
Snow and ice here in Houston last month, and Michigan where I am from is getting walloped by snow like it did back in '97

Added (18.03.2014, 08:07)
---------------------------------------------
I think May will be a great chasing this year in Northern Texas and Oklahoma.

Edited by desertsoldier22 - Tuesday, 18.03.2014, 05:06

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Unusual weather (Let's talk about the weather)
Search: