ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Unusual weather (Let's talk about the weather)
Unusual weather
WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 13.10.2016, 07:14 | Message # 106
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Oh, so you're the one hogging all the air!

That's spectacular footage. Love a good storm like that. smile

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 15.10.2016, 06:48 | Message # 107
Galaxy Architect
United States
The low's not deepening as much as forecast (~970mb instead of mid 950s). However, it will landfall and follow a northeasterly track just to the west of me, with a very tight pressure gradient. So instead of big coastal waves, it will be big winds -- not 'historic', but about a one in 10 year event. Fun! happy

spacerDate: Saturday, 15.10.2016, 07:06 | Message # 108
Star Engineer
Group: Users
Israel
Watsisname, and i here i am living in the boredom weather country!!! angry sad

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

midtskogenDate: Saturday, 15.10.2016, 18:28 | Message # 109
Star Engineer
Norway
Yesterday's high, 14th October, was below freezing here in Oslo. That's the earliest date for that in my records (just 13 years, though). That's the most exciting I manage to get out of somewhat dull weather here these days.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

spacerDate: Saturday, 15.10.2016, 18:56 | Message # 110
Star Engineer
Israel
midtskogen, i saw that there is heavy snowfall west/north west to oslo is that true?
its really good to see that sometimes cold wins against the heat these days. i saw that all of europe in this october was below average temperature while the middle east had above average october

-carl sagan

midtskogenDate: Saturday, 15.10.2016, 19:28 | Message # 111
Star Engineer
Norway
Quote spacer ()
i saw that there is heavy snowfall west/north west to oslo is that true?

In the past week, Oslo has had just cloudy weather with a few flurries a couple of days ago, but it's been sunny slightly further west and north. We've had a few minutes of sunshine at sunset.

Snow is only found above 1000 masl in western parts of central Norway, cf. pictures that I posted in another thread recently.
Meanwhile, at 78N: debris flow.

Attachments: 8772427.jpg (98.2 Kb)

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Edited by midtskogen - Saturday, 15.10.2016, 19:33

spacerDate: Saturday, 22.10.2016, 07:21 | Message # 112
Star Engineer
Israel
meanwhile its dry october here. last time i saw drop of water from the sky was 4-5 months ago.
i hope for first rain next week (acording to some models)
only thing good i can think of is that in the last 5 years when october was dry, the rest of the winter was wet.
i just hope for no more Drought like last year in the north

-carl sagan

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 25.10.2016, 01:22 | Message # 113
Galaxy Architect
United States
Not unusual, but very pretty to watch. A ~970mb low with several small sub-vortices around the center of circulation.

SalvoDate: Tuesday, 25.10.2016, 06:32 | Message # 114
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote spacer ()
meanwhile its dry october here

While in italy rains two days out of three dry

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

BananaDate: Sunday, 30.10.2016, 01:18 | Message # 115
Astronaut
United States
My area rarely suffers from extreme weather. A while ago we had our first thunderstorm in years, and it was all people would talk about.

Hello.

midtskogenDate: Tuesday, 08.11.2016, 10:57 | Message # 116
Star Engineer
Norway
The highest temperature at 0700 CET today in Norway was +6.3C measured in Svalbard (which now has entered the polar night) and the lowest temperature was -32.6C measured in southern Norway. Latitude isn't everything.

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

AerospacefagDate: Tuesday, 08.11.2016, 19:08 | Message # 117
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Today a sudden gust of southern wind invaded our airspace and we suddenly had a rain and about +6 in the city after a long period of near-zero temperature. I wasn't gouing outside because I'm on vacation, but the weather was terrible, a visibility is about 100 meters and very humid. However very soon the northern winds will come, and we expect the streets to freeze all over, I'm sure this will be terrible.

Moscow isn't doing much better.

Here's the snapshot:
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2016....,55.983

Edited by Aerospacefag - Tuesday, 08.11.2016, 19:19

AerospacefagDate: Friday, 11.11.2016, 14:46 | Message # 118
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Continuing report.

Last day brought us a severe ice storm, and then a cold rain. Situation was pretty desperate, I barely managed to get down from our apartment's door to solid asphalt. The problem is, of course, that in cold weather at night, an ice crust is formed, and when day comes, the temperature rises and the ice becomes more slippery then a teflon. And it is almost everywhere.

This is a strange display - because the earth is still above zero temperature, and the air is around melting point, and there's rain, the ice and snow layer melts simultaneously from above and from below. Thus there are some granulated structures forming below the ice, while the top layer is entirely invisible. What you see on the photo is in fact an ice rink, not a normal snow.

The ice crust is about 5-7 millimetres, which is pretty severe, so it is also dangerous to walk below roof edges because melting fragments may fall on your head like a stone. This is not a state of emergency out there, but some of the school classes are cancelled and we advised our elders to avoid going outside.

But this is not the end yet. In the weekend, the temperature is going to drop like a stone by 10-15 degrees, and I hope there will be enough snow to at least cover and freeze together with ice. Or I'm going to improvise ice shoes just to be able to get to work.

Attachments: 3264702.jpg (184.9 Kb) · 6990269.jpg (59.3 Kb)

Edited by Aerospacefag - Friday, 11.11.2016, 15:01

midtskogenDate: Tuesday, 15.11.2016, 12:36 | Message # 119
Star Engineer
Norway
A weather map showing extreme departures from seasonal temperatures:

And it's not just now. For instance, Svalbard, which weeks ago entered the polar night, is still flushed with one rainstorm after the other, dumping a month's of normal precipitation in a day or less, again and again, triggering mud slides and floods. In the 70's Svalbard would had been covered in snow since September and Svalbard's fjords would have been frozen by mid-November.

Attachments: 7118998.png (153.8 Kb)

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

PlutonianEmpireDate: Tuesday, 15.11.2016, 18:55 | Message # 120
Pioneer
United States
^
Can confirm, Minnesota just had its longest growing season on record, with an unseasonably warm November.

My pic from 5 days ago:

We should have had our first snowfall by now. tongue

Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

Edited by PlutonianEmpire - Tuesday, 15.11.2016, 18:56

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Unusual weather (Let's talk about the weather)
Search: