ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » SpaceEngine TODO List - Updated 14th Dec 2015 (What's planned for future releases)
SpaceEngine TODO List - Updated 14th Dec 2015
AeroWolfDate: Friday, 18.12.2015, 21:30 | Message # 331
Observer
Group: Users
United Kingdom
Will rogue planets be added?

Also can stars and planets exist outside of a galaxy

And could life exist on a planet orbiting a star outside a galaxy

Lenovo g500s Core I3 2.4ghz dual core, 4GB ram, Intel HD 4000 graphics :(

Edited by AeroWolf - Friday, 18.12.2015, 21:31

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 19.12.2015, 00:09 | Message # 332
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Probably/eventually, yes (stars can be cast out of the galaxy during a merger), and yes. smile

SpaghettiInSpaceDate: Thursday, 24.12.2015, 10:46 | Message # 333
Observer
Group: Newbies
United Kingdom
Hi SpaceEngineer.

It goes without saying but I will say it anyway : SE is a fantastic piece of software on so many levels, Thank You! :D

I have a question regarding galactic dust extinction, I have noticed that the dust will extinct distant galaxies light but it won't do the same for the background(behind the dust) globular clusters/stars or nebulae.

Is this a matter of some settings or a current shortcoming that will eventually be addressed ?

Thank You for all the splendid work u do!

P.S.: I will donate again as soon as I will find another job wacko

Edited by SpaghettiInSpace - Thursday, 24.12.2015, 10:49

DeathStarDate: Monday, 28.12.2015, 19:24 | Message # 334
Pioneer
Croatia
I've noticed a tiny detail in the ToDo list that seems to be off. "Modelling the evolution of galaxies" is gray, implying that it is a feature definitely planned for the future(something which I doubt). While I realize that this is just a tiny oversight, someone might get their hopes up that this will definitely be implemented. Same goes for "simulation of galaxy collisions".

Edited by DeathStar - Monday, 28.12.2015, 19:25

FireintheholeDate: Monday, 28.12.2015, 20:26 | Message # 335
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
Quote DeathStar ()
I've noticed a tiny detail in the ToDo list that seems to be off. "Modelling the evolution of galaxies" is gray, implying that it is a feature definitely planned for the future(something which I doubt). While I realize that this is just a tiny oversight, someone might get their hopes up that this will definitely be implemented. Same goes for "simulation of galaxy collisions".

On the other hand, SpaceEngineer states:
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
as long as SE is a scientifically accurate Universe simulator, then one day it will implement ALL space objects and phenomenon that are known to modern astronomy (if this would be possible to implement on the personal computers). So you may not bother yourself with questions like "will SE one day have meteor rain implemented". I guarantee that it WILL.

Love SpaceEngine!

DeathStarDate: Monday, 28.12.2015, 20:34 | Message # 336
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote Fireinthehole ()
On the other hand, SpaceEngineer states:
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
as long as SE is a scientifically accurate Universe simulator, then one day it will implement ALL space objects and phenomenon that are known to modern astronomy (if this would be possible to implement on the personal computers). So you may not bother yourself with questions like "will SE one day have meteor rain implemented". I guarantee that it WILL.

Well, if we go by that logic, why even have a ToDo list? It's still necessary to differentiate between features that SpaceEngineer will definitely be able to implement(gray features in the ToDo list), and those that can't really be guaranteed to be possible to implement in the game(stellar evolution and galactic evolution, for example, and in general features that are related to very long periods of time, since this would at best require MASSIVE amounts of work and core changes to the engine, and at worst wouldn't be feasible on home computers at all).

kham132Date: Tuesday, 12.01.2016, 15:10 | Message # 337
Space Pilot
United States
Have you thought about adding caves to procedural planets?

"Fancy and inspirational quote."
- Famous Person

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 12.01.2016, 19:22 | Message # 338
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote kham132 ()
Have you thought about adding caves to procedural planets?

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Holes in the surface (caves, mines)

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

FireintheholeDate: Sunday, 24.01.2016, 00:38 | Message # 339
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
Are there plans for making the illumination of planets more realistic? For example, planets that are very close to their star would be illuminated more than 50%, especially planets orbiting close to a giant star, where some part of the star could be visible from almost the entire planetary surface.

Love SpaceEngine!

artInvader999Date: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 21:24 | Message # 340
Observer
Pakistan
Well SpaceEngineer is doing a great work. But the updates are taking too long. I know that spaceengineer is the sole programmer of space engine but still the updates should be more frequent. After a year or two a few major updates are done :'(

Here are some screenshots of space engine major updates.See the time difference between them Please Spaceenginer pick up some pace :(

14th Dec 2015

31st Dec 2014

27th Aug 2014

15th Dec 2012

14th Oct 2011

Edited by artInvader999 - Saturday, 30.01.2016, 21:27

DeathStarDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 23:44 | Message # 341
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote artInvader999 ()
Well SpaceEngineer is doing a great work. But the updates are taking too long. I know that spaceengineer is the sole programmer of space engine but still the updates should be more frequent. After a year or two a few major updates are done :'(

Here are some screenshots of space engine major updates.See the time difference between them Please Spaceenginer pick up some pace :(

Instead of looking at the TODO list(which is just a rough outline of the most major features), take a look at the update logs themselves and then see for yourself whether development is as slow as you think. Here's just the MAJOR additions in 0.9.7.4 which has been in development for a little over half a year:

-Realistic, ray-traced ship jets
-Rendering of ships in interstellar space(was probably much harder to implement than it sounds, considering it wasn't immediately implemented along with ships)
-Working wiki text editor
-Reverse depth buffer(absolutely critical feature)
-Docking
-Relativistic effects near black holes
-Accretion disks
-Vastly improved low-mass star rendering
-Y dwarfs
-Improved asteroid and selena rendering(Klud's mod was integrated, along with several additions by SpaceEngineer himself)
-Atmospheric composition information
-Improved red giant rendering

And that leaves out literally dozens of minor features that nevertheless contribute to the game as well.

And if you still think SpaceEngine development is slow, compare it to, for example, Minecraft - an entire team is developing it, it is backed by Microsoft, the developer is extremely wealthy and the game is massively popular, yet development has for the last 2 years going literally at a snail's pace, with entire months passing by with the only new additions being bug fixes and a minor feature here and there. THAT is slow development, not SpaceEngine.

ZackGDate: Sunday, 31.01.2016, 07:10 | Message # 342
Space Pilot
United States
Why couldnt he set the sim to a open source system. this way, not only he can develop but others can join as well

MOBO:ASUS Sabertooth Mark I
CPU:Intel I7 4790 3.6Ghz
GPU:NVIDIA GTX960 4GB
Memory:32GB 1600Mhz (Corsair 4x8GB)

WatsisnameDate: Sunday, 31.01.2016, 08:04 | Message # 343
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
artInvader999:

We all love SpaceEngine very much, and I can appreciate how strongly you anticipate updates. We all do. But please understand that you're getting this software for free, from one person who gets nothing more than donations for his hard work. This work is not only in creating new features, but also in testing and responding to errors and bug reports. Unless you're providing funding in a very significant way, then I think it's more than a little discourteous to ask the developer to hurry up the pace.

So please think about what you're saying before you post, okay? smile

ZackG, not everyone wishes to turn their project open source or build a dev team around it. The FAQ specifically says there are no plans on turning SE open source.

SomeoneDate: Monday, 01.02.2016, 12:34 | Message # 344
Observer
Indonesia
Quote DeathStar ()
-Realistic, ray-traced ship jets
-Rendering of ships in interstellar space(was probably much harder to implement than it sounds, considering it wasn't immediately implemented along with ships)
-Working wiki text editor
-Reverse depth buffer(absolutely critical feature)
-Docking
-Relativistic effects near black holes
-Accretion disks
-Vastly improved low-mass star rendering
-Y dwarfs
-Improved asteroid and selena rendering(Klud's mod was integrated, along with several additions by SpaceEngineer himself)
-Atmospheric composition information
-Improved red giant rendering

SO MUCH HYPE!!!!

InariusDate: Monday, 01.02.2016, 16:35 | Message # 345
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
France
@artInvader999 : I understand your frustration. However, you have to understand several things.

- If you are a coder (i doubt you are), you should know that development is, by essence, slow. And it gets necessarily slower and slower because it's like lego. Each small new things must connect with the bigger and bigger building. Debugging, coding, constructing, all of this is very slow, because you have first to imagine the feature, then imagine where, and how, then you have to code it, sometimes before you have to make researches on the net to see how other people would do it, (and of course, people seldom do exactly the same thing as you, and it only gets worse while you are progressing in your project), then you have to try it, test it, several times, and many times you have to take hours to debug it. It's like this for every micro feature. A "medium" feature, something that you will notice ingame, is generally a mixture of dozens (or more) micro things that you have to add, 100 lines of new code here, 500 lines you have to rewrite here, etc. For big features, you generally have months of preliminary work, invisible things that don't do anything in-game but just maintain the whole new system, until the final "ahah" moment. Imagine that, if you have a bug at this stage, you'll have to hunt it among thousands of lines.

- About team work. Coding alone is a passion. Coding in group is a job. That's how I see it. When you code alone, you can have your own style, your own way, you know your architecture. Coding in group is much more formal, you have to convince others, do some management, well, it's less time for your leisure (unless management and Human ressources is your thing). As coding can be very hard sometimes and painful, if you don't have a strong motivation, it can be easy to let it go and leave the project. Money can be a motivation (that's why i say it can be a job). But if you do it on top of your job, you can expect it to be fun, a pleasure. Can't you imagine that Spaceengineer also do it for himself ? He probably likes to code, or he wouldn't have done it for so long. Team coding is fun, too, but much less (especially when your co-worker are not in the same office than you, that is to say, 100% of the time, unless it's at work or family relatives). Anyway, considering the size of the current project, if some people would join him for the main code, it would take months until the new coder would be useful. Finally, when you are several people in a project, each one is generally A LOT less invested, and I'm not sure that 2 people would code quicker than one in this case. Today, a lot of people are helping SE, and that's why he can code so fast on his part.

- I don't know if you know other one-man projects, but Spaceengineers is really not so bad as you think. He seems very regular in the project. Some becomes depressive and experience phase when they don't/can't code, or others loose a lot of time in minor things because they don't see motivation anymore in the "main" part. Coders are solitary, and live in the night, and don't have a lot people to speak of their code issues because it's so specific that nobody can understand or give real help. I sympathize with him (living this myself, too) and I think that you do not realize the amount of work behind all of this.

Edited by Inarius - Monday, 01.02.2016, 19:01

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » SpaceEngine TODO List - Updated 14th Dec 2015 (What's planned for future releases)
Search: