United Arab Emirates
wow. looks like it's gonna be great

http://www.themodernman.com/

GameOverDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:29 | Message # 17
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Brazil
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Each frame would probably take minutes to render, and the game would be unplayable

Yeah, but SE could render like this (if this level of detail is possible in a PC) when you wanted to take a screenshot. It wouldn't matter how much time would be needed for each frame, since you only want to render one cool

Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz; 2GB RAM; GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB VRAM

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:29 | Message # 18
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (GameOver)
Yeah, but SE could render like this (if this level of detail is possible in a PC)

The rendering techniques, types of effects, and generation methods used to create that shot are all very dissimilar to SpaceEngine, and for the most part far more complex. So while some programs could render like this (like Maya, which was used in Avatar), simulation software like SE couldn't generate scenes like this, and I wouldn't expect that to change for perhaps a decade.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:29 | Message # 19
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
The rendering techniques, types of effects, and generation methods used to create that shot are all very dissimilar to SpaceEngine, and for the most part far more complex. So while some programs could render like this (like Maya, which was used in Avatar), simulation software like SE couldn't generate scenes like this, and I wouldn't expect that to change for perhaps a decade.

I don't see a problem. In SE, terrestrial planets from a distance look very similar to Avatar's shot. The gas giant is just Jupiter colored to blue. If I take such details of Jupiter's texture, I will put it in the next version. Other moons are just Io, Ganymede and Europa. This is clearly seen in the scene where Jake fights with wolves in the forest at night. Just take a screenshot from the film and compare it with Jupiter's moons photos.

Attachments: 5913868.jpg (101.9 Kb)

architeuthisDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:29 | Message # 20
Space Tourist
United States
Ha ha, nice screenshot! That said it would be neat if we had the processing power to use some computational fluid dynamics to generate more realistic looking textures for the procedural gas giants.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:29 | Message # 21
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
I don't see a problem. In SE, terrestrial planets from distance looks very similar to Avatar's shot.

What I meant is that you couldn't render a scene to look exactly like that in SE. But, as you just showed, you can get a very good approximation. But procedural generation techniques on home PCs necessarily yield different results than what a dedicated 3D artist using professional modeling, rendering and animation software with the power of a production house render farm can produce. Given the level of detail versus the processing power required though, SpaceEngine is far more efficient happy I've always thought that SpaceEngine looks great, and I continue to be impressed with it every time I run the program. As soon as you start taking donations I'll be the first in line to throw some money in. I believe very strongly in the future growth and development of this masterpiece.

My SE mods and addons

apenpaapDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:30 | Message # 22
World Builder
Antarctica
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
If I take such details of Jupiter's texture, I will put it in the next version.

That'd be awesme surprised Jupiter is such a beautiful planet, it's a shame its current texture is so low-resolution. It'd be gorgeous with a highly detailed texture.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

TalynDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:30 | Message # 23
Explorer
Portugal
Maybe another hi-res pack OFFICIAL add-on? nyam

PC: Intel Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.00 GHz & 4GB DDR3 @ 1333 - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with 640 MB VRAM
Laptop: Intel Core2Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz & 4 GB DDR @ 1066 - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:30 | Message # 24
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Talyn)
Maybe another hi-res pack OFFICIAL add-on?

Yes, if you find hi-res source texture smile

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:30 | Message # 25
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Yes, if you find hi-res source texture

The only thing I know of with a lot of images is NASA's photo journal

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/targetFamily/Jupiter?start=0

But something tells me you are probably already familiar with this.

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

AmyDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:30 | Message # 26
Observer
Group: Newbies
Thailand
Personally, I can't wait to see the real thing from my spaceship in 100 years time. Yes, lifespans are going to increase. See you in the next galaxy peoples! smile I want to have a friend like Talyn's avatar...the purple girl. She's scary, but I think she'd be interesting...

http://www.alacraft.com.au/cotton-lace-cat20

TalynDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:30 | Message # 27
Explorer
Portugal
Quote (Amy)
I want to have a friend like Talyn's avatar...the purple girl

I have to warn you that I am quite sensitive when someone talks about my girlfriend...

Just kidding wink
Have you ever played Mass Effect? She is an Assari and the race has is in fact only one gender, but very similar to a human female smile
One of the most powerfull races in the Mass Effect Universe

PC: Intel Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.00 GHz & 4GB DDR3 @ 1333 - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with 640 MB VRAM
Laptop: Intel Core2Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz & 4 GB DDR @ 1066 - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:31 | Message # 28
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Talyn)
I have to warn you that I am quite sensitive when someone talks about my girlfriend...

I'd embrace eternity with her any day biggrin kidding haha I love Mass Effect, possibly the greatest sci-fi universe ever conceived.

My SE mods and addons

TalismanDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 11:31 | Message # 29
Pioneer
United States
Quote (Talyn)
I am quite sensitive when someone talks about my girlfriend...

Are you an Assari? cool

I haven't played Mass Effect but I think I'd stick with Miranda.

KvikiDate: Wednesday, 18.07.2012, 12:34 | Message # 30
Explorer
Group: SE team
Croatia
All we need now is some way to preserve the planet's generated detail at a bigger distance, more ''patchy'' clouds, get the terrain to be fully covered in green plant life and voila - the perfect Pandora!

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Polyphemus
Search: