Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » How to control ships
How to control ships
TritonClawDate: Friday, 01.11.2013, 23:30 | Message # 61
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Canada
Thanks, HarbingerDawn. I'll be sure to search next time. And happy birthday, btw.

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 01.11.2013, 23:31 | Message # 62
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Thanks smile (now I'll merge the thread with the existing thread)

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

BunnyBoy22Date: Thursday, 30.01.2014, 01:02 | Message # 63
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
I am very confused on the whole ship control thing. I have a screenshot I am going to show then I will list a few questions.

It didn't take a picture of the instruments on screen.

I am going 0.00m/s. I even used the sliders for the thrusters to try and move but can't unless I am doing something wrong?

Why can't I keep the camera dead center when I am in control? Is there first person / cockpit?

I know the controls for free move / camera. However it doesn't seem to apply to the ship? I am sorry if I am not giving enough information or making sense. But this is complicated haha smile

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 30.01.2014, 01:13 | Message # 64
Cosmic Curator
United States
BunnyBoy22, read the forum rules before posting on the forum.

Instructions on how to control ships (and everything else in SE) are included in the readme file. And the camera's position is automatically set when taking control of a ship and will stay fixed relative to the ship, so there should be no reason for the camera angle to change when flying it unless you change it yourself.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 30.01.2014, 11:38 | Message # 65
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
BunnyBoy22, did you take control on the ship (by pressing '4' key), or simply go to it and fly around with free camera?

SilverVisageDate: Wednesday, 07.05.2014, 11:04 | Message # 66
Observer
Romania
Hello,
First of all I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section, I just signed up to the forum.
Anyway, I've been using SpaceEngine for a time now and I've added some Star Trek space ships to it from the Mods section, and I'm exploring planets with ships. However, I was wondering if there's any possibility, or key combination, something that would stop your ship completely? (like inertial dampeners) Or maybe a feature to select a planet and the put your ship into orbit automatically?
Just wondering if there's any mods or functions in the simulator that would do any of the things mentioned above.
Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Silver

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 07.05.2014, 12:37 | Message # 67
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
I decided to merge your thread with this one since we have had many discussions on ships. In the future use the search function, you will probably find the answers you need scattered around the forum or in the readme to the program.

Quote SilverVisage ()
However, I was wondering if there's any possibility, or key combination, something that would stop your ship completely?

Press ~

Type in UFO, Aero, and Gravity. UFO enables older version flight control and allows you to accelerate as fast as you want and instantly stop. Default stop key is Z, I rebound it on my end to spacebar and put time stop to z instead, as it seemed more intuitive. At the very least you will need UFO mode for infinite acceleration and instant stop.

Aero disables aerodynamics in planet atmospheres.

Gravity disables gravitational effects on ships, but you can still put ships in orbit.

Quote SilverVisage ()
(like inertial dampeners) Or maybe a feature to select a planet and the put your ship into orbit automatically?

You can click targets and press "G" to instantly go to them while in control of a ship. Ships do not render in interstellar space yet though and auto orbiting doesn't exist either, both are planned features.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

SilverVisageDate: Thursday, 08.05.2014, 07:20 | Message # 68
Observer
Romania
Thank you for the detailed response Mr Doctor. These commands make ship flying more enjoyable. Cheers!

YuukeiDate: Tuesday, 09.09.2014, 00:20 | Message # 69
Observer
Spain
I have tried a lot of time piloting a nice cool spaceship in the middle of the inner space like i have seen on youtube per example but no matter what i do, no matter the times i tried to solve my problem spending an hours pushing any single button on my keyboard, the ship wont move, it keeps saying something like your ship is rotating and i dont have any clue to hover the engines, i dont even know what it means and it seems the option is gray out like its totally blocked...

And dont tell me to spent 50 hours learning hard stuff about orbits because i have seen people on youtube using ships and moving it successfully in the middle of nowhere.

Please, i love the game and this is my only complain about it, the rest is uter-fantastic and so.

pi3fai1Date: Monday, 11.04.2016, 15:37 | Message # 70
Observer
Pirate
The best way i found to establish an orbit:
1. Eliminate any velocity you have
2. put your ship in horizon mode
3. Accelerate until you reach the desired periapsis
4.when you reach the periapsis(to ensure the most circular orbit), put your ship in anti-radial mode and burn until you have the lowest eccentricy

Don_SolarisDate: Friday, 13.05.2016, 17:26 | Message # 71
Observer
Group: Users
Pirate
Tried my first orbital flight today. And no issues whatsoever. Didn't even read the key commands manual (LOL!). Seriously it is not that hard at all. If i could point out one thing that helped me was watching Orbiter tutorials in the past. Really helped me understand orbits, prograde/ retrograde movements, etc.

Also a really cool (retro) video by NASA on the subject. Highly recommended for anyone going into orbital flight for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7EwmxBAW8

Edited by Don_Solaris - Friday, 13.05.2016, 17:29

mafkaas3000Date: Friday, 12.08.2016, 17:46 | Message # 72
Observer
Netherlands
I am truly sorry if this was already asked before but couldn't find an answer to my question neither through forum search nor the rest of thy interwebs.

I used a lot of Space Engine and enjoyed the serenity and exploration. For that extra dimension I tried to use spaceships. Although I'm able to control the ship semi-automatic is there also a way to "commandeer" the ship?
What I mean is me being a sightseeing captain of my starship giving orders to my pilot: "Good sir, do you mind going in to an 100.000 km orbit of the targeted planet?"

A menu where you could type in the desired longtitude/lattitude, orbit height, eccentricity, etc. would be suffice too. :p

Nevertheless, I am already glad that flying through the universe works this great as it is!

Edit: Is there also a way to change camera mode? Right now if I press the right mouse button on my spaceship is see the menu with a checkmark next to 'Rotate with object' but I can not uncheck it. Also I can't seem to find something related to it in the readme file or in the options menu. Or a zoom function for that matter and I don't mean changing the FOV.

Edit edit: Ok, disregard my original question as I have seen that it is being worked on. I couldn't find it by searching for. It's something like lost stuff, as soon as you don't look for it anymore you suddenly find it. Or I just suck at searching. Still my second question about vehicular camera control I haven't found yet.

Edited by mafkaas3000 - Friday, 12.08.2016, 20:06

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » How to control ships
Search: