Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » How to control ships
How to control ships
HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 27.02.2013, 00:39 | Message # 46
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Vinny, as you could clearly see that thread had nothing to do with controlling spacecraft. There is a thread for that here. And as I have explained to you before, spacecraft are a highly experimental feature with very little development, there is no autopilot, there are no cool features that you don't know about them, there's just the WASD and rotation.

If you don't start being more mindful of what you're posting and where you're posting it, then you might have to take a few days off from the forum to think about it.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

VinnyDate: Wednesday, 27.02.2013, 04:48 | Message # 47
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
HarbingerDawn, I apologize to you for posting in the wrong place. Please forgive me. Thanks! What I'm afraid of now is I'm going to dwell about posting in the wrong place. I'm very finicky about being a bad forum user!

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 27.02.2013, 05:31 | Message # 48
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Vinny)
What I'm afraid of now is I'm going to dwell about posting in the wrong place.

Don't dwell on it in worry, but do think about whether where you're posting is the best possible place to post. For the most part it is not hard to figure out where to post, if you put some effort into it and use good sense. Almost everyone on the forum, even people who are quite new, can do it so I know that it's not too hard. Just keep the forum rules in mind, post in a place that is directly related to the content of your post, and try to not create any new threads. When in doubt, post in the most generalized thread possible (like Image Dump for sharing screenshots/adventures, or General SE Questions for asking stuff about the program). As long as I can see that you're making an effort I won't be too hard on you, the same goes for everyone else.

My SE mods and addons

VinnyDate: Wednesday, 27.02.2013, 05:46 | Message # 49
Explorer
United States
HarbingerDawn, you got the point there! Now I feel better! Thanks!

ssdfDate: Thursday, 11.04.2013, 09:25 | Message # 50
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Hello, I recently started playing Space Engine, and what can I say. It is incredible. However, I have some issues getting everything under my belt. I can't seem to figure out how to make my ship move. It will rotate and what not, but it won't actually accelerate. I select a ship using Ctrl-F3, then I hit 4 to enable game mode, but unlike free mode, W does not accelerate me, neither does the up arrow. Also, I tried airplane and spaceship mode, but they only seem to affect the camera and not the actual ship. Long story short, How can I make my ship move around?

Second issue would be excessive crashing. I can't really tell what the issue is.

System Specs:

Intel i5 Quad core 3.4 GHZ

16 GB DDR3 Ram

480 GB SSD

NVidia GTX 580 GPU

All Drivers should be up to date.

Here is my SE log

Great program btw. Truly wonderful.

Attachments: 5548742.log (23.1 Kb)

Edited by ssdf - Thursday, 11.04.2013, 09:44

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 11.04.2013, 09:43 | Message # 51
Cosmic Curator
United States
ssdf, a thread about how to control ships already exists here.

WASDRF controls the acceleration of the ship just like in free mode, and all other modes. Check to make sure that time is not paused (hit the spacebar).

My SE mods and addons

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 11.04.2013, 17:50 | Message # 52
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
ssdf, increase acceleration with mouse wheel. Maybe you just trying to fly with 10 m/s2 acceleration.

Jeroll3dDate: Friday, 12.04.2013, 16:54 | Message # 53
Astronaut
Brazil
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
ssdf, increase acceleration with mouse wheel. Maybe you just trying to fly with 10 m/s2 acceleration.

Any change in view and control in new version 0.97?

smile

ProteusDate: Wednesday, 19.06.2013, 15:41 | Message # 54
Explorer
United States
*waves* New member here, nice to meet everyone.

I didn't know where exactly the correct place to post this, and I've done a search on this topic but didn't find anything actually explaining this clearly.

I'd like to use ships in SE. I know how to use the GUI to "take control" of it, and I know how to use the NUM pad to turn it different ways. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to get it to move. Exactly what keys do I use to get the ship to accelerate? I also seem to have trouble keeping the camera on the ship. When I think I am starting to go, the ship itself disappears from the screen and I can't seem to find it anymore, even if I use "teleport here" with the ship selected.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong and have the controls confused.

Any clear instruction with this would be Really appreciated.

Thanks! smile

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 19.06.2013, 17:38 | Message # 55
Cosmic Curator
United States
Hello Proteus, welcome to the forum.

A search for "how to control ships" would have immediately brought you to this thread: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/11-721-1 Everything you need to know should be in there, and in the readme files provided with SE.

Even if the thread did not have the information you were looking for, it is still on the same topic and so you should have posted there.

My SE mods and addons

ProteusDate: Wednesday, 19.06.2013, 18:20 | Message # 56
Explorer
United States
I apologize. I don't know why that thread never came up with my search or else I would have simply read it and figured it out.

Thank you.

gecko1501Date: Wednesday, 28.08.2013, 22:42 | Message # 57
Observer
United States
Alright guys, please don't yell at me. I've been reading through everything on this forum and the readme, but I can't control my ships.. entirely. I hit ctrl+f3, select a ship, press take control, press 4, and all I can do is accelerate, decelerate, slide left and right, and rotate. But I can't turn in any of the four directions... I've played with numlock, I've tried using custom key bindings, jumped back to default. This ship isn't turning no matter what I do. No one else seems to be having the same problems I am on this forum, most that sound like they are, seems to figure something out quick... so that MUST mean I'm doing something stupid, but for the life of me, and I do feel dumb, I cannot find out what I am doing wrong...someone please help me.

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 29.08.2013, 09:35 | Message # 58
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Check out your "Numpad 5" and "X" keys. They are stopped rotation. Maybe they are stick?

TritonClawDate: Friday, 01.11.2013, 23:22 | Message # 59
Space Tourist
Canada
I know this is a dumb question, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to make a ship turn. I can make it accelerate and move to the left but not face a different direction. I saw someone turning and they said they were using the numpad, but that isn't working for me.

EDIT: Also, I'm having trouble moving relative to planets. I'd like to fly over them not coast by their surface.

Edited by TritonClaw - Friday, 01.11.2013, 23:25

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 01.11.2013, 23:27 | Message # 60
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote TritonClaw ()
I saw someone turning and they said they were using the numpad, but that isn't working for me.

Make sure Num Lock is on. Also, there is a thread for this here. A search for "ship control" would have shown you it immediately. In the future please try to search for an existing thread to post in before creating a new one.

Anyway, in the next version you will also be able to turn the ship with the left mouse button also (currently used to turn the camera).

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » How to control ships
Search: