ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Music I've enjoyed while using SpaceEngine
Music I've enjoyed while using SpaceEngine
pebbleDate: Monday, 23.07.2012, 05:09 | Message # 16
Astronaut
Group: Users
United States
This.
Thread.
Rocks.

Thanks so much for everyone's kickass suggestions!

H2BroDate: Wednesday, 05.09.2012, 19:37 | Message # 17
Astronaut
Norway
Right now I use a playlist done up by "Vangelis" which is actually the original album music for Cosmos TV series. Some of the tracks are very apt for space settings, and more to the point it calls up some powerful reminiscence of awe and wonder.

You guys have recommendations on good galaxy exploring tunes? I'd love to hear them!

i3 370M 2.3Ghz ATI Radeon 5650 8GB DDR3 Win 7 (runs SE suprisingly well for a laptop!)

SolarisDate: Wednesday, 05.09.2012, 19:45 | Message # 18
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
France
Hi H2Bro, I agree that Vangelis+SE is really good, try the album "oceanic" smile it fit well for ground explorations.

On another note, your post should have been posted here : http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/11-554-1
Try to use the search fonction of the site before creating a new thread.

Edited by Solaris - Wednesday, 05.09.2012, 20:00

PrometheusRisingDate: Sunday, 09.09.2012, 15:26 | Message # 19
Observer
Group: Newbies
United Kingdom
If anyone here is into heavy metal, there's an underground band from Illinois called Mechina. They're industrial metal, similar to Fear Factory, but they incorporate orchestrations into their music that would make Hans Zimmer proud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXxxLp-Ufe8

And an orchestral version of that same song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sb8vQP3GEQ

There's also a band called AtomA. They make a strange blend of heavy metal, trance, folk music and ambient "space music".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD4H8OOR4sI

If you want electronic music, check out this site. All the stuff on there is free, from underground artists. Mostly trance, but there's plenty of ambient stuff too

http://www.ektoplazm.com/

H2BroDate: Sunday, 09.09.2012, 18:14 | Message # 20
Astronaut
Norway
Quote (Solaris)
I agree that Vangelis+SE is really good, try the album "oceanic" it fit well for ground explorations.

Hey Solaris, I will use the search next time. I think I ironically came across this and another similar thread just after posting.

Try listening to Vangelis's "tears in the rain" track right as you fly your ship past some gas giant... fairly superb if you ask me.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..." heres a youtube video of the song. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VupxqjTGAyk

i3 370M 2.3Ghz ATI Radeon 5650 8GB DDR3 Win 7 (runs SE suprisingly well for a laptop!)

SolarisDate: Monday, 10.09.2012, 01:44 | Message # 21
World Builder
France
Quote (H2Bro)
Try listening to Vangelis's "tears in the rain" track right as you fly your ship past some gas giant... fairly superb if you ask me.

Now superb if you ask me too smile

It's crazy how a large part of Vangelis work is reaally hard to listen and the other part is wonders, same for Philip Glass.

moonwhalerDate: Tuesday, 11.09.2012, 15:31 | Message # 22
Observer
Group: Newbies
Germany
Vangelis is a great experience for anything space related.
Especially, Albedo 0.39 is absolutely fitting music... Albedo 0.39

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 11.09.2012, 18:00 | Message # 23
World Builder
Pirate
György Ligeti.

You may know him from some of the songs in 2001: A Space Odyssey. That requiem- essentially the monolith's theme- is wonderful. But that and "Lux Aeterna" and "atmospheres" aren't the only things he's composed.

His longer compositions (such as the ones I mentioned) are what I admire. You have to just listen to them. Don't think about how it sounds. They take their time, but can be really relaxing and/or inspiring.

"Clocks and Clouds" is a favorite of mine. It's otherworldly, and when you immerse yourself in it, it's almost like you're on the verge of some other plane of existence where time passes at a slower rate. At first, the vocals in certain can even sound silly, but only at first- they are just another instrument.

Unfortunately, they are generally split in two on youtube, and switching to the next video disrupts the experience. If you have a way to listen to these without interruption, I'd do it that way instead. Anyway, to the point:

"Clocks and clouds"
Part 1
Part 2

"Melodien": Another favorite. So relaxing, so calm. It's like being on a long journey.
Part 1
Part 2

It's quite fitting to Space Engine, IMHO. Consider how quiet and vast space is; how within the cosmos things often happen very slowly, over a long, long time.

There are other similar compositions, I suppose I can post them later...

On a side note,
"Adventures" isn't something I particularly like. It worked at the end of 2001, but that was electronically altered from the original.

EDIT: I think I explained it wrong. They certainty aren't always slow, but they do take their time. There are some fast moments, and slow moments.

Edited by werdnaforever - Tuesday, 11.09.2012, 18:13

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 18.09.2012, 00:01 | Message # 24
Galaxy Architect
United States
Thanks to this thread I have a good number of artists I need to check out now. biggrin

Some artists (with samples linked) I enjoy while cruising the simulated universe include:
Aes Dana [Aftermath]
Bluetech [Cosmologic]
Carbon Based Lifeforms [Somewhere in Russia]
Craig Padilla [First Light]
Gustav Holst [The Planets] (of course!)
Hol Baumann [One Step Behind]
H.U.V.A. Network [Orientations Part 3]
Michael Stearns [Life in the Gravity Well]
Solar Fields [Discovering]
Sync24 [Replicant]

sonoDate: Thursday, 01.11.2012, 00:39 | Message # 25
Observer
United Kingdom
Resource - http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=134379
Free available - ambient space music hosted on shoutcast radio.
Definitely recommended whilst using space engine.

If link does not work. goto shoutcast.com select easy listening - look for "Drone Zone" Atmospheric ambient space music.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4Ghz 8GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD7970 3GB Vram OCZ 128gb Agility 3

Edited by sono - Thursday, 01.11.2012, 00:41

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 01.11.2012, 01:11 | Message # 26
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
sono, it's great that you have a cool music link, but why post it in addon resources? It cannot be used to make addons for SpaceEngine. It should have been posted here, to share it for listening to while using SpaceEngine.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DisasterpieceDate: Friday, 02.11.2012, 02:58 | Message # 27
World Builder
United States
I like to listen to creepy music.

I play teh spase engien

Edited by Disasterpiece - Monday, 19.11.2012, 01:26

Troest87Date: Friday, 02.11.2012, 09:44 | Message # 28
Observer
Denmark
Usually I listen to the soundtrack from the 1995 adventure game from LucasArts, The Dig, very nice composition from Michael Land

HarbingerDawnDate: Friday, 02.11.2012, 09:59 | Message # 29
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Troest87)
Usually I listen to the soundtrack from the 1995 adventure game from LucasArts, The Dig, very nice composition from Michael Land

Ah, The Dig! Good old Lucasarts smile The TIE Fighter music was simply masterful.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

sonoDate: Friday, 02.11.2012, 13:45 | Message # 30
Observer
United Kingdom
I found the space/ambient music on drone zone, on shoutcast fits space engine very well!
Its totally free on shoutcast website.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4Ghz 8GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD7970 3GB Vram OCZ 128gb Agility 3

Forum » SpaceEngine » General Discussions » Music I've enjoyed while using SpaceEngine
Search: