ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » Space Engine with ReShade.
Space Engine with ReShade.
MoonkeyDate: Friday, 16.01.2015, 23:54 | Message # 1
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United States
Since ReShade 3.0 is now out, it's time for a thread facelift soon!

ReShade is a graphical enhancement modification that is compatible with many games and applications that use OpenGL, or DirectX 8 - 11. It allows the use of many graphical postprocessing effects ranging from simple color changes, to SMAA, and depth based effects (Ambient Occlusion, and Depth of Field for example).

The Framework:

The ReShade framework consists of many graphics modifications combined into a central UI.
Packs included are:
SweetFX 2.0, MasterEffect Reborn, GemFX (Not all features of GemFX are present in the framework)

SweetFX many of us are familiar with, and it is used with many games to enhance the overall image with minimal FPS hit.

GemFX is lesser known but noteworthy, as it includes many more image enhancing options, like a greatly improved bloom effect, and ambient lighting. (Present in the framework)

MasterEffect is where the depth based rendering comes into play, with multiple ambient occlusion techniques (SSAO, HBAO, Raymarch AO, and SSGI (Screen Space Global Illumination)).
Along with Depth of field (Bokeh DOF, Ring DOF, 'Magic DOF' (Like Bokeh but less performance draining and quality can be configured to be 'higher quality' than Bokeh, or lower for performance), and GPDOF).
And in the latest framework, a new setting called RBM (Reflective bump map) was added which allows for screen space surface reflections (Basic reflections with configurable settings)

Warning: Not all games have an open depth buffer, and currently Unity Engine's (And many OpenGL applications) depth buffer is flipped when used by ReShade. For a list of compatible games, check here: Compatibility List

And now for pictures!

The Mediator:

Inengine pictures of Space Engine!:

How to install:
Go to ReShade.me
Download ReShade.
Extract files into a folder.
Start up the Mediator.
And follow the steps from there!

Enjoy!

Due to SpaceEngine 0.974 using a new depth buffer technique to remove some artifacts caused by a less accurate depth buffer mode, you will have to go to lines 71 and 72 inside the main-def.cfg file (located in the config folder) and change them back to the standard depth buffer for ReShade to be able to access the depth buffer again. (The new technique can't be scanned by ReShade)
Code
DepthBufferMode         0
ShipDrawMode            1

Edited by Moonkey - Thursday, 06.10.2016, 02:36

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 00:11 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Moonkey, please don't post pictures side-by-side, it disturbs the forum layout. And please read the forum rules if you haven't already.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

anonymousgamerDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 01:39 | Message # 3
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
United States
How did you get this to work without getting a black screen?

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

MoonkeyDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 03:06 | Message # 4
Space Tourist
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Moonkey, please don't post pictures side-by-side, it disturbs the forum layout. And please read the forum rules if you haven't already.

Yea, sorry. I read through the rules and was trying to find out how to edit a thread post but couldn't, so left it as-is. I'm guessing I didn't read close enough though, will do. Edit: And as I'm looking around, the button to edit the thread is actually right there...
Quote anonymousgamer ()
How did you get this to work without getting a black screen?

I don't know how you could? I installed it to SpaceEngine and selected OpenGL (if it didn't do it automatically already) and used Tiltshift, (the one that isn't the mastereffects bundle (Guru3D post that includes some of the shaders)) I'm working to get some of the effects in the MasterEffects bundle out of it and seeing if they work individually. Strangely, just using the whole bundle crashes the game.

And after getting those individual effects to work, I'll post them too! And add spoilers to keep it neat, and to not use up others' internet smile

Edited by Moonkey - Saturday, 17.01.2015, 03:19

anonymousgamerDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 04:21 | Message # 5
World Builder
United States
Quote Moonkey ()
I don't know how you could?

It works for me now but regardless of what I do, colors render negative.

EDIT: Disregard, updated drivers and now it works.

Desktop: FX-8350 4.0 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8 GB, 2 TB HDD, 24 inch 1920x1080 screen
Laptop: Core i5 480M 2.66 GHz (turbo 2.93), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6550m 1 GB, 640 GB HDD, 17.3 inch 1600x900 screen

MoonkeyDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 08:53 | Message # 6
Space Tourist
United States
Quote anonymousgamer ()
EDIT: Disregard, updated drivers and now it works.

Awesome! biggrin If you get any results with anything, it'd be nice if you got pictures. I'd love to see what others find and snap shots of.

ProteusDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 15:27 | Message # 7
Explorer
United States
The shaders seem to simply make it crash upon load for me, unfortunately. The reshade log says that it tries to look for opengl32.fx (as oppposed to opengl32.dll) and which apparently does not exist, making it spiral everything else into failing thereafter. O.o

Edited by Proteus - Saturday, 17.01.2015, 15:28

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 17:57 | Message # 8
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
I got this to work fairly well. SE doesn't like it and its really on a per planet per system basis due to changes in color. This also makes my GPU go a bit nuts, but the changes can be quite decent.

Default Jupiter

Jupiter with some adjustments in the master effects file

These were done with different settings and messing with values, I don't save my work so I won't upload anything.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

n0b0dyDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 18:41 | Message # 9
Explorer
Pirate
Quote Proteus ()
The shaders seem to simply make it crash upon load for me, unfortunately. The reshade log says that it tries to look for opengl32.fx (as oppposed to opengl32.dll) and which apparently does not exist, making it spiral everything else into failing thereafter. O.o

Current version of ReShade (0.12.0) does not officially support Space Engine.

Some people are lucky though and get some results.

Upcoming version (0.13.0) apparently has will have good compatibility.

Edited by n0b0dy - Saturday, 17.01.2015, 18:43

Joey_PenguinDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 18:49 | Message # 10
Pioneer
United States
cry Every time I think it couldn't get more gorgeous...

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

FastFourierTransformDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 19:07 | Message # 11
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Default Jupiter

Those Jupiter and Mars are extremely awesome and realistic!!!! SE 0.9.7.3 has to be like that (with intelligent settings or something)

RockoRocksDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 20:17 | Message # 12
World Builder
Belgium
Ok so I downloaded this and followed the installation instructions, which were pretty simple, though I can't really figure out how it works. How am I supposed to know if it installed properly? It did create all the files in my SE directory, and the shaders, but I don't see anything different when I launch SpaceEngine, but SpaceEngine does work properly without any crashes like normally.
Also, the file named 'OPENGL23.log' keeps ending in
Code
17/01/2015 20:23:50,640 | ERROR | Your graphics card does not seem to support OpenGL 4.3. Initialization failed.

Does that mean it just won't work at all for me? I don't think it does because my se.log tells my I have OpenGL 4.1, and at least 4.0 is required as mentioned in the readme so it should work. Do I just not get how you use this?

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

MoonkeyDate: Saturday, 17.01.2015, 23:31 | Message # 13
Space Tourist
United States
Quote RockoRocks ()
Does that mean it just won't work at all for me? I don't think it does because my se.log tells my I have OpenGL 4.1, and at least 4.0 is required as mentioned in the readme so it should work. Do I just not get how you use this?
No, it seems it won't work for you since it is OpenGL 4.3. I'm guessing the readme is outdated, or you have an effect that requires OpenGL 4.3. sad
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
I got this to work fairly well. SE doesn't like it and its really on a per planet per system basis due to changes in color. This also makes my GPU go a bit nuts, but the changes can be quite decent.

How did you get MasterEffects to work? I seem to get 9 compilation errors. Edit: Nevermind, I just opened reshade.fx, searched for _m00 through _m22 and deleted the code. Of course, I don't know if SSAO will work.

Edited by Moonkey - Sunday, 18.01.2015, 00:21

RockoRocksDate: Sunday, 18.01.2015, 10:31 | Message # 14
World Builder
Belgium
Quote Moonkey ()
or you have an effect that requires OpenGL 4.3.

I think it's that since I was testing the sweetFX package. I will try Reshade without any extra effects installed, I think MasterEffects may work, but I still don't really understand how to install or use it. I mean, do I have to copy the file ReShade64.dll or ReShade32.dll? How do I know if I did it right? Does a dialog pop up and what does it look like? I know this isn't very relevant to SpaceEngine itself but I'd really like to get this working myself too.

In fact, If I try to install ReShade using the installer exe included in the sweetfx package it says 'Succes!' on installing. Perhaps I need to update my graphics drivers?

I will be inactive on this forum for the time being. Might come back eventually

AMD AR-3305M APU w/ Radeon HD 1.90 GHz 6,00 GB RAM

Edited by RockoRocks - Sunday, 18.01.2015, 10:38

n0b0dyDate: Sunday, 18.01.2015, 11:41 | Message # 15
Explorer
Pirate
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
some adjustments in the master effects file

Ok I have searched and searched to no luck.
Where is that ''master effects'' file?

Also how do you ''activate'' diffrent reshade effects?

Can you change them in real time?

There is no instructions in Reshade after you install it (it sais ''success' as Rockorocks mentions above but what do you do after?)

Sorry for stupid questions but not everyone is a ''shader coder'' expert..

Forum » SpaceEngine » Space Journeys » Space Engine with ReShade.
Search: