ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Suggestions for the Name of the SE Game (What should the game based on SE be called?)
Suggestions for the Name of the SE Game
Destructor1701Date: Friday, 09.11.2012, 20:06 | Message # 16
Pioneer
Group: Users
Ireland
I think "Kosmos" is perfect.

It evokes both Sagan and Russia - two important aspects of (at the very least) the community that will surround this game, if not important aspects of the creation (I don't know how influenced Vladimir was by Sagan) of the game.

It's also as descriptive as you can get. The engine contains an incredibly complex (yet simplified) simulation of all of space and time.

SalvoDate: Friday, 09.11.2012, 20:22 | Message # 17
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote (Solaris)
CosmoSpace

Sounds good ok

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Friday, 09.11.2012, 20:22

mustafa2812Date: Friday, 09.11.2012, 20:39 | Message # 18
Space Pilot
United States
Btw nice to see you back mustafa2812

Thank!! I've been following everything closely, I've just been lurking much more than before smile

PC specs: Windows 7 64 bit. Intel Core i5-2400 quad-core (3.1GHz, 6MB Cache). 6GB DDR3-1333MGz SDRAM[2 DIMMs]. 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive. 3GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545.

xAmcerolDate: Friday, 09.11.2012, 21:50 | Message # 19
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Could always go with "SpaceEngine:The Game."

Lurking...

matty406Date: Friday, 09.11.2012, 22:39 | Message # 20
Astronaut
United Kingdom
Quote (Jafit)
Stargate Trek Wars: Battlestar Farscape
The Quest for Babylon 5

whatever the chosen name is, I'm renaming the exe to this.

mustafa2812Date: Friday, 09.11.2012, 23:19 | Message # 21
Space Pilot
United States
Stargate Trek Wars: Battlestar Farscape
The Quest for Babylon 5

whatever the chosen name is, I'm renaming the exe to this.

ok well then I'm naming the exe file: Deltascape Voyager, Spice Trader Pioneers: The Infinite Vastness X (The Prequel)

PC specs: Windows 7 64 bit. Intel Core i5-2400 quad-core (3.1GHz, 6MB Cache). 6GB DDR3-1333MGz SDRAM[2 DIMMs]. 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive. 3GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 545.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 07:38 | Message # 22
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
I don't like the name Aurora. Parallax is better, but it doesn't seem relevant to the game. Cosmos, Kosmos, Space, and derivations thereof seem inadequate in my opinion.

Concerning the criticism of using SpaceEngine in the name, I would like to point out that SpaceEngine is not just the name of the engine, but also the name of the planetarium software itself. Seeing as how the game would be based upon that software, would be an extension of that software, having the name be an extension of SpaceEngine would be appropriate, though not necessary.

I rather like the name Final Frontier, but thanks to Star Trek that would be perceived as cheesy.

Some notable suggestions made via Facebook include Glorious Dawn, Far Frontiers, and Cosmic Ocean.

My personal suggestion is SpaceEngine: Uncharted Worlds

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 13:02 | Message # 23
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
So I left the name "SpaceEngine". Initially this name was nothing more than a "graphics engine to render space". Eight years ago I only thought for a few minutes which name to choose for the project directory and main file name. My imagination left me and I named it just "SpaceEngine", looking to rename it later. Few years after I realize that "SpaceEngine" can be also read as "motor for space flight", so this name has a dual meanaing. it is not bad to make a game's name based on a technology without which the game would be impossible (such as "Mass Effect").

Anyway, "SpaceEngine" would not be the only game based on the SE Engine. I plan to make a second game - single player with varying time strategy about colonization and terraforming of the Solar System. It needs a good name too, which obviously cannot be "SpaceEngine".

Antza2Date: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 13:11 | Message # 24
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
"The Final Frontier"? (Might have been taken already)

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 13:37 | Message # 25
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Antza2)
"The Final Frontier"? (Might have been taken already)

Antza2, read my last post smile

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 13:56 | Message # 26
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
"SpaceEngine" can be read as "motor for space flight", so this name has a dual sense.

I was thinking that too which is what I assumed you meant with SpaceEngine: "name".

Quote (SpaceEngineer)
single player with varying time strategy about colonization and terraforming of the Solar System. It needs a good name too, which obviously cannot be "SpaceEngine".

That might be difficult to think of. I suspect you would want it to be catchy and easily remembered while hinting at what the game is about. wacko

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Antza2Date: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 14:31 | Message # 27
World Builder
Finland
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Antza2, read my last post

*Facepalm* I need to start reading before posting.
But yeah. Kosmos is probably the best suggestion i have heard so far.

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

Edited by Antza2 - Saturday, 10.11.2012, 14:32

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 14:37 | Message # 28
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
My suggestion would probably be something along the lines of Galactic Frontiers.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

curiousepicDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 15:49 | Message # 29
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
United States
I like "Parallax". It could also be the informal name of the FTL drive, for the parallax of the stars at high speeds.

My ideal preferences for visual design of the mothership and technology in SE
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

H2BroDate: Saturday, 10.11.2012, 16:35 | Message # 30
Astronaut
Norway
I like Kosmos.

But the game is more than just space. There is an element of wandering, discovery, and drifting through emptiness, impossible to find one's way back home.

For that reason, Odyssey might be a good word to include.

A Space Odyssey is of course taken. Perhaps Kosmos Odyssey, or a portmanteau like KosmOdyssey. Kosmic Odyssey. Cosmic Odyssey. Odyssey of the Kosmos. etc.

Ether is another good word to play around with. Kosmos: Into the Ether. Kosmos: Beyond ethereal.

Kosmos is generally a good bet because it permits many new words to form. Mapmaking/discovery = Kosmography, trading = Kosmonomics, shipbuilding = Kosmonautics, star charts = Kosmograms, and etc.

But it might not appeal to general audiences. I bet they would go for something like Starshine, Infinite Void, or Galactic Starquest: Spacebattles of the luminiferous ether.

Or go for something Latin. Its exploration, like Spacia Nova

i3 370M 2.3Ghz ATI Radeon 5650 8GB DDR3 Win 7 (runs SE suprisingly well for a laptop!)

Edited by H2Bro - Saturday, 10.11.2012, 16:37

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » Suggestions for the Name of the SE Game (What should the game based on SE be called?)
Search: