ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Troubleshooting and Solutions » Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0
Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0
SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 30.07.2016, 13:34 | Message # 1
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Please post here all of your reports about bugs or crashes in SpaceEngine. Before you post any bugs, please follow these steps:

• First of all, make sure you updated your video card drivers. This may solve 99% of all issues.
  • Read the Fixing common issues section below. It is possible that your problem can be solved there.
  • Read the List of known issues section below and make sure that your bugs are not on in it. You can use your browser's word finder to help search the list.
  • If the bug is not on the list then please post it in this thread. Attach to your message a screenshot (if possible) and a log file (it's called the se.log and is located in the SpaceEngine/system/ directory). Only the log file will help us to understand your problem and find a solution!

Fixing graphics card-specific issues

If you do not know which graphics card (chip) do you have, open the system/se.log file in the text editor and read the Vendor information in the beginning:

INITIALIZING OPENGL
    [MT] Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Then look for a solution for you:

Nvidia: Major lag spikes

Intel HD: Glitchy landscape and textures on planets

Intel HD: Red clouds on Earth

Intel HD: Black screen

Fixing common issues

1) Obsolete or incompatible drivers

2) Weak system

3) System with hybrid graphics (NVidia/ATI + Intel HD)

4) Artifacts on procedural planets

5) Frequent crashing while generating planetary surface

6) Blurry textures on Solar system planets

7) Problems with very high resolution displays

List of known issues

Green items have been fixed for the next release

Not real bugs, but effects caused by limitations in the engine:

Real bugs:

•  
    MosfetDate: Sunday, 06.11.2016, 23:17 | Message # 301
    World Builder
    Group: Users
    Italy
    pja1701, 3D water movement stops when the time is paused, press spacebar to check if it's the case.
    Although, I've just installed those graphic drivers and 3d water is freezing after less than a minute for me too.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Douglas N. Adams
    My mods
    Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

HornblowerDate: Monday, 07.11.2016, 05:05 | Message # 302
    World Builder
    United States
    Anyone else getting a weird grid-like pattern on the surface of red supergiants?

Attachments: 1500488.jpg (189.6 Kb)

Edited by Hornblower - Monday, 07.11.2016, 05:06

pja1701Date: Monday, 07.11.2016, 17:51 | Message # 303
    Observer
    Group: Newbies
    Netherlands
    Quote Mosfet ()
    pja1701, 3D water movement stops when the time is paused, press spacebar to check if it's the case.
    Although, I've just installed those graphic drivers and 3d water is freezing after less than a minute for me too.

Hi Mosfet,
    Thanks for the response!

I've noticed that when I start SE up now, the time is set to some huge number of years in the future. Seems to always be: 4783648.12.30 19h15m
    If I go to a planet with water, and look at the surface, then I see the ripples frozen, even if time is not paused. But if I reset the time to "now", then I see the ripples animated properly.

I can see that when SpaceEngine crashes on exit, it doesn't write my user config file properly, so it's starting up in some strange configuration e.g. it always starts with time set to this huge number, and with the camera located at the center of the Sun.

I've tried running SE with Administrator rights, but that doesn't seem to help - it runs OK, but always crashes when I exit.

MosfetDate: Monday, 07.11.2016, 19:30 | Message # 304
    World Builder
    Italy
    pja1701, try renaming save-user.cfg as save-user.old. This way it will be created again, see if it crashes again.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Douglas N. Adams
    My mods
    Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

pja1701Date: Tuesday, 08.11.2016, 17:05 | Message # 305
    Observer
    Netherlands
    Mosfet, that did the trick! Thanks very much! I could see the old save-user.cfg was full of binary zeroes.

HornblowerDate: Saturday, 12.11.2016, 16:16 | Message # 306
    World Builder
    United States
    This is weird...
    Deserts orbiting black holes (where the black hole is the main star in the system and doesn't have an accretion disk) are completely black even if I turn up the ambient light all the way. Other types of planets work fine though

Addition----------------------
    Better image:

Attachments: 9481260.jpg (282.4 Kb) · 1451164.jpg (350.4 Kb)

Edited by Hornblower - Saturday, 12.11.2016, 16:39

HornblowerDate: Sunday, 13.11.2016, 05:03 | Message # 307
    World Builder
    United States
    WOAH! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY GAME!?

Attachments: 4335600.jpg (256.3 Kb) · 2824657.jpg (448.3 Kb)

ahoopDate: Sunday, 13.11.2016, 05:39 | Message # 308
    Observer
    United States
    When I was creating my planet in this SC file I had no problems until I finished it and opened up SpaceEngine. The planet wasn't there anymore. I also have a small problem with how messy the file looks and wonder if that's part of the problem; I deleted a couple tab spaces and might have messed up the code, I don't know. $IMAGE1$

Samsung Notebook (Laptop)
    Proc: AMD A8-3530MX APU. VC: AMD Radeon HD 6620G. RAM: 8 GB. OS: Windows 10.

Custom Gaming PC (Desktop)
    Proc: Intel Core i7-4790K CPU. VC: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960. RAM: 16 GB. OS: Windows 10.

Edited by ahoop - Wednesday, 23.11.2016, 22:45

JackDoleDate: Sunday, 13.11.2016, 12:50 | Message # 309
    Star Engineer
    Group: Local Moderators
    Germany
    ahoop,
    You should not use 'Notepad' to edit such scripts.

At the end of each line are one or two characters that indicate the end of the line. These characters are usually invisible.

If there is only one character, the linefeed does not work correctly in Notepad.

Scripts that have been exported with SpaceEngine have only one character at the end.

'Notepad ++' is an editor which is well suited for these scripts.
    There you can also make the line ends visible.

Attachments: 7639757.jpg (74.3 Kb) · 8331874.jpg (72.9 Kb)

Don't forget to look here.

Edited by JackDole - Sunday, 13.11.2016, 12:51

techathyDate: Sunday, 13.11.2016, 12:56 | Message # 310
    Observer
    United Kingdom
    Every now and again when trying to landing on a planet (shift+G or manually) the camera suddenly jumps to the surface of the system star & the planet is rendered in a different place in its orbit compared to where SE thinks it is. Sometimes it's very close other times its much further away. To resolve the issue you travel to another galaxy and back to the system.

This is an example:

For reference I'm using a NUC5i7RYH (mobile i7-5557U/Intel Iris 6100) with 16GB ram

Attachments: 8528607.jpg (190.8 Kb)

ahoopDate: Sunday, 13.11.2016, 16:07 | Message # 311
    Observer
    United States
    JackDole, thanks, I found two lines that were backspaced to the previous line, and the two end scripts are still there. I was going to say that it kept saving to normal Notepad but I just fixed that. But the planet's still missing. And I'm an idiot.
    Attachments: Char.sc (4.9 Kb)

Proc: Intel Core i7-4790K CPU. VC: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960. RAM: 16 GB. OS: Windows 10.

Edited by ahoop - Sunday, 13.11.2016, 21:36

JackDoleDate: Sunday, 13.11.2016, 18:41 | Message # 312
    Star Engineer
    Germany
    ahoop,
    you do not have to take pictures of the script.
    You can also attach the script.

Wicker1MDate: Sunday, 13.11.2016, 20:15 | Message # 313
    Astronaut
    United States
    Quote Hornblower ()

Deserts orbiting black holes (where the black hole is the main star in the system and doesn't have an accretion disk) are completely black even if I turn up the ambient light all the way. Other types of planets work fine though

That is odd. One would think that the deserts would show up the same way as the other planets.

JackDoleDate: Monday, 14.11.2016, 11:24 | Message # 314
    Star Engineer
    Germany
    ahoop,
    I can not find any mistakes in your script. For me it works.

Do you have the script in the right folder?

For SE 0.980, it belongs in the folder 'addons\catalogs\planets'.

The subfolders 'catalogs' and 'planets' must be created if they do not exist.

The mass of your planet is a bit high. As a result, the planet has 3 times the earth's gravity. Is that on purpose?
    In older SE versions a planet with this mass would have become an 'IceGiant'.)

If you still have problems, post the 'se.log'. You can find this file in the system folder of SpaceEngine.

Attachments: 4956692.jpg (414.0 Kb)

Edited by JackDole - Monday, 14.11.2016, 11:28

ahoopDate: Monday, 14.11.2016, 23:02 | Message # 315
    Observer
    United States
    Quote JackDole ()
    The mass of your planet is a bit high. As a result, the planet has 3 times the earth's gravity. Is that on purpose?
    In older SE versions a planet with this mass would have become an 'IceGiant'.)

I forgot how I came up with that number, but I needed a planet with a strong gravity so humans would have trouble walking without a machine. I've now divided the mass by half. I assume I am supposed to see 'addons/catalogs/planets/Char' in the se.log.

Attachments: 3924653.log (44.9 Kb)

Edited by ahoop - Monday, 14.11.2016, 23:02

Forum » SpaceEngine » Troubleshooting and Solutions » Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0
    Search: