ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Space Stuff Collection (Post here any random space stuff you want to share)
Space Stuff Collection
HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 29.09.2012, 00:28 | Message # 1
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
My apologies to DoctorOfSpace and Solaris for taking so long to make this thread, I know I said I'd do it ages ago.

This thread is for posting just any random space-related stuff you feel like sharing and doesn't belong in another thread, and/or for discussing your own collection of space related media that has been accumulating on your hard drives and bookshelves smile

I'd like to open the thread with this amazing video that Aerospacefag posted on the Russian forum that shows asteroid discoveries from 1980 to 2012. The time lapse map shows all objects discovered in their approximately correct positions, and new objects are added to populate the map at the time of their discovery. The patterns of discovery of these objects are quite fascinating, and give some great insights into the process of observational astronomy and asteroid hunting, as well as into the recent history of asteroid discovery. And it's just a really cool looking video cool

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

WatsisnameDate: Saturday, 29.09.2012, 01:16 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Great video! Incredible how rapidly the discoveries are coming now. And then there's exoplanets which are coming in at roughly one a day it seems like. cool

I think any discussion of astronomy-themed videos MUST contain The Powers of 10, which is an absolute classic. happy There's also a more recent and similarly-themed video made by the American Museum of Natural History, which is great as well.

There's also tons of images I've accumulated over the years, of which I think this image is a real nice one. Very well designed and aesthetically pleasing in my opinion, and really shows how many amazing feats humans have accomplished with space travel and exploration.

SolarisDate: Saturday, 29.09.2012, 01:30 | Message # 3
World Builder
France
I'm glad to see this thread ! happy
Wow , cool image Watsisname, also I've never heard about the The Powers of 10 video until now... thanks!
I'll start with few fun videos then post pics later

Grounded ( Fullscreen HD ! )

Space Station Reboost

Endeavour's External Tank Falls Away

Space Shuttle Launch: Viewed From an Airplane

Nothing special here but I love watching the propulsions flames being affect by the pressure (is it?) try the thumbnail.
same for this vid

A sweet timelapse animation of Jupiter's cloud (That would be so cool to see that in SE!)

And one video of the Don Pettit's serie the Science off the Sphere, really cool and funny guy.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 29.09.2012, 01:51 | Message # 4
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Watsisname)
There's also tons of images I've accumulated over the years, of which I think this image is a real nice one

Great image! The information is a little out of date (amazing how much changes in 3 years!) but the message is undiminished.

Quote (Solaris)
Space Station Reboost

I was just thinking two days ago about how cool it would be to do this during a reboost or debris avoidance maneuver! I never knew that the crew had done it themselves and recorded a video of it! Great vid Solaris!

Quote (Solaris)
And one video of the Don Pettit's serie the Science off the Sphere, really cool and funny guy.

I loved his Science off the Sphere videos, but Don Pettit really annoys me, maybe it's just his voice I don't know, but whatever it is listening to him makes me cringe sad

Quote (Solaris)
Nothing special here but I love watching the propulsions flames being affect by the pressure

One of the most beautiful onboard videos I've ever seen is this video of an Ariane 5 launch, especially later in the flight:

There used to be a user on Youtube called 40390576 who had uploaded some amazing rocket videos, but unfortunately the account is closed sad I downloaded some of them to my hard drive though, so perhaps I can put them up somewhere

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Saturday, 29.09.2012, 01:57

SolarisDate: Saturday, 29.09.2012, 02:48 | Message # 5
World Builder
France
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I was just thinking two days ago about how cool it would be to do this during a reboost or debris avoidance maneuver! I never knew that the crew had done it themselves and recorded a video of it! Great vid Solaris!
Hehe.. they seems to have so much fun.. I'm so jalous.
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
One of the most beautiful onboard videos I've ever seen is this video of an Ariane 5 launch, especially later in the flight:
Wow, indeed. I loved the clouds shadows, the view of the earth and of course the final separation ! thanks for sharing!
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I downloaded some of them to my hard drive though, so perhaps I can put them up somewhere
When you will have time, I'm sure some of us would be glad to see them cool

These videos shows the evolution over time of jets expelled from a newborn star in the constellation of Orion/southern constellation of Vela

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 29.09.2012, 04:18 | Message # 6
Cosmic Curator
United States
Here is a link to a zip file with some of the rocket vids I mentioned (mostly by that same user). They are in FLV format, so you'll need something like Media Player Classic to view them (VLC and Real player probably work too, buy why would you use them!? wink )
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71....tei.zip

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Sunday, 26.05.2013, 07:20

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 29.09.2012, 04:44 | Message # 7
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
I wish I could remember what I was going to share in this thread. sad

Guess I will share this

Awesome deep field image from NASA.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

SolarisDate: Saturday, 29.09.2012, 19:06 | Message # 8
World Builder
France
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Here is a link to a zip file with some of the rocket vids I mentioned

Wow I did not expect rocket explosions, It have litteraly blow my mind !
First time I watch these (except fragments of one or two), quality vids !
Saturn SA-6 onboard, 1964 and Titan II staging onboard are incredible..
Thanks for sharing!

Since DoctorOfSpace have posted this new wonderful deepfield pic, I add this one with some infos :

Attachments: 4549281.jpg (566.2 Kb)

H2BroDate: Saturday, 06.10.2012, 11:47 | Message # 9
Astronaut
Group: Users
Norway
Thought I would start off a place for people to post their favorite astronomy photos. I have quite a few, but to avoid overwhelming the thread I thought I would link to a great slideshow to start off.

http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/Slideshow.html

click the expand button near bottom corner, very enjoyable to browse through.

Also, if you folks didn't know already, http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html has amazing pics daily.

i3 370M 2.3Ghz ATI Radeon 5650 8GB DDR3 Win 7 (runs SE suprisingly well for a laptop!)

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 06.10.2012, 14:22 | Message # 10
Cosmic Curator
United States
H2Bro, miscellaneous astronomy photos should go in this thread.

My SE mods and addons

H2BroDate: Saturday, 06.10.2012, 14:28 | Message # 11
Astronaut
Norway
rightio, heres a nice one.

$IMAGE1$

I really don't get the process for attaching images, probably because I'm so n00b. anyone mind running me through it?

i3 370M 2.3Ghz ATI Radeon 5650 8GB DDR3 Win 7 (runs SE suprisingly well for a laptop!)

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 06.10.2012, 15:22 | Message # 12
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (H2Bro)
I really don't get the process for attaching images, probably because I'm so n00b. anyone mind running me through it?

If it's an image on the internet, just get its URL and use the "img" code button to imbed the image (probably best not to do this with very large images; >1 MB).

If you want to upload an image, you need to do it as an attachment, and its file size must be less than 600 kB. Then use the code generated by the upload box (should say something like $IMAGE1$) to imbed it in your post.

Also, please refrain from making multiple-posts. If you have something to add right after you make one post, just edit your previous post.

My SE mods and addons

AerospacefagDate: Saturday, 06.10.2012, 22:50 | Message # 13
Pioneer
Russian Federation
Well, in solidarity to HarbingerDawn's idea, I'll contribute some videos from Roskosmos channel on YT.

And also, can you remember this one? What was your reaction back then?

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 06.10.2012, 23:26 | Message # 14
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Aerospacefag)
And also, can you remember this one? What was your reaction back then?

I remember. And I remember thinking that all the people who cried "ALIENS!" were being just as silly as usual. This was not the only time that a test of that ICBM produced such a display, so many wonder if it was intentional rather than a malfunction. Regardless, it certainly is a magnificent and awesome sight.

Great video of the Soyuz launching into the sunrise! The lighting on the exhaust plume is amazing!

The video with that marmot was just hilarious biggrin

My SE mods and addons

SolarisDate: Sunday, 07.10.2012, 01:19 | Message # 15
World Builder
France
Aerospacefag, that third video is splendid..

Few views of Mercury by Messenger :

From Terminator to Limb (January 11, 2012)

Debussy (March 21, 2012)

Blue Monday (July 05, 2011)

Amaral (February 04, 2012)

Attachments: 3483268.jpg (126.6 Kb) · 1728610.jpg (242.3 Kb) · 0526656.jpg (326.0 Kb)

Forum » SpaceEngine » Off-topic Discussions » Space Stuff Collection (Post here any random space stuff you want to share)
Search: