ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Sky and plant color if Earth orbited other types of stars
Sky and plant color if Earth orbited other types of stars
DiakonovDate: Friday, 14.10.2016, 14:36 | Message # 1
Astronaut
Group: Users
Brazil
How would be the color of the sky and plants on Earth if it orbited other types of stars? I'll show what I found using Space Engine. I also lowered a bit the ocean level on Earth.

Q (pulsar):

O5V stars:

B5V stars:

A5V stars:

F5V stars:

G5V stars:

K5V stars:

M0V stars:

M5V stars:

M9V stars:

L5V brown dwarfs:

T5V brown dwarfs:

Y5V brown dwarfs:

In some M stars the sky is still blue, but more pale. Below that type, the sky start to turn green, later yellow and finally red. The Earth sky in a M5V star is greenish. If Earth orbited around brown dwarfs, the day would really look very dark, so you can see night lights even in the dayside. As for the vegetation, looks like plants would use more infrared if illuminated by cooler stars. If Earth orbited the coolest stars, plants would be unable to produce oxygen, but would use infrared to produce some other gas (maybe NO2 or H2?)

Well, I believe this may be useful to understand the color of skies on planets orbiting other types of stars.

Edited by Diakonov - Friday, 14.10.2016, 14:37

steeljaw354Date: Friday, 14.10.2016, 21:32 | Message # 2
World Builder
Group: Users
Pirate
SC Files please?

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Sky and plant color if Earth orbited other types of stars
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: