ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Good singular-subject rendering programs
Good singular-subject rendering programs
AlekDate: Saturday, 08.10.2016, 04:37 | Message # 1
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Are there any good programs to make your own space objects, similarly to Space Engine but more optimized for one thing or another and having more controllable options or better visuals?

For example, for nebulae, is there anything better than this: https://29a.ch/sandbox/2011/neonflames/# and easier to use than the skybox maker "Spacescape"?

Or any alternatives for making/rendering planets than Terragen or Grand Designer?

I don't know if this should go in another thread but I looked a bit for something similar and didn't find anything, but if there is feel free to merge it, and I figured it wouldn't go in the "Science and Astronomy Questions" since this is more about the software.

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

FastFourierTransformDate: Saturday, 08.10.2016, 11:19 | Message # 2
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote Alek ()
is there anything better than this

Well that renderer is quite beautifull but I don't think it has any kind of realism at all. Rendering nebulaes is surelly a difficoult task.

Quote Alek ()
Or any alternatives for making/rendering planets than Terragen or Grand Designer?

Outerra is quite fantastic in rendering planets from close to the surface views. Check this

As SpaceEngineer said:
Outerra is not a procedural generated planet. It uses NASA's 90m SRTM data (landscape data with 90 meters resolution), and some noise functions to generate details. In SE I will use such a technique too for Earth, Mars and other real planets. I'm surprised why Cameni doesn't use NASA's color textures (Blue Marble Next Generation) to texture upper LODs of the planet. From high altitude and space it looks strange.

So SE is going to be waaay better than Outerra in the end (if there is an end).

And for the most amazing renders of Mars you have to check this channel. Here you have a demo for a VR trip over the high resolution data of MRO. It's amazing

AlekDate: Saturday, 08.10.2016, 19:04 | Message # 3
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Quote FastFourierTransform ()
Well that renderer is quite beautifull but I don't think it has any kind of realism at all

Exactly my thoughts. I've found some posts on various sites of people saying thst they've figured out a way to make realistic rebulae in Blender but all of the posts are old and none give any sort of tutorial or code to actually do this yourself...I'd like for them to be 3d and mostly procedural, and it seems like fractals could be a good means of doing this, but I haven't found anything.

Quote FastFourierTransform ()
Outerra is quite fantastic in rendering planets from close to the surface views

I've seen Outterra and it looks cool, though It Is more orientated to durace views and, I think, Is only good for earthlike planets and I'm not even sure If you can actually customize planets with that, but I'm looking for something more like Grand Designer where you are actually creating the planet pretty much from scratch, but I want something with more control over fine details without it being completely necessary (mostly procedural but can have
areas that are more hand-crafted)

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Good singular-subject rendering programs
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: