ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Your Science Theories (How do you think the universe/multiverse/omniverse works?)
Your Science Theories
WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 22:30 | Message # 31
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote Salvo ()
That creates the spacetime, but it's just space and time combined in a single mathematical model. It still doesn't see time as spatial dimension, just mathematically. (I guess?)

This is basically right. smile In space-time, the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time are combined into a four-dimensional structure. But this structure has a different geometry, and is not like four dimensions of space at all.

In 4D Euclidean space, distances between points can be worked out by a simple extension of the Pythagorean theorem. You know that in 2D, the (squared) distance between points is r2 = x2 + y2. This also works in 1D as r2 = x2... or just r=x. In 3D, r2 = x2 + y2 + z2. You see the pattern. In 4D, it's r2 = x2 + y2 + z2 + w2.

Space-time throws an odd wrench in this, by switching one of the signs. Instead of all of these terms being added together, the one for the time dimension is subtracted. This has some bizarre consequences, and is responsible for all the weirdness in special relativity.

JackDoleDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 17:36 | Message # 32
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
I believe in a many-worlds theory.

But I do not believe that our world line divides into new world lines at every event, but that the unsuccessful world lines disappear.
I think the Big Bang has created an infinite number of worlds.

So I do not believe that in the experiment with Schröding's cat two world lines are created - one in which the cat lives, another one in which the cat is dead - but that two world lines existed before. One in which the cat would survive, one in which the cat would die.

(Perhaps another one in which Schrödinger himself is locked in the box)

When the decision is made, the world line disappears, which has not become 'true'.

And one day there will be only two world lines: one in which the Universe ends in a 'Big Rip' and one in which the Universe ends in a 'Big Freeze'.

If the decision for the Big Freeze falls, there will only be one world line for a very long time. For about 10150 to 101000 years.
Then there will be no world line.
(Okay, of course this is just theory.)

I think one proof of this many-worlds theory is the double-slit experiment. As a non-physicist, I can of course not explain this in more detail.

Don't forget to look here.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 17:51 | Message # 33
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote JackDole ()

I think other universes exist in some sense, but not in the "outside of ours". Considering how higher dimensions seem to present themselves it would seem like all those extra realities are probably stacked right up against ours.

I wouldn't call this my own scientific theory but it is my personal view.

I think the universe most likely repeats itself forever. To poorly paraphrase Sean Carroll, all points in space and all points in time exist, the future is just as real as the past and we are just an observer carried along for the ride. Our future is determined, all our choices are made before we make them, and in the far future when the universe reaches close to absolute zero macro scale quantum events lead to a rebooting of the universe and everything just begins again. The universe is a closed loop with no beginning and no end.

We're trapped and doomed to relive the same life forever, always thinking it is the first time through.

The ending to K-PAX without the recollapsing

Quote Rust Cohle
In eternity, where there is no time, nothing can grow. Nothing can become. Nothing changes. So death created time to grow the things that it would kill... and you are reborn but into the same life that you've always been born into. I mean, how many times have we had this conversation, detectives? Well, who knows? When you can't remember your lives, you can't change your lives, and that is the terrible and the secret fate of all life. You're trapped... like a nightmare you keep waking up into.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

JackDoleDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 18:25 | Message # 34
Star Engineer
Germany
There might be such an endless repetition of the universe, but I do not think with exactly the same events. That would mean, in my opinion, that the quantum theory is false.

My many-worlds theory unfortunately means that there is no world line in which I have assumed the role of Bill Gates.
But in an endlessly repetitive universe with different events, there would certainly be a version in which I take the role of Bill Gates.
Or Elon Musk. biggrin cool

Edited by JackDole - Thursday, 06.10.2016, 18:45

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 19:01 | Message # 35
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote JackDole ()
That would mean, in my opinion, that the quantum theory is false.

Or misunderstood. Humanity doesn't quite have a grand theory of everything.

Quote JackDole ()
But in an endlessly repetitive universe with different events, there would certainly be a version in which I take the role of Bill Gates.
Or Elon Musk.

Those would not be you though. Just someone who happens to be identical to you in every way or at least genetically but not actually you.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HornblowerDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 19:35 | Message # 36
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Quote JackDole ()

But I do not believe that our world line divides into new world lines at every event, but that the unsuccessful world lines disappear.
I think the Big Bang has created an infinite number of worlds.

What you're describing is the Copenhagen interpretation

JackDoleDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 19:41 | Message # 37
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
Those would not be you though.

Of course not.
There is also this theory that the universe is infinite, and there are therefore infinitely many exact copies of our section of the universe. With infinite copies of mine. Of course they would not be me.
And, of course, infinitely many incomplete copies of our section. In which my copies have a different way of life.

However, I do not believe in this theory. I do not believe in a spatial infinity. At best, an infinity of space-time. That would be the endless repetition of the universe.

steeljaw354Date: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 19:43 | Message # 38
World Builder
Pirate
JackDole There is bound to be differences as well. Good is evil and evil is good, I would love to see the universe that way, well for humans only

JackDoleDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 20:03 | Message # 39
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote Hornblower ()
What you're describing is the Copenhagen interpretation

I see it as a reversal of the normal 'Many-worlds interpretation'.

steeljaw354Date: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 20:10 | Message # 40
World Builder
Pirate
Quote JackDole ()
I see it as a reversal of the normal 'Many-worlds interpretation'.

I always loved this theory, almost every day after my work is done I sit and think about what is possible

JackDoleDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 20:28 | Message # 41
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote steeljaw354 ()
There is bound to be differences as well. Good is evil and evil is good, I would love to see the universe that way, well for humans only

Good and evil are not scientific terms.
The universe knows no good or evil. Good and evil are purely human inventions.
The universe only knows: eat or be eaten.
Whoever is eaten will find this evil. Who eats, will find this good!

A supernova or a gamma-flash can theoretically erase whole civilizations. And maybe this has happened often. Is that evil?

The dinosaurs probably thought the comet impact was something very evil.

For us it was good, because otherwise it would not give us and the dinosaurs would still dominate the earth. Perhaps they would better deal with the earth.

We humans know good and evil.
They are concepts that enable us to live together, without constantly trying to kill each other.
Admittedly, this does not work so well.

Edited by JackDole - Thursday, 06.10.2016, 20:53

steeljaw354Date: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 20:35 | Message # 42
World Builder
Pirate
JackDole

I'd say the Dinosaurs could have evolved and left the planet all together, left the solar system and left no trace before the comet hit.

JackDoleDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 20:49 | Message # 43
Star Engineer
Germany
Quote steeljaw354 ()
I'd say the Dinosaurs could have evolved and left the planet all together, left the solar system and left no trace before the comet hit.

That would be good. dry
I also hope that extraterrestrials have saved some Neanderthals before they were exterminated by the Homo sapiens.

WatsisnameDate: Thursday, 06.10.2016, 23:15 | Message # 44
Galaxy Architect
United States
Quote JackDole ()
I think one proof of this many-worlds theory is the double-slit experiment.

You have it a bit backwards. smile

Many-worlds is an interpretation of the behavior of the wave function in the double slit experiment (and other experiments). But there are many interpretations, all of which are consistent with and explain the results of experiment. So no experiment is yet proof of any interpretation.

The differences between interpretations is in describing how the wave function works -- what is physically happening when we make a measurement. Interpretations may vary as to whether the wave function is physical or metaphysical, or whether reality is based on local hidden variables but non-locality (good for determinism but strange for relativity), locality with no hidden variables (bad for determinism), or the rejection of the ability of the experimenter to choose to make measurements which are independent of the quantum states in the wave function (bad for free will).

hunterbickel2003Date: Saturday, 07.01.2017, 18:52 | Message # 45
Astronaut
Pirate
i have a theory. its about space travel in the future

well since light speed is impossible and still it would take years to get to a star anyway. instead of just going faster, why dont we take shortcut? PRESENTING, THE WORMHOLE TRAVEL THEORY. Maybe 1 day in the future, we learned how wormholes were made. Years after that, we created technology that has the capabilities of a wormholes. Allowing the ship and crew to travel through space and time in mere seconds to go where they want. Well this theory would work if wormholes were real.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Your Science Theories (How do you think the universe/multiverse/omniverse works?)
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Search: