ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Your Science Theories (How do you think the universe/multiverse/omniverse works?)
Your Science Theories
HornblowerDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:14 | Message # 16
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Watsisname, exactly. And not to mention another awesome 4D property; you would be able to see every spot on a 3D surface plane umm... region. This reminds me, we have up down left right forward and backward in our 3D universe, what would the names for the next two be? Same with width, height, length. Here's something for everyone to speculate on and create their own theories for: How would the double slit experiment work in 4D where there are 4D slits creating an interference pattern on a 3D surface plane umm... region?

spacerDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:32 | Message # 17
Star Engineer
Israel
i think there are no diractions in our universe. 4D is very interesting, imagine a 2D creatures being told about 3D world and they dont believe that and they think that thier world is the whole. there is a book about that but cant remember the name.
also Klein Bottle is cool 4D thing

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

Edited by spacer - Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:33

HornblowerDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:34 | Message # 18
World Builder
United States
Quote spacer ()
there is a book about that but cant remember the name.

Flatland. Someone made it into a movie! Check it out!

Edited by Hornblower - Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 21:37

WatsisnameDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 23:40 | Message # 19
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
United States
Quote Hornblower ()
This reminds me, we have up down left right forward and backward in our 3D universe, what would the names for the next two be? Same with width, height, length.

I propose warp and weft, from terms in weaving. smile

Quote Hornblower ()
Here's something for everyone to speculate on and create their own theories for: How would the double slit experiment work in 4D where there are 4D slits creating an interference pattern on a 3D surface plane umm... region?

I think thinking about it too much hurts my brain. wacko

spacerDate: Tuesday, 04.10.2016, 23:50 | Message # 20
Star Engineer
Israel
i am trying to think about 4D diractions but my brain explode.
all the things going in my mind are actually 3D stuff!

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

HornblowerDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 00:00 | Message # 21
World Builder
United States
To help, here's what a hypercube looks like as it passes through a 3D space
Slices of hypercubes

WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 01:49 | Message # 22
Galaxy Architect
United States
There is something special about the following four points in 4D Euclidean space:

Can anyone figure out what it is that is special about them? (There are other points we could choose which are special in the same way, but these are the ones I came up with and tried to make not obvious). smile

HornblowerDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 02:08 | Message # 23
World Builder
United States
I think they form an angled square.

WatsisnameDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 05:15 | Message # 24
Galaxy Architect
United States
Not quite, but they share a similar property to a square, namely its construction from right angles.

In this case, if you consider line segments from the origin to each of these four points, then it turns out they will all be at right angles to one another. Think about that for a moment -- four angles, all of which are 90° apart. There's something you never see in 3D space. smile

We can also rotate the points about the origin and have them all land along the 4D coordinate axes (or rotate the coordinate axes to line up with the points). One of them is "forward", another "right". A third "up", and the fourth in a completely different direction we can't possibly visualize or point to. Yet the math describes it without a problem. That's pretty neat, I think.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 06:15 | Message # 25
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
This reminds me of the method I was taught to visualize gravitational wells. Think of the classic model, the 2D surface, then take that curve and apply it to all points around the sphere, now invert on itself. The last step always gets me wacko

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

AlekDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 06:22 | Message # 26
Pioneer
United States
Quote Watsisname ()
I think thinking about it too much hurts my brain.

It doesn't have to. Think of it like this:

In a 1d universe (a line universe) an electron would be forced to land on a point in an experiment like this.
In a 2d universe (a "flatland" universe) an electron would be sent to a 1 dimensional detector. (has length and location only.)
In a 3d universe (ours) an electron hits a 2d detector.
So, following this pattern, a 4d electron in a 4d universe should hit a 3d target and create a mesurable pattern in it. They would have more details to work with just as how we have more details and a flatlander would have.(they only get clusters along a line, which wouldn't give them the same results as us as far as the pattern.

Yes, our detectors do have a third dimension as does every other object, but we can't gather 3rd dimensional data on the pattern as easily as a 4d scientist could.

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

SalvoDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 06:27 | Message # 27
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote Hornblower ()
unification of the two space-time

That creates the spacetime, but it's just space and time combined in a single mathematical model. It still doesn't see time as spatial dimension, just mathematically. (I guess?) smile

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 06:29

JackDoleDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 07:35 | Message # 28
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
Hypercube

Don't forget to look here.

Tac1017Date: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 15:53 | Message # 29
Explorer
United States
I always believed that there is an infinitely small scale, where there is no "smallest 'thing'" at all. I also believe black holes are travel ways to the nether realm, or the space between universes where every or no rules of physics and time apply. I believe in the multiverse, because saying there was only one big bang is selfish, I believe the big bang is the reaction of two inphysic particles, or particles that can follow any imaginable rule of physics.

Beyond this, I believe in the xenoverse, or the limit of concepts that can be thought of. Every xenoverse has "concepts'" so bizzare that they can't be described or even thought of.

The collective is called the omniverse, or the infinite realm, if everything possible. It has no times, no general concepts, and virtually impossible to transcend. The omniverse is the last describable "verse." The omniverse has no size, and can't be placed. In comparison to infinity, an inifinite amount of infinities can be held in the omniverse, and past this is indescribable.

The Terra Hunter of the Milky Way!

(By the way, I was born in 2001, NOT 1972 XD)

HornblowerDate: Wednesday, 05.10.2016, 16:02 | Message # 30
World Builder
United States
Well there is a smallest possible thing: It's a planck-length

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Your Science Theories (How do you think the universe/multiverse/omniverse works?)
Search: