Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Juno Thread
Juno Thread
AlekDate: Saturday, 02.07.2016, 22:26 | Message # 16
Pioneer
Group: Users
United States
Quote Hornblower ()
hydrogen-helium alloy

Cool, but I find that doubtful. Hydrogen and Helium (especially Hydrogen) have to be under insane amounts of pressure for them to be solid, if it's even possible (I'm afraid that the answer may be no due to the fact that once a mostly-hydrogen body's core gets to such high pressures, it could simply be pressed inward until fusion occurs which probably doesn't happen in Jupiter)
I find it more likely that the core of jupiter would be made of a rock-like substance crushed to the point of being a super-hard metal (liquid metalic hydrogen is exactly what it sounds like, and takes a ton of pressure to make, and the core of Jupiter would be under even more pressure, to a normal rock-type substance would end up being a metal, definitely) I just wonder how massive it is (also, the reason I think it's probably rock is because, well, how would Jupiter have grown if it had started as a hydrogen/helium-only cloud? It takes a planet to get the atmosphere going and then get the mass to star accreting as much mass as Jupiter did)

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

spacerDate: Saturday, 02.07.2016, 22:37 | Message # 17
Star Engineer
Israel
i think jupiter core is made some kind of plasma because the high pressure, maybe its will be some type of solid-plasma core.
the plasma will be so hot and dense from the pressure it will act like rock. also we must have huge amount of iron in jupiter core
because of his magnetic field (is that correct?) and if so, it could be a core of plasma-solid iron

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

Edited by spacer - Saturday, 02.07.2016, 22:40

HornblowerDate: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 00:33 | Message # 18
World Builder
United States
We will have to wait and see

steeljaw354Date: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 00:40 | Message # 19
World Builder
Pirate
I honestly think a mission to Eris or a Pluto orbiter would be more interesting.

I would wish Juno would just not burn up in the atmosphere so we could see more images of Jupiter and such, I want to see what happens if we crash it into Europa, maybe let that water flow out so we could see it?

HornblowerDate: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 00:46 | Message # 20
World Builder
United States
Quote steeljaw354 ()
I would wish Juno would just not burn up in the atmosphere so we could see more images of Jupiter and such

It's gonna stay in orbit for a long time before they de-orbit it.
Quote steeljaw354 ()
I want to see what happens if we crash it into Europa

That's what the conquistadors said before they infected all the natives in the Americas. NASA does not want to infect Europa with our bacteria because we think it might contain life. Future missions might find a disease brought to it aboard Juno has wiped out all the unique life on Europa. NASA specifically wants to avoid this by burning it up in Jupiter's atmosphere.
Quote steeljaw354 ()
maybe let that water flow out so we could see it?

No water would come out. Europa's gravity will hold it beneath the 20 km of Ice and it would freeze over again pretty quickly

Edited by Hornblower - Sunday, 03.07.2016, 00:48

steeljaw354Date: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 00:50 | Message # 21
World Builder
Pirate
I think we should at least do a Europa orbiter in a polar orbit so we could get a closer look. Maybe even a melt probe. We don't even know if there is life there. Water doesn't always mean life. Something else thats "Exotic" could easily do the same.

Could Ganymede and Callisto have oceans?

spacerDate: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 00:56 | Message # 22
Star Engineer
Israel
Quote steeljaw354 ()

there is evidence they have ones too

"we began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

-space engine photographer

steeljaw354Date: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 00:59 | Message # 23
World Builder
Pirate
So why is Europa so popular then? When we here almost nothing about Ganymede and Callisto? Europa is just an ice moon, Ganymede and Callisto have oceans aswell.

HornblowerDate: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 00:59 | Message # 24
World Builder
United States
Quote steeljaw354 ()

Data shows that Ganymede has a few thin subsurface oceans with one larger one (like Europa's) although they are saltwater.
Quote steeljaw354 ()
Maybe even a melt probe

NASA is working on it! :D
Quote steeljaw354 ()
We don't even know if there is life there

Remember, NASA doesn't like to take chances. If there is life on Europa, we could damage it.

Edited by Hornblower - Sunday, 03.07.2016, 01:02

HornblowerDate: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 01:05 | Message # 25
World Builder
United States
Quote steeljaw354 ()
So why is Europa so popular then? When we here almost nothing about Ganymede and Callisto?

Because Europa and Enceladus are the most likely candidates as of now. Either way, I have seen some articles about the possibility of life on Ganymede. Granted, there are not as many as about Europa and Enceladus

Quote steeljaw354 ()
We don't even know if there is life there

Keep in mind, the red color of these linea might be caused by some sort of bacteria that has come through cracks in the ice

Edited by Hornblower - Sunday, 03.07.2016, 01:08

steeljaw354Date: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 01:15 | Message # 26
World Builder
Pirate
Almost looks my blood.
Check these images out here, Enceladus also has streaks but they are blue, Rhea has a little red streaks on it aswell. Could indicate bacteria, seems plausible.

[/img]

Edited by steeljaw354 - Sunday, 03.07.2016, 01:19

HornblowerDate: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 01:43 | Message # 27
World Builder
United States
This is probably completely wrong, but it's worth mentioning. Whenever I look at Enceladus and see the blue linae, it makes me thing the ice is thinner there and that blue water is showing a bit.

steeljaw354Date: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 02:10 | Message # 28
World Builder
Pirate
You never know...

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 02:24 | Message # 29
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Can't embed webm on these forums but the recent banner for the Steam sale added Jupiter and Juno

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam....sh.webm

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HornblowerDate: Sunday, 03.07.2016, 02:55 | Message # 30
World Builder
United States
Never would have noticed if you didn't point it out!

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Juno Thread
Search: