ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Mars thread (Anything and everything about Mars)
Mars thread
HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 16.10.2012, 22:13 | Message # 16
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Antza2)
Well who doesn't

A lot of people actually. I've met plenty of folks who absolutely do not want to fly in space, let alone travel to Mars.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

Antza2Date: Tuesday, 16.10.2012, 22:29 | Message # 17
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
Finland
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
A lot of people actually. I've met plenty of folks who absolutely do not want to fly in space, let alone travel to Mars.

Those must be some dull people. Where is their sense of adventure?

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 16.10.2012, 22:48 | Message # 18
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Antza2)
Where is their sense of adventure?

Who needs adventure when you have Jesus and television? dry

My SE mods and addons

Antza2Date: Tuesday, 16.10.2012, 22:54 | Message # 19
World Builder
Finland
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Who needs adventure when you have Jesus and television?

Lol, TV. Does anyone watch that anymore. biggrin

Go to antza2.deviantart.com for cool photos!

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 16.10.2012, 23:08 | Message # 20
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (Antza2)
Lol, TV. Does anyone watch that anymore.

Oh yes, strange and abrasive creatures called "Americans".

My SE mods and addons

MrZombieBiscuitDate: Tuesday, 16.10.2012, 23:18 | Message # 21
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Brazil
"Mars One will take humanity to Mars in 2023, to establish the foundation of a permanent settlement from which we will prosper, learn, and grow. Before the first crew lands, Mars One will have established a habitable, sustainable settlement designed to receive new astronauts every two years. To accomplish this, Mars One has developed a precise, realistic plan based entirely upon existing technologies. It is both economically and logistically feasible, in motion through the integration of existing suppliers and experts in space exploration.

We invite you to participate in this journey, by sharing our vision with your friends, by supporting our effort and, perhaps, by becoming the next Mars astronaut yourself."

http://mars-one.com/en/

There will be a competition to evaluate your bad-assnes so that you can go to Mars which will be recorded à la Big Brother.

"Unique to Mars One will be the means by which such a large undertaking is made financially feasible. Not unlike the televised events of the Olympic Games, Mars One intends to maintain an on-going, globally televised media event, from astronaut selection to training, from lift-off to landing, to provide primary funding for this next giant leap for mankind."

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 16.10.2012, 23:22 | Message # 22
Cosmic Curator
United States
Don't get me started on Mars One... worst idea ever, I hope it fails before it starts.

My SE mods and addons

MrZombieBiscuitDate: Tuesday, 16.10.2012, 23:42 | Message # 23
Space Tourist
Brazil
At least we'll learn that sending people to another planet just to bore them to death is a bad idea.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 17.10.2012, 00:08 | Message # 24
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (MrZombieBiscuit)
At least we'll learn that sending people to another planet just to bore them to death is a bad idea.

They expect four people to live in something the size of a Dragon spacecraft FOREVER. That's not an interesting experiment, that's torture. And the whole idea of Mars One undermines the very principles of pioneering and exploration. It makes my blood boil.

My SE mods and addons

MrZombieBiscuitDate: Wednesday, 17.10.2012, 00:42 | Message # 25
Space Tourist
Brazil
They will send 2 people every year with an extra capsule, I believe.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 17.10.2012, 00:46 | Message # 26
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (MrZombieBiscuit)
They will send 2 people every year with an extra capsule, I believe.

Ah, I thought it was four. In any case, even two people living inside a Dragon forever is not something anyone would want to do. Doubly so in the context of a reality TV event. Unless you send complete idiots, which just makes the whole thing all the worse. No matter how they execute this, it can not end well.

My SE mods and addons

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 17.10.2012, 01:27 | Message # 27
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
The only balievable way to send people to Mars for a long time is:
0) Build up a powerful, fast and reliable Mars-Earth communication system - a fleet of various satellites orbiting Mars, few satellites in martian Lagrangian points (to be able to communicate when Mars is below Sun). Summaty bandwidth should be at least 1 Gbit, to be able to transfer dozens of full hd video threads.
1) Send automatic mining equipment, rover, two nuclear reactors, a supply for life support system for a few years.
2) Dig out an underground base, at least tonnels web, install nuclear reactors, air locks, test life support system.
3) Send two Earth Return Vehicles, at least like in the Mars Direct project.
4) Then send the first crew. They will already have resources for a few years and a vehicle to evacuate.
5) They will expand the base with mining vehicles, build a greenhouse and move to renewable resources.
6) Send some equipment to them frequently every 2-years (computers and other hi-tech devices, scientific instruments, clothes, medical, rovers, etc).
7) Only after this and after expanding the base you may send a new crew, with the new Earth Return Vehicle. We must have a way to quickly evacuate all people from the martian colony.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 17.10.2012, 01:35 | Message # 28
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
0)

Drops a dumb blonde joke AND starts a list with zero, all in the span of an hour. What a boss cool

All jokes aside though, yes, you would need a fairly large and expensive infrastructure to start sending people to Mars. The number one priority is comm satellites. Power could be provided by a nuclear reactor, photovoltaics, or both. Underground would be the safest place to live, because it's shielded from particle radiation. It would be best to find naturally occurring caves however, mining might not be the best solution for an initial settlement. Return vehicles would be a good option, but they would not be mandatory. Some people would certainly be willing to die on Mars if they have to. It would depend on how much it would cost, mostly. Also, in situ resource utilization, and on site manufacturing capability (3D printing) would be very important, and could drastically reduce the need to bring parts from Earth. You could simply send specifications and the colonists could make it themselves.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Wednesday, 17.10.2012, 01:39

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 17.10.2012, 03:29 | Message # 29
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Not really a photo but a series of images called a video and its about Mars.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 17.10.2012, 04:10 | Message # 30
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
a series of images called a video

OMG WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!?

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Science and Astronomy Discussions » Mars thread (Anything and everything about Mars)
Search: