ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Funding (A new idea to help SE)
Funding
gecko1501Date: Tuesday, 22.05.2012, 18:06 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Users
United States
I don't know if you have already checked this out or not. But I would highly suggest it. Kickstarter.com may be a way you can really get any funding you may need for this project. Now I forget the rules the website has in regards of other countries, but I do believe this website can help. you should really look into it! =D

KvikiDate: Wednesday, 23.05.2012, 00:17 | Message # 2
Explorer
Group: SE team
Croatia
From kickstarter:
Am I eligible to start a Kickstarter project?

To be eligible to start a Kickstarter project, you need to satisfy the requirements of Amazon Payments:

—You are 18 years of age or older.
—You are a permanent US resident with a Social Security Number (or EIN).
—You have a US address, US bank account, and US state-issued ID (driver’s license).
—You have a major US credit or debit card.

Projects must also follow the Kickstarter Guidelines.

I doubt that it can be possible, though there's always the donate button!

gecko1501Date: Wednesday, 23.05.2012, 23:11 | Message # 3
Observer
United States
WELL poop... that sucks. They need to fix that crap. I want this man to have more then just my money. sad

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 24.05.2012, 13:30 | Message # 4
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
I have registered on http://www.indiegogo.com - donating can start when new version 0.96 is ready.

curiousepicDate: Friday, 25.05.2012, 02:05 | Message # 5
Space Pilot
Group: SE team
United States
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
I have registered on http://www.indiegogo.com - donating can start when new version 0.96 is ready.

Oh, excellent! Pass the text by Robbie and I before posting it? It would be awesome to get featured on some websites like Rock Paper Shotgun, too.

My ideal preferences for visual design of the mothership and technology in SE
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 25.05.2012, 15:14 | Message # 6
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
I have difficulties with the composition of the text. Have been looking at some game projects on indiegogo - they are so different. I do not know what to write smile

werdnaforeverDate: Saturday, 26.05.2012, 07:05 | Message # 7
World Builder
Pirate
What about PayPal?

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 26.05.2012, 14:31 | Message # 8
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
PayPal won't work in Russia - they don't allow us to withdraw money from the system.

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 01.07.2012, 07:38 | Message # 9
Cosmic Curator
United States
SpaceEngineer, are you still going to start accepting donations via indiegogo following the release of 0.96? If there will be a delay there, is there any other way to contribute funds in the meantime?

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 02.07.2012, 04:45 | Message # 10
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
I will return to indiegogo when 0.96 comes out. I have trouble thinking up the main text and "awards" for those who will donate 1$, 10$, 100$. Indiegogo can provide some account collecting, so it's possible to use that information to gift a release version of the game (or online account) for generous donators, but I am not familiar with this.

Also, I need a new cool video. I would like to make a tour through SE objects with text describing the technology used for creating these objects.

werdnaforeverDate: Monday, 02.07.2012, 05:26 | Message # 11
World Builder
Pirate
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
I would like to make a tour through SE objects with text describing the technology used for creating these objects.

Sounds like a good old fashioned game engine demo reel to me. That said, this could be stunning if done right.

VladVoivodeDate: Tuesday, 12.03.2013, 13:54 | Message # 12
Astronaut
Netherlands
Mods,

If this is the wrong place for this post please feel free to move it?

I am a daily reader of gaming site Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and just yesterday one of their columnists (Cara) wrote a really gushingly great "review" of Space Engine. The response has been off the charts so a huge tip o' the hat to Vladimir! Gaining the attention of this rather major gaming site is a real boon to Vladimir's efforts and a testament to the greatness of Space Engine. If anyone here vistits RPS, you know that they can be very very jaded about games and their witty community can eviscerate a game in nanoseconds. Not so for Space Engine; people LOVE it and quite a few in the community have found Space Engine thanks to Cara's write up. The only thing is that a few responders have incorrectly stated that SE is similar to Celestia. However, more people are getting the word out that SE is really THE way to explore the cosmos. smile

Best,
Vlad

PS: Link to article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/11/2012-a-space-engine/

Edited by VladVoivode - Tuesday, 12.03.2013, 13:55

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 12.03.2013, 14:33 | Message # 13
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (VladVoivode)
The only thing is that a few responders have incorrectly stated that SE is similar to Celestia.

That statement by itself is not incorrect; SE is similar to Celestia. That was my first reaction when I used SE, and I do think of it as the spiritual successor to that program. But it is more than that of course, due to the procedural generation. So saying that it's similar to Celestia is not inaccurate, but failing to elaborate on the differences would indeed be a disservice to SE.

My SE mods and addons

VladVoivodeDate: Tuesday, 12.03.2013, 14:51 | Message # 14
Astronaut
Netherlands
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
That statement by itself is not incorrect; SE is similar to Celestia. That was my first reaction when I used SE, and I do think of it as the spiritual successor to that program. But it is more than that of course, due to the procedural generation. So saying that it's similar to Celestia is not inaccurate, but failing to elaborate on the differences would indeed be a disservice to SE.

I suppose I should have elaborated. smile Indeed the two share obvious similarities but one responder had mentioned that Celestia was successful in conveying a sense of insignificance in the universe. Perhaps it is all subjective, but, Celestia never instilled that feeling in me. Even with all of the addons, I never felt a sense that I was exploring a universe in which at any given moment I would be stunned by a new discovery. I appluad Celestia certainly for what it did, but, in my estimation HarbingerDawn, I would offer that Space Engine's closer ancestor is Noctis. While Noctis placed the explorer in an entirely fictional universe, there was at least for me a much more profound sense of being in a universe with infinite possibilities for discovery. This primitive DOS program - kudos to Alex for creating it - did much more than Celestia in terms of discovery and immersion. Noctis and Space Engine feel like living universes and Celestia feels like an (excellent) interactive planetarium. Certainly that has it merits, but, after a while in Celestia, I just got this sense that even though I hadn't seen everything, in actuality I really did "see" it all.

Last night I was taking a break from music and a 3D graphic modeling project I am doing to cruise SpaceEngine to defuse. There is a Zen like feel to SE that immediately calmed my racing thoughts and as always, this sense of pure magic that sets SE apart from Celestia in particular and "space sims" in general.

So yes, I agree with you. That said, I am truly happy that SE has garnered attention on a major site with a really tough community. smile

Best,
Vlad

HarbingerDawnDate: Tuesday, 12.03.2013, 15:32 | Message # 15
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (VladVoivode)
one responder had mentioned that Celestia was successful in conveying a sense of insignificance in the universe

I noticed that as well. I also noticed that he had never used SE smile

Quote (VladVoivode)
Noctis and Space Engine feel like living universes and Celestia feels like an (excellent) interactive planetarium.

Maybe it's because we used the programs differently, but I never really felt that way about Celestia. I used it to create worlds that I had invented for stories of mine, and to get a sense of what it would be like to actually visit those worlds. With proper use of addons - both community and personal - Celestia never really got old, because I was creating my own worlds. And in fact, the very first thing I did when I found SE was to begin porting these worlds into the program (the second thing I did was to create a lens flare mod wink ).

I can't comment on any similarities in feel between SE and Noctis since I have never used the latter program. In fact I had never heard of it before joining this forum. I suspect that SE could be seen as closer to either Celestia or Noctis depending on how each individual uses the program, and on what their past experiences were.

My SE mods and addons

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » Funding (A new idea to help SE)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: