ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » [Contest] Default ships for SE 0.972 (Submissions are closed!)
[Contest] Default ships for SE 0.972
SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 11.08.2014, 22:45 | Message # 16
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
How?

Hull made of ferromagnetic material like ferrite. But this will increase engine mass a lot.
Suggestion: make new "open" engine model without magnetic shielding, and heavy shilded one. Engines without shields must be placed far from each other, but have less mass and required less area of heat radiators, because many of parasitic gamma-ray radiation is emitted directly through the "windows" in the structural frame. This also means that nothing can be placed inside of engines, to prevent from damage by gamma radiation.

dblackDate: Tuesday, 12.08.2014, 06:55 | Message # 17
Space Tourist
Group: Users
United States
Kansas
Attachments: 3626429.jpg (102.0 Kb) · 6344353.jpg (105.0 Kb) · 8463591.jpg (85.3 Kb) · 0976939.jpg (77.9 Kb) · Kansas.sss (78.5 Kb)

SHWDate: Tuesday, 12.08.2014, 17:44 | Message # 18
Astronaut
Group: SE team
Pirate
I don't think, that gamma-ray radiation is parasitic, it heats up propellant, and increases overall efficiency of reactor. Also, radiation shielding reduces damage of other modules.

Your mind is software. Program it.
Your body is a shell. Change it.
Death is a disease. Cure it.

dampflok01Date: Wednesday, 13.08.2014, 03:48 | Message # 19
Observer
Germany
Can someone please explain briefly the rings? What is the function? I would like to construct an effective ship. Thanks in advance wink

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 13.08.2014, 04:47 | Message # 20
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote dampflok01 ()
Can someone please explain briefly the rings?

The rings are for faster-than-light travel. Specifically, they represent a real-life concept called an "Alcubierre-White" drive. The rings create a field which warps space, contracting it in front of the spacecraft and expanding it behind. A realistic warp drive ship could look something like this. Keep in mind that no part of the ship should protrude outside the rings too far, and the gap between the rings should not be too large.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 13.08.2014, 07:01 | Message # 21
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote dampflok01 ()
Can someone please explain briefly the rings?

As of right now the only rings that are really important to the ships are the thin rings. The thick rings were merely added as a suggestion for supporting a current hypothesis on FTL travel. If you have the time I would recommend watching this

Quote HarbingerDawn ()
Keep in mind that no part of the ship should protrude outside the rings too far

For reference sake within the editor this is about as far as you would realistically want to place anything. Minus the nozzle as that is a bit too far out.

However you are really not confined by these physical issues right now so any design can be submitted for the current contest. The more realistic the better but any decent functioning design will do.

Something like this would not function in real life because the field would cut the ship.

You can still submit a design like this. If you do submit a ship like this then you should still stick to some semi plausible aspect of the Alcubierre setup, so the rings should be placed directly at the center of the craft. This means that the energy required to generate a field large enough for the ship is directly proportional to the ring size and length of the ship, meaning the less balanced your ring layout the more impractical.

The goal of this contest however is to come up with realistic layouts, so the more exotic ones may be judged a bit more harshly or disregarded entirely.

If you want to be as realistic about your ship design as possible, then you should think of each ring in a similar sense to a magnet, only instead of magnetic fields you would have a spatial distortion field.

Anything within the ring and just outside the front and back would be within the safe zone, anything outside would be affected by the field.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

dblackDate: Thursday, 14.08.2014, 08:35 | Message # 22
Space Tourist
United States
What is keeping particles from ripping our ships to shreds during warp transit? I can't picture the shields provided protecting anything during a warp jump.

Can we implement Q thrusters in our designs as well?

Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
As of right now the only rings that are really important to the ships are the thin rings.

After hearing Sonny White explain Bubble topology optimization, and the amount of resources required to make a jump with thin rings. It appears ( to me at least) that your initial suggestion of adding the thicker rings is more plausible than thin ones. Am I missing something here?

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 14.08.2014, 12:51 | Message # 23
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote dblack ()
What is keeping particles from ripping our ships to shreds during warp transit?

The ship is not actually moving at such high velocities. The field is simply affecting space and making the travel distance shorter, and anything hitting a high intensity field would simply be ripped apart by tidal forces.

Quote dblack ()
Can we implement Q thrusters in our designs as well?

If you want to actually build a model and submit it, then that would probably be fine. I already talked with SpaceEngineer about them and they won't be added.

Quote dblack ()
Am I missing something here?

SpaceEngine is still a game, even though it tries to be realistic, it still has the ability to do anything for propulsion.

If you read the updated post for the contest you can see that you can still use the old hyperdrive layout. Thin rings tend to look nicer to most people and give a bit more room for design. Rings right now are simply just a test hyperdrive layout.

If you want some information on what hyperdrive setup is being discussed right now check out the posts in the Spaceflight Physics Concept thread on page 3.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 19.08.2014, 03:31 | Message # 24
World Builder
Pirate
HyperRamJet

A ramjet ship with hyperdrive capability. The ramjet is sort of like a backup just in case something goes wrong...

Attachments: 3179414.png (418.9 Kb) · 4481938.png (321.1 Kb) · 9193879.jpg (110.8 Kb) · 2110478.jpg (99.9 Kb) · 2599952.jpg (120.7 Kb)

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 19.08.2014, 15:23 | Message # 25
World Builder
Pirate
The Football

Attachments: 0935368.png (285.8 Kb) · 8091844.jpg (100.1 Kb) · 2987006.jpg (105.2 Kb) · 3274913.jpg (265.8 Kb) · 8110562.jpg (206.1 Kb) · football.sss (371.9 Kb)

Edited by werdnaforever - Tuesday, 19.08.2014, 15:26

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Tuesday, 19.08.2014, 18:02 | Message # 26
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
It's a pretty good ship but couple of small things. The in game framerate on my end is around 16 so a bit below what the rules say. You could try removing the shield a bit around the habitat modules. For realism's sake you could also add in a couple shuttle attachments, bit strange without them in such a ship.

Other than those small things, I really like it. It's a nice optimization of your previous Alcubierre football ship.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

werdnaforeverDate: Tuesday, 19.08.2014, 22:48 | Message # 27
World Builder
Pirate
Quote DoctorOfSpace ()
It's a pretty good ship but couple of small things. The in game framerate on my end is around 16 so a bit below what the rules say. You could try removing the shield a bit around the habitat modules. For realism's sake you could also add in a couple shuttle attachments, bit strange without them in such a ship.

Other than those small things, I really like it. It's a nice optimization of your previous Alcubierre football ship.

Thanks Doc, I'll try these suggestions.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I have an accurate way to gauge the framerate issue... I don't seem to have any issues with this ship but my laptop is good enough to take care of that.

Attachments: 0903778.sss (364.7 Kb)

Edited by werdnaforever - Wednesday, 20.08.2014, 00:49

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 20.08.2014, 04:08 | Message # 28
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
That edit gets me exactly 20 fps(though my system is not exactly mid range). Also it looks great and seems functional. I like that one a lot, good job. You should share the json or at least the SM file.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

dampflok01Date: Friday, 22.08.2014, 00:14 | Message # 29
Observer
Germany
Hello, I understand this: If the hyper-ring is larger, then the field is larger.
Here are two ships.
"Condor":
To protect the residential rings of the ring is greater in the front. This can act better the shuttles.
The shield protects against interplanetary flights. I've been thinking how I build.
"Romulus":
I have changed the ship. Thanks for the tips.
Best regards Dampflok01 wink

Attachments: 4011575.jpg (251.3 Kb) · Condor.sss (521.0 Kb) · 0414018.jpg (210.2 Kb) · 3774622.sss (454.7 Kb)

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 22.08.2014, 03:50 | Message # 30
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
That Condor one is pretty cool, I like that one.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Forum » SpaceEngine » Development Status » [Contest] Default ships for SE 0.972 (Submissions are closed!)
Search: