[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Making Nebulae
Making Nebulae
RobbieDate: Sunday, 17.07.2011, 09:48 | Message # 1
Pioneer
Group: Global Moderators
United Kingdom
I was wondering if it would be possible to create our own nebulae in the engine. We know it can be done with the planets now, as your latest tutorial shows, but it would be great if we could do the same with nebulae. Is it something you have planned?

I've already seen these two folder:

\SpaceEngine 0.94\data\textures\nebulae
\SpaceEngine 0.94\data\catalogs\nebulae

So I'm assuming it's possible to create them.

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit
Add Your PC Spec To Your Signature Or Post It Here

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 17.07.2011, 15:56 | Message # 2
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Of cource it is possible. But the method I use to create nebulae from files are bad. You can only make sphere-like nebulae (look at the "Ring nebula"), or the horrible diffuse nebula (look at "M16" or "M42"). I plan to completely rewrite nebula code, add procedural parameters or even add some sort of 3D editor, so it will be possible to place every sprite of nebula individually.

I think writing a tutorial about nebula makes no sense for now.

RobbieDate: Sunday, 17.07.2011, 21:19 | Message # 3
Pioneer
United Kingdom
Thanks for that information. I like your plan to include procedural parameters. And if you ever implement a 3d editor as well, even better. I look forward to these future developments.

Quad Core i7 930 CPU o/c 3.8 GHz - 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM - ATI HD 5870 1024Mb - Intel SSD X25-M Gen 2 - Win 7 64-bit

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 18.07.2011, 01:15 | Message # 4
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
You can change standard nebula models by editing textures (in "data\textures\nebulae" folder) and playing with script parameters ("\data\models\nebulae\Models.cfg"). Or add your own models, taking standard nebulae as template. Nebula models called "Diff0", "Diff1", "Diff2", "Plan0", "Plan1", "Plan2", "SNR0", "SNR1", "SNR2" are the default nebulae with procedural generated shapes. You can only control color, size and density of sprites. SpaceEngine now uses only 9 pre-defined nebulae models, it won't generate unique models for each nebula (and galaxy btw), like it does for planets. This is another field of work for the future.

RodrigoDate: Monday, 18.07.2011, 15:25 | Message # 5
Explorer
Group: Local Moderators
Brazil
Can you tell me how does that work? For example, i want to make planetary nebulae more diffuse-like.
Another thing, where can i find the other types of nebula? I've only found the planetary ones

RobbieDate: Monday, 18.07.2011, 16:06 | Message # 6
Pioneer
United Kingdom
Here's a pretty nebula. How about this one? cool

I think composite images of SNR/nebulae look far nicer like this, it's better than the real thing.

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 18.07.2011, 16:44 | Message # 7
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote (Rodrigo)
Can you tell me how does that work? For example, I want to make planetary nebulae more diffuse-like.

This is impossible with current version.

Quote (Rodrigo)
Another thing, where can i find the other types of nebula? I've only found the planetary ones

Increase galaxy magintude (Shift-]), then you can see pink dots - these are the diffuse nebulae, increase it some more, and you can see green dots - these are the planetary nebulae and supernovae remnants. Disable star clusters before you do this though.

Quote (Robbie)
Here's a pretty nebula. How about this one?

This is bad example. Firstly, this is Cassiopeia A - a supernova remnant, not planetary nebula. Secondly, this is a multi-wavelangth composite image, red channel is infrared, green is visible, blue is x-ray. Here is visible light image from Hubble:

SpaceEngine shows you the Universe only in visible light spectrum, so look carefully at textures that you want to use for creating objects. It is done for correctness, to avoid deluding other users.

Here is an example of a planetary nebula in real colors (visible light):

RodrigoDate: Thursday, 21.07.2011, 15:55 | Message # 8
Explorer
Brazil
Concerning neutron stars, i have only found them inside planetary nebulas. I thought i should see them in supernova remnants, and white dwarfs in planetary nebulas. Is this right or I got my physics wrong?

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 22.07.2011, 01:03 | Message # 9
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Yes, this is right. Try to find them again (maybe it's sort of a bug - only neutron stars everywhere?)

Update Ouch, this is a bug! I checked my code and found that I had forced neutron star generation in planetary nebula, then I debugged them, and forgot to disable this forcing. smile

RodrigoDate: Friday, 22.07.2011, 02:28 | Message # 10
Explorer
Brazil
It would be nice to associate them with supernova remnants, though.
By the way, loved that spinning effect on them.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » Making Nebulae
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: