ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » MOD - Creating galaxies, nebulae and star clusters 0.980 (How to add your own galaxies)
MOD - Creating galaxies, nebulae and star clusters 0.980
KvikiDate: Sunday, 29.07.2012, 15:00 | Message # 16
Explorer
Group: SE team
Croatia
Here it is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43860080/galaxies.rar

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 29.07.2012, 15:49 | Message # 17
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote (Kviki)
It becomes all red.

Wait, you mean it all shows as red in photoshop? That is because the default option in PS for showing transparency in a layer mask is by coloring it red. The alpha channel itself carries no color information and would not affect the color of the dust in the galaxy.

You can adjust this option by right-clicking on the mask thumbnail and selecting "Mask Options".

After messing around with your files in PS for a bit I got fed up because it's just too complicated to try to do anything there, so I would have to make GIMP tutorial...

Also, your sys image was not square. All textures need to be square (easily fixable).

After looking at your files in GIMP it appears that there's nothing wrong with them, you did everything correctly. I would have made the dust differently, but everything should work as it is. Just change the canvas size of the sys image to 2048*2048 and you'll be good to go.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

KvikiDate: Sunday, 29.07.2012, 16:57 | Message # 18
Explorer
Croatia
(Copied
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
Wait, you mean it all shows as red in photoshop? That is because the default option in PS for showing transparency in a layer mask is by coloring it red. The alpha channel itself carries no color information and would not affect the color of the dust in the galaxy.

FINALLY! Thanks!. I managed to do it properly. It's perfect now.

Quote (Kviki)
Also, your sys image was not square. All textures need to be square (easily fixable).

Seems I placed the not-fixed ones in the zip biggrin

The only issue left is the dust sprites.
Here's how they look:

As you can see there are only a few colored sprites, rest of it is completely black.

Attachments: 0972901.jpg (59.2 Kb)

Edited by Kviki - Sunday, 29.07.2012, 16:59

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 29.07.2012, 17:38 | Message # 19
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
The dust and light sprites are generated based on small texture (called for example M51_small.png). This is a reduced to 128*128 version of main front texture, with dust in alpha of course.

SolarisDate: Sunday, 29.07.2012, 18:44 | Message # 20
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
France
Kviki, I have very few advice to give, but one thing I have did is taking a hubble pic of M51 , and trying to make my own textures of it, as close as possible to the SE textures, and it helped me a lot to understand how it work.

KvikiDate: Sunday, 29.07.2012, 19:33 | Message # 21
Explorer
Croatia
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
The dust and light sprites are generated based on small texture (called for example M51_small.png). This is a reduced to 128*128 version of main front texture, with dust in alpha of course.

I'll see if I can make it work once I get some time. However, in my early attempts I only resized the big color texture to 128x128, made it grayscale and it still didn't work.

Quote (Solaris)
Kviki, I have very few advice to give, but one thing I have did is taking a hubble pic of M51 , and trying to make my own textures of it, as close as possible to the SE textures, and it helped me a lot to understand how it work.

I figured out most of it
Still didn't bother fixing the dust sprites thingy though.
Question for you Solaris: did you make the galaxyname_small textures by only reducing the size, or did you make any additions?

(The galaxy texture I posted earlier is a modified M51 biggrin )

Edited by Kviki - Sunday, 29.07.2012, 19:34

SolarisDate: Sunday, 29.07.2012, 19:38 | Message # 22
World Builder
Group: Global Moderators
France
Quote (Kviki)
Question for you Solaris: did you make the galaxyname_small textures by only reducing the size

yes, that's the way I do.

Edited by Solaris - Sunday, 29.07.2012, 20:30

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 29.07.2012, 20:34 | Message # 23
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
You shouldn't made it grayscale.

KvikiDate: Sunday, 29.07.2012, 21:00 | Message # 24
Explorer
Croatia
Actually I did change it back to rgb a while ago, it's still black.
Here's what the _small texture looks like now

The only way I managed to change the colors was to invert the small texture. Though then it was all white instead (in RGB)

Attachments: 9376221.png (50.8 Kb)

Edited by Kviki - Sunday, 29.07.2012, 21:02

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 29.07.2012, 23:18 | Message # 25
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Your texture is simply too dark. You should play with parameters in script to make SE generate more sprites.

KvikiDate: Monday, 30.07.2012, 00:16 | Message # 26
Explorer
Croatia
Quote (SpaceEngineer)
Your texture is simply too dark. You should play with parameters in script to make SE generate more sprites.

Thanks for the help everyone! Finally managed to do everything properly. Now I'll start over with completely new galaxy textures. Increasing brightness by 200 did the trick for the dust sprites.

VoekoevakaDate: Saturday, 25.08.2012, 17:15 | Message # 27
World Builder
France
I've been trying to make my own nebulas, using the "cubemap" generator, and I have some problems : firstly, when I use a colored image, the engine draws a monochrome nebula, and I can change the color with the parameter absParticleColor, but the result is still unicolor.
Secondly, I tried to make a nebula with a bright center and a dark edge, and I take a high value for absParticleBrightnessCenter and a low value for absParticleBrightnessEdge. But I don't see any brightness gradient.
I delete the cache folder each time I change a parameter.

Want some music of mine ? Please go here !

smjjamesDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 20:15 | Message # 28
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
Is it possible to add a model to an elliptical or spherical galaxy? I mean like the way spirals are. The reason I'm asking is because there is a catalog galaxy with a much smaller lenticular galaxy right inside it that looks like it would be cool to make a model for.

I don't remember the name of it (NGC some number.....) and I haven't looked at images of it to see if it would be possible to do both, or maybe just the smaller galaxy.

SpaceEngineerDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 22:07 | Message # 29
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
No, it's impossible. Elliptical galaxies are rendered with precomputed raycasting. All that's needed for the algorithm is the size and oblateness of the ellipsoid. Elliptical galaxies cannot use sprites to create a custom shape.

smjjamesDate: Tuesday, 25.09.2012, 06:01 | Message # 30
World Builder
Group: Users
United States
It would be cool to have bits of gas or something, but yeah, elliptical galaxies are pretty much featureless.

I can try to see if the galaxy it's eating can be given a model, and thats an IF because its right inside the elliptical galaxy and might not be able to be given a model properly.

Or not, the best I can find is a fuzzy photo which does not lend itself to making good models in SE. http://news.sky-map.org/starvie....cale=EN

They're apparently also early type galaxies, despite being 373 million light years away rather than a few biliion, so I dunno.

Also, when I was looking at the hubble link posted in the OP, saw the antennae galaxies, checked in SE and they are many millions of light years apart, I don't think they are actually that far apart in reality. Looks like the Antennae galaxies would be an interesting model to create.

Edited by smjjames - Tuesday, 25.09.2012, 08:04

Forum » SpaceEngine » Mods and Addons » MOD - Creating galaxies, nebulae and star clusters 0.980 (How to add your own galaxies)
Search: