• Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » SE Multiplayer madness
SE Multiplayer madness
SharpshooterDate: Saturday, 04.08.2012, 15:35 | Message # 1
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Greece
Imagine SE multiplayer with over 500 players playing in a server. Imagine the madness. Watching others travelling in spaceships , groups of spaceships landing and exploring together in planets. Maybe some racing action or something like this. Teams controlling specific part of the spacecraft making a true space travelling experience!!!

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 04.08.2012, 16:00 | Message # 2
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Of course, with 500 players and a nearly infinite universe, no one would ever see each other unless they wanted to wink

Hopefully there would be more than 500 players. Maybe 2 thousand or more smile

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

apenpaapDate: Saturday, 04.08.2012, 18:29 | Message # 3
World Builder
Antarctica
Yeah, given the size of the SE universe, I'd guess our own Solar System would be the only place people would ever run into each other.

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Saturday, 04.08.2012, 19:53 | Message # 4
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
You'd probably end up with a large amount of players within the Sol system. I suspect that and the Centauri systems would have the most players since they are the most familiar systems. Outside of those 2 systems I doubt you would ever really run into another player.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 04.08.2012, 20:15 | Message # 5
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
Outside of those 2 systems I doubt you would ever really run into another player.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a few in places like Epsilon Eridani, Tau Ceti, Epsilon Indi and others commonly found in sci-fi.
I can't really relate to all the Sol system players; I'd be out exploring the stars smile

My SE mods and addons

SharpshooterDate: Saturday, 04.08.2012, 21:30 | Message # 6
Space Tourist
Greece
So it would be funny to see each other ( at least for one time biggrin ) and then we are lost in space and time , but you can set limits to the Universe for example only Solar system and the nearby systems so we can move across certain stars

KvikiDate: Saturday, 04.08.2012, 23:24 | Message # 7
Explorer
Group: SE team
Croatia
1. Make monthly fee 15€/month
2. Randomly place each player's spawn point in the universe
3. Set the goal of the game to be the search for another player
4. ???
5. Profit!

Edited by Kviki - Saturday, 04.08.2012, 23:24

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 05.08.2012, 03:55 | Message # 8
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I wouldn't be surprised to find a few in places like Epsilon Eridani, Tau Ceti, Epsilon Indi and others commonly found in sci-fi.

True but you would have to be in relatively close proximity to those people. A few KM away from their ship and you can't see it anymore. Space is big, planets are big, and ships are pretty small. Thats why I think you would probably not see anyone outside of Sol or the Centauri systems because in those 2 systems people would be around common bodies.

Quote (HarbingerDawn)
I can't really relate to all the Sol system players; I'd be out exploring the stars

Sol makes for a great starting and ending place though. After all its the home system.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Edited by DoctorOfSpace - Sunday, 05.08.2012, 03:55

HarbingerDawnDate: Sunday, 05.08.2012, 04:05 | Message # 9
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (DoctorOfSpace)
A few KM away from their ship and you can't see it anymore.

I would think that there would be some kind of marker showing other people's ships in your vicinity, perhaps spanning the entire star system. In map mode maybe you could see people in other systems. You would be able to "run into" people without really running into them.

There should probably be some list of players in your system as a UI element. Also a "system chat" feature for talking with other players in your vicinity.

My SE mods and addons

Edited by HarbingerDawn - Sunday, 05.08.2012, 04:06

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 05.08.2012, 04:40 | Message # 10
Galaxy Architect
Pirate
Quote (HarbingerDawn)
There should probably be some list of players in your system as a UI element. Also a "system chat" feature for talking with other players in your vicinity.

A neat feature would be a light pulse radar like system. If you have ever played Universe Sandbox or Mass Effect 3 you might get what I'm talking about. Basically you fire a pulse, and in the case of Space Engine, it moves off at the speed of light and when it hits something a signal is bounced back at the speed of light.

That would be a great realistic system scanner feature for SE.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

SharpshooterDate: Sunday, 05.08.2012, 12:24 | Message # 11
Space Tourist
Greece
Yeah something like a radar and a chat system would be a good idea and we may consider making different game types like in all other games . Some ideas 1) Exploring 2) Racing 3) Spaceship Commanding(Teams)

Hasforjs97Date: Monday, 06.08.2012, 21:37 | Message # 12
Space Pilot
Group: Translators
Spain
It would be nice that you could target players by name if they let you to do it, like if they were sending a signal to you indicating their position, and then you could "warp" to them to go together

My desktop:
Pentium G3260 @ 3.30GHz
8.0 GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 5570 1GB

planethunter13Date: Wednesday, 15.08.2012, 20:25 | Message # 13
Astronaut
United States
if we played multiplayer space engine, what would our space engine character/ship look like?

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 15.08.2012, 20:48 | Message # 14
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote (planethunter13)
if we played multiplayer space engine, what would our space engine character/ship look like?

Perhaps like some of the ships that have already been put into the program. Perhaps not. A multiplayer game is still a long time from being released.

My SE mods and addons

Joey_PenguinDate: Thursday, 16.08.2012, 03:25 | Message # 15
Pioneer
United States
Space is so big that light takes a while to get anywhere, far longer than the average internet user's attention span. Perhaps instead of a light pulse, we could have a marker system for each ship. If a player wants to explore with friends, he can find their ships with their markers. If he wants to be left alone, then he can turn his marker off. It would also help, of course, for you to be able to communicate.

Careful. The PLATT Collective has spurs.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » SE Multiplayer madness
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: