• «
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » SE Multiplayer madness
SE Multiplayer madness
DoctorOfSpaceDate: Thursday, 16.08.2012, 03:32 | Message # 16
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote (Joey_Penguin)
far longer than the average internet user's attention span.

Not if you limit it to a system or smaller units of measure like 1 AU.

If the goal is realism then such a thing would be required to keep the realistic feel up.

Quote (Joey_Penguin)
If a player wants to explore with friends, he can find their ships with their markers. If he wants to be left alone, then he can turn his marker off. It would also help, of course, for you to be able to communicate.

That idea would be cool. Each ship comes with a locating beacon and if a player so chooses they can turn it off. I think that would work great.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

Ignuus66Date: Thursday, 07.02.2013, 21:48 | Message # 17
Space Tourist
Group: Users
Hungary
Why not have it become a civilization building MMO? (in a random galaxy you generate and choose)
First contact would mean first time meeting another player biggrin
Perhaps a life building/civilization building game, and at the start you get assigned a random planet with life.
It would be the ultimate civilization game spore promised to be, but in multiplayer!
Of course we would have to make playing on your own fun... since first contact even with 1 million+ players would be a rare event....

SalvoDate: Friday, 08.02.2013, 14:24 | Message # 18
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote (Ignuus66)
Why not have it become a civilization building MMO? (in a random galaxy you generate and choose)
First contact would mean first time meeting another player biggrin
Perhaps a life building/civilization building game, and at the start you get assigned a random planet with life.
It would be the ultimate civilization game spore promised to be, but in multiplayer!
Of course we would have to make playing on your own fun... since first contact even with 1 million+ players would be a rare event....

This smells like Spore, that's a good idea but maybe Space Engine is more an exploration game, and then you don't have many ways to communicate with other players, you would play alone most of time, so you might as well play single player biggrin

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Ignuus66Date: Friday, 08.02.2013, 22:55 | Message # 19
Space Tourist
Hungary
Quote (Salvo)
This smells like Spore, that's a good idea but maybe Space Engine is more an exploration game, and then you don't have many ways to communicate with other players, you would play alone most of time, so you might as well play single player

Indeed, it would be a mostly singeplayer game, but every now and then you might come across another player, have a war, exchange technologies ect... It would indeed be a rare occurance, but remember that if the galaxy in question is half the size of the milky way, the chances increase considerably. If say a singe persons solar empire consisted of 20 systems, and there were 10000 players (a very optimistic estimate) then there would be 200 thousand colonized systems, and If a seti program project is implemented, a player seeking other players could possibly find them. Of course one can invest in stealth technologies if they do not want to be found.... Or something like that.

neutronium76Date: Saturday, 09.02.2013, 12:16 | Message # 20
World Builder
Greece
Quote (Ignuus66)
if the galaxy in question is half the size of the milky way, the chances increase considerably. If say a singe persons solar empire consisted of 20 systems, and there were 10000 players (a very optimistic estimate) then there would be 200 thousand colonized systems, and If a seti program project is implemented, a player seeking other players could possibly find them

Hmm lets see: If the galaxy in question is half the size of Milky Way it would contain approximately 100,000,000,000 (one hundred billion) star systems since scientists estimate our galaxy contains around double that figure (at least). So 200,000 colonized systems devided by 100,000,000,000 x100 = 0.0002 % colonized ratio of galaxy. Ehm I think it is still too empty biggrin

That being said I think the flag/marker idea is a good one (at least in universe map mod). Combined together with a radiobeacon pulse signal that travels at lightspeed with the addition of time acceleration but only for the pulse, can add an extra tint of realism as well smile

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

Edited by neutronium76 - Saturday, 09.02.2013, 12:26

TimDate: Saturday, 09.02.2013, 12:38 | Message # 21
Explorer
Belgium
Euhm, doesn't the Milky Way count about 100 billion, making half of them 50 billion.

neutronium76Date: Saturday, 09.02.2013, 12:51 | Message # 22
World Builder
Greece
At least 100 Bn. and up to 400bn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way. So 200bn is a good guestimate wink . But even so the % colonized systems would double to 0.0004 % - still too empty IMHO wink

PC1:Core i7 970@3.34GHz, 6 cores/12 threads, 12GB DDR3 RAM@1.34GHz, 2x(SLI) GTX-580 GPUs 3GB VRAM(GDDR5)@1GHz, OS:Win7x64SP1
PC2:Core2Quad X9770@3.2GHz, 2 cores/4 threads 4GB DDR2 RAM@1GHz, GTX-285 GPU 1GB VRAM(DDR3)@1.24GHz, OS:WinVistax64SP2

DisasterpieceDate: Saturday, 09.02.2013, 19:17 | Message # 23
World Builder
United States
I think it is a good thing that you would only meet players in the most frequented systems. I have feeling sol and centauri would become a troll habitat and you wouldn't be able to get within 50 km of a starport without being shot at or annoyed.

I play teh spase engien

Edited by Disasterpiece - Saturday, 09.02.2013, 19:17

TimDate: Saturday, 09.02.2013, 20:37 | Message # 24
Explorer
Belgium
As I've said before, spacecrafts shouldn't be able to shoot at each other. Btw, even if you put 10,000 spacecrafts in the solar system, you'd have to be lucky to make an encounter.

Ignuus66Date: Friday, 15.02.2013, 18:36 | Message # 25
Space Tourist
Hungary
Quote (neutronium76)
At least 100 Bn. and up to 400bn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way. So 200bn is a good guestimate . But even so the % colonized systems would double to 0.0004 % - still too empty IMHO

Exactly the point, meeting other civilizations and people should be a rarity, and the reason I think that we should choose some random galaxy is so that we can adjust the variables later, perhaps even choose tiny dwarf galaxies, and that there would be no "griefer" zones where everyone goes. what I think is a good thing is an essentially single player game with a dash of multiplayer late game. (like spore but realistic)

min473Date: Saturday, 24.09.2016, 19:20 | Message # 26
Observer
Group: Newbies
Italy
As a character (for the multiplayer planetarium) I would prefer something spherical that can moove as fast as the camera, let me explain better: the more you are near a planet, the more the "sphere" gets smaller, if you are travelling with a firend between stars the sphere player model would be huuuuuge!
In this way you can never loose your firend.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » SE Multiplayer madness
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search: