ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Ability to walk on planets as an astronaut
Ability to walk on planets as an astronaut
NoahesFrioDate: Wednesday, 25.07.2012, 19:58 | Message # 1
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Hello. I am new to this forum as I only heard about the game recently (in a comment on reddit) and it sounded quite interesting. After spending several amazing hours in the simulator I have one minor suggestion. This is not exactly "gameplay" like most of the threads here (I'm not sure if this belongs somewhere else on the Forum), but instead something simply to add to the experience.

I think it would be really amazing if the player could just press a button to immediately beam down a player-controlled astronaut onto any body with a rocky surface. The astronaut would just look like a generic space suited figure, and it would be controlled like either a character from an FPS game or a Third Person game. From there the player could just walk around and explore the surface of the world on foot.

I am aware that there is already the "land on" option in game, and it is one of my favorite features for the player. However, since the idea of standing on an alien world has always fascinated me, I think it could be taken a step further with the astronaut device I described above.

I'm no expert, so I have no idea, but I think the basic idea would add a lot to the game without being too difficult to implement. If it is not impossible to design, later updates might even allow the astronaut to jump and see how he is affected by gravity (ie "Moon Jumping").

I don't think there's any reason to require a fancy method of landing the astronaut (like a "lunar lander" or something). Just a button that instantly places your astronaut on the surface of the world.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I looked around and I couldn't find anything about it.

What does everybody think about this?

Edited by NoahesFrio - Wednesday, 25.07.2012, 20:17

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Wednesday, 25.07.2012, 20:12 | Message # 2
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
I think its been mentioned plenty of times before. Most likely will be added in a much later version though.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 25.07.2012, 20:15 | Message # 3
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Hello NoahesFrio, welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to read the forum rules.

There are already plans for the future, when actual gameplay is implemented, to be able to go down to the surface of planets and explore. This is currently impossible in the current version of the engine due to a limitation in the mesh resolution of planets, so you can only get within 10 meters of the surface. Also, because of that same limitation, as well as having a lack of any 3D scenery objects, there would be very little to see or do when moving at a walking pace on the surface of planets now.

You could attempt to simulate walking on these planets currently by bringing the camera as close as possible to the surface of the planet, setting the speed to a walking pace (1-2 m/s) and holding down the [F] key to stay on the ground.

After spending an hour that way by moving slowly along a blurry hillside though, you might get a little bored.

You can also import an astronaut into the game as a "spacecraft" using the experimental spacecraft functionality added in this version. Simply find a 3D astronaut model, and follow the instructions here: http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-719-1
I know it's not what you're looking for, but it's the most that can be accomplished in the present version. In the future there will be functionality more like what you're talking about.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

NoahesFrioDate: Wednesday, 25.07.2012, 21:01 | Message # 4
Observer
United States
All right. I didn't realize the planets werent's suited for this yet.

You could attempt to simulate walking on these planets currently by bringing the camera as close as possible to the surface of the planet, setting the speed to a walking pace (1-2 m/s) and holding down the [F] key to stay on the ground.

Thanks for the suggestion!

After spending an hour that way by moving slowly along a blurry hillside though, you might get a little bored.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I wasn't expecting to spend hours "exploring" planets as they currently are, I just thought it would be interesting to stand on the surface of another world (even one without an atmosphere) and look up at the solar system and the vastness of space from that perspective. I think it would be good for screenshots, and also helping to put into perspective how tiny humans truly are in the universe.

In the future there will be functionality more like what you're talking about.

That's good to hear and I am looking forward to it. I think there are many possibilities for it besides what I mentioned above (like interacting with the world, mining, sampling, etc.). Of course I realize the majority of those things will have to wait quite a while to be implemented (as they are complex and not top priority), however I would like to see the basics of the astronaut functionality implemented sooner (this is just my opinion, I realize others may not agree and of course it is all the developers' choice.)

Edited by NoahesFrio - Wednesday, 25.07.2012, 21:02

KospYDate: Wednesday, 25.07.2012, 21:01 | Message # 5
Observer
France
Is possible to add a fourth mode, called first person view ?

This mode will :

- Force the view to stick approximately 1,7meter from the ground.
- Disable the ufo style movement.
- Only authorize forward, backward on the ground in the mouse direction
- Limit the speed to something realistic for a human (walk, run)
- Limit the vertical view to 90 degree, and move the view in relation to the ground (like any F.P.S.)

With this mode, i think we can realize better the "size" of the world compared to human scale B), and it's fun biggrin .
I don't know if it easy to implement, but consider it like a first step for the game biggrin

NeonDate: Wednesday, 25.07.2012, 21:02 | Message # 6
Explorer
Group: SE team
Australia
This is something in the TODO list I think. Good idea to add,
n I'm looking forward to it smile

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 25.07.2012, 21:02 | Message # 7
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
This is hard to implement. It requres collision detection and movement physics. So no, it is not the first step to the game. The first step will be to do the physics for spaceships flights, that is much more easier than walking. But walking will be inplemented too, so you will be able to leave your shuttle and walk and jump over the planet surface, and even compare planet's gravity with Earth's.

BlackArkDate: Wednesday, 25.07.2012, 21:02 | Message # 8
Space Pilot
Group: Users
United States
Will it be possitble to walk around on the planet's surface and will there be a modle person on it's surface?

EmilyWright97Date: Monday, 18.02.2013, 15:45 | Message # 9
Observer
United States
When I'm on a planet i usually keep pressing F to stay attached to the ground, there is a way to keep the camera attached to a fixed height, and keep it aligned to the horizon? It could be nice and could simulate walking until real walking will be implemented!

(Maybe it can be done with a script but i have no idea how to do that)

Yeah! :D

TimDate: Monday, 18.02.2013, 16:58 | Message # 10
Explorer
Belgium
Press G wink

SolarisDate: Monday, 18.02.2013, 19:04 | Message # 11
World Builder
France
EmilyWright97, you'll have some answers in this thread, but for now I think the best you can do to simulate walking is to do what you are already doing.

EmilyWright97Date: Monday, 18.02.2013, 22:55 | Message # 12
Observer
United States
Mhhh, do you think that we could make it with a script? Unfortunately i don't know so much about it sad

Yeah! :D

SolarisDate: Tuesday, 19.02.2013, 05:01 | Message # 13
World Builder
France
Neither do I.. Sorry.

AlienartDate: Monday, 04.07.2016, 18:48 | Message # 14
Space Tourist
United States
Quote HarbingerDawn ()

I'm a bit late to the party in necroposting to this thread. I just wanted to add I've found it very convincing and satisfying to do the above procedure but make the speed a little faster. It feels like you're in a surface rover exploration vehicle rolling over hills and valleys. Nothing boring about it!

I make sure I've hit the [END] key to center my view to the horizontal. I also keep the LOD setting very low so the land generates quickly enough, then boost the LOD all the way up if I want to take a picture / screenshot.

SalvoDate: Tuesday, 05.07.2016, 06:20 | Message # 15
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote Alienart ()
I make sure I've hit the [END] key to center my view to the horizontal.

The reason why I don't do it it's because when you rotate the camera with your mouse, it tends to roll a bit, so if you want to look around you soon get your horizon unaligned.

This is not really a bug, it's because the space on SpaceEngine has not a common "upwards", so everything is calculated using advanced geometry and approximation errors leads to this issue, but that's a logic consequence. When this issue will be fixed (or just bypassed) I will probably start exploring the surface of the planets. smile

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Forum » SpaceEngine » Gameplay Discussions » Ability to walk on planets as an astronaut
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: